• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice on buying Kierland resale

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Aventuras - Lagunamar
Westin Flex - River Front Villas
Hi everyone,

We are relatively new owners, buying Westin Avenuras at Westin Lagunamar in Sept. 2019 and added Westin Flex at Westin Riverfront Villas in Beaver Creek earlier this year in February. We absolutely love the program so far and are so glad we listened to our friends who are Aventuras & Flex owners and went to a presentation!

Now, I'm looking to buy a resale 2 bedroom lock-off at Westin Kierland so that we will have it later in our lives when we have more time to travel. Here are the details:

81k options every other year
Deeded
Week 39 (medium season)
Maint. Fees $1800

Since we bought a bucket of options at each presentation, I'm not familiar with some of the terms I'm seeing in these resale listing such as "floating weeks" The listing I'm considering says its for week 39 and the owner said "If you choose not to convert into the Options that year then you would use that week, if you want to go to the Kireland resort for another week then you would convert into Options and book them into another date.

What does "convert into Options" mean? If I buy this, am I not buying the 81k options to use every other year? I don't understand the "convert into Options lingo"

I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
So you are not buying Westin Flex you are buying a deeded property, Westin Flex is a different animal. Week 39 would be automatically reserved for you each year/two years but you can cancel that and use the associated Star Options to reserve at Kierland or any other Vistana property at 8 months or less. The ownership can also be deposited for trade in Interval International or the Star Options can be banked with Vistana (before 7/1) for use in future years.

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you are not buying Westin Flex you are buying a deeded property, Westin Flex is a different animal. Week 39 would be automatically reserved for you each year/two years but you can cancel that and use the associated Star Options to reserve at Kierland or any other Vistana property at 8 months or less. The ownership can also be deposited for trade in Interval International or the Star Options can be banked with Vistana (before 7/1) for use in future years.

Ahh thanks for that info. We basically want to buy more options to use in the years to come. I take it this deeded property isn't the way to go about buying more options? I'm all ears for any other advice you have :)

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
If you buy a "Mandatory Resort" (Vistana has mandatory and non mandatory staroption conversion) which Westin Kierland, WKORV, WKORV-North and 2 sections of Sheraton Vistana Villiages (Key West/Bella I believe) as well as Harborside and a phase of St John you can convert to star options.

When you buy Westin Kierland you can reserve your westin kierland at 8 to 12 months prior to check in. At 8 months and less your unit is converted to star options which can be used at any of the vistana resorts that have availability.

Thus for resale "Mandatory resorts" are usually more costly. IMO if you only need 81,000 options every other year and do not need the priority 8-12 month booking window at your home resort (westin Kierland) than I would consider purchasing the small platinum unit which as lower maintenance fees or a 1 bedroom that yield 81,000 star options every year for the same MF you are paying for a "gold" 2 bedroom with 2x the Maintenance fee.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Ahh thanks for that info. We basically want to buy more options to use in the years to come. I take it this deeded property isn't the way to go about buying more options? I'm all ears for any other advice you have :)
No this isn’t the one to get, if you want 81K star options from a deeded week, look for a standard 2 bedroom platinum at Sheraton vistana villages key west or Bella phase only.

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No this isn’t the one to get, if you want 81K star options from a deeded week, look for a standard 2 bedroom platinum at Sheraton vistana villages key west or Bella phase only.

I'm so "green" when it comes to the terms. Whew! Until today, I've never heard of Mandatory vs. Non-Mandatory, Deeded weeks, etc. Lots to learn!

I just know that we wanted to add more options (at least 81k every other year) to our portfolio without buying at a sales presentation. Other owners advised us to buy the other options via ebay, redweek, etc. and we would get a much better deal than buying at a presentation. That's my goal. Just not familiar enough with all the terms to know how to best accomplish this.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I'm so "green" when it comes to the terms. Whew! Until today, I've never heard of Mandatory vs. Non-Mandatory, Deeded weeks, etc. Lots to learn!

I just know that we wanted to add more options (at least 81k every other year) to our portfolio without buying at a sales presentation. Other owners advised us to buy the other options via ebay, redweek, etc. and we would get a much better deal than buying at a presentation. That's my goal. Just not familiar enough with all the terms to know how to best accomplish this.
Yes, eBay and redweek are great as is the marketplace here.

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, eBay and redweek are great as is the marketplace here.

In your opinion, what would be the easiest way to basically buy more options that I can use every other year? Of course, low Maintenance Fees are also important. I'm at a loss now that the mandatory v. non-mandatory, deeded vs. non deeded terms are being used. I'm willing to learn though! I've been scouring the internet trying to educate myself. I'm ready to buy, but want to make sure I know what I'm looking for.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
In your opinion, what would be the easiest way to basically buy more options that I can use every other year? Of course, low Maintenance Fees are also important. I'm at a loss now that the mandatory v. non-mandatory, deeded vs. non deeded terms are being used. I'm willing to learn though! I've been scouring the internet trying to educate myself. I'm ready to buy, but want to make sure I know what I'm looking for.
Sheraton vistana villages key west or Bella phase 2 bedroom standard worth 81K options. Look for an every other year unit. It’s just that simple

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton vistana villages key west or Bella phase 2 bedroom standard worth 81K options. Look for an every other year unit. It’s just that simple

Thank you! I'm looking into those today. I appreciate the guidance

KS2beach

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WRF 2007
WKV 2019
SMV 2006
MVC 2020

We bought resale there last year- 81,000 options- gold plus season- you can use it at any of the properties like when you buy full price ones, took about 60 days total to close- we paid $1600 for one we bought- and about $600 total for closing costs- very happy with the purchase.

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We bought resale there last year- 81,000 options- gold plus season- you can use it at any of the properties like when you buy full price ones, took about 60 days total to close- we paid $1600 for one we bought- and about $600 total for closing costs- very happy with the purchase.

Very nice! And those 81,000 options are exactly what we are looking for. I'm looking into it now. And there are no restrictions on the resell options you received when you purchased? I assume Vistana treats them the same as the options we buy from one of their presentations?

KS2beach

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WRF 2007
WKV 2019
SMV 2006
MVC 2020
Very nice! And those 81,000 options are exactly what we are looking for. I'm looking into it now. And there are no restrictions on the resell options you received when you purchased? I assume Vistana treats them the same as the options we buy from one of their presentations?
They show up just like the ones we paid full price for. All treated the same. There are only 2 properties you can do that with- this one and one in Orlando-Vistana. All other resale ones can only use at the location you buy the resales at.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I can’t justify spending 1800 bucks for 81K star options. At 8 months all star options are created equal. Why pay higher maint fees? WKV gold season is just bad. SVV 2 bedroom lockout platinum at 95,700 star options is better.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Someone on TUG is giving away a 2BR Sheraton Vistana Villages worth 67,100. I got a free one like this a few years ago

KyleReilly

Reaction score
I can’t justify spending 1800 bucks for 81K star options. At 8 months all star options are created equal. Why pay higher maint fees? WKV gold season is just bad. SVV 2 bedroom lockout platinum at 95,700 star options is better.

Have you seen any deals on SVV 2 bedroom lockout? What do you think is a fair price for 95k star options? I'm checking sellmytimeshare website but haven't seen any with that many options that seem to be a good value. The one below with free options is already gone.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Have you seen any deals on SVV 2 bedroom lockout? What do you think is a fair price for 95k star options? I'm checking sellmytimeshare website but haven't seen any with that many options that seem to be a good value. The one below with free options is already gone.
offer SMTN 250 bucks for one of those units. Use their ridiculous closing costs as a bargaining tool.

KyleReilly

Reaction score
offer SMTN 250 bucks for one of those units. Use their ridiculous closing costs as a bargaining tool.

Yes I did notice that other sites have closing costs around $975, whereas theirs was almost double.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
I have seen a 3 bed at VistanaVillages Key West phase worth 139,700 Star Options asking $2,495. The maintenance fees are. $2,208 per year

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
The same seller also has a 2 bed key west 67,100 Star options for $50. Maintenance fees are $1,344. The 3 bed is better value from a mf perspective

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes I did notice that other sites have closing costs around $975, whereas theirs was almost double.
I just checked my resort network and saw some non lockouts

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The same seller also has a 2 bed key west 67,100 Star options for $50. Maintenance fees are $1,344. The 3 bed is better value from a mf perspective
The 2 bedroom 67,100 isn’t ideal IMO

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I found a resale that sounds good but want to run it by all of you with lots more experience than I:

Westin Kierland 1 bedroom premium
Every other year (odd)
Platinum season
81,000 options
$4,500 + closing costs/fees of approx. $600
MF's of approx. $500/year

This seems like a sweet deal to me, but I would love some feedback. You guys are very helpful! Thanks!

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
So I found a resale that sounds good but want to run it by all of you with lots more experience than I:

Westin Kierland 1 bedroom premium
Every other year (odd)
Platinum season
81,000 options
$4,500 + closing costs/fees of approx. $600
MF's of approx. $500/year

This seems like a sweet deal to me, but I would love some feedback. You guys are very helpful! Thanks!
looks good, but I bet you can negotiate a bit lower.