• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice on AAdvantage mile reimbursement

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
In February, we flew American to HI, using miles for 1st class seats at the business class "price". The morning of our return trip (HNL/DFW/IAD), we got an automated call telling us we had been moved to a different flight going into DFW, and asking us to "accept" the new itinerary. The new flight got in after our original connection to IAD, and no mention was made of a replacement flight, so we didn't know how to respond. Before we could figure anything out, the call was terminated.

After many attempts, we finally got through to an AAdvantage service rep. He explained our original HNL/DFW flight had to be cancelled because of a maintenance issue, and we had to be rescheduled. He looked and looked, but there were NO 1st class seats available out of HNL until 3 days later. We considered staying the few days extra, but, since it was Presidents' Day weekend, there were NO rooms to be found anywhere.

Sooo, we felt we had no choice but to accept the replacement flights, and the economy class seats we were given. We were told our miles for the original flights would be returned to us, but that could't be done until after we got home. Then we should contact AA and explain what happened to get our miles back.

As it turns out, the HNL/DFW flight was truly awful; in addition to the plane being completely full, it was freezing cold the entire trip, and there were no extra blankets (nothing happened when we complained to the crew). Needless to say, we were vary unhappy campers by the time we got home...not that that matters to AA.

Well, we have contacted AA 3 times, via their customer service email address, and so far, no action has been taken to return our miles to us. We were told we needed to be patient, and I think we have been. Especially since it is clear what happened and we are due a "refund"...their own records will reflect what we are claiming.

Anyone have any suggestions about what we should do next, whom we should contact?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Put it in writing.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
HMMM .... Labor Day weekend we had the same thing happen coming out of Las Vegas on a paid (not FF) flight. AA had overbooked and there were no hotel rooms to be found in Vegas - not only was it a holiday, there was some huge boxing match in town.

They compensated my husband automatically (the advantage of being lifetime gold). I wrote an email and asked for exactly what they had offered my husband without complaint. It took about 2 months but they eventually credited my AA account with 3K miles. No reimbursement for the flight itself.

I would ask for exactly what you want. Miles restored plus XXX for the misery. Sometimes I think that they have no imagination about what to do.

Hope you get a positive outcome soon.

elaine

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd go to AA's website and find the name of the Sr. VP of Marketing and either call him or send him a letter. I think he would take care of the problem.

Hobo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
American Contacts

It has been close to three months since your trip and after contacting customer relations three times they have not responded. It's time to elevate your complaint.

I would suggest sending a polite email to Craig Kreeger, senior v. p. of customer experience for American explaining what occurred and asking for your miles refund. Also mention that you have contacted customer relations three times and they have yet to respond and that is why you are contacting him. Craig can be emailed at Craig.Kreeger@aa.com. I would also copy Tom Horton, Americans CEO at Tom.Horton@aa.com.

Last edited:

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions, but, amazingly, we got an email this afternoon telling us our account had been adjusted and an appropriate number of miles had been returned to us! Guess I just wasn't patient enough...

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions, but, amazingly, we got an email this afternoon telling us our account had been adjusted and an appropriate number of miles had been returned to us! Guess I just wasn't patient enough...
Normally with a big company like AA or Marriott, I expect some things to take some time if anything else just because of the company's sheer size. I cannot think of any reason why a company like this would 'stiff' a customer; unlike, some smaller company's who would have more 'incentives' to do so.

Glad things worked out for you, given the circumstances.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did they credit all of your miles or only the incremental miles?

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were told we got the difference between what we paid (business class) and the economy class seats we actually occupied. I was not able to come to the same amount they calculated, but it was close enough that we are not going to complain. I'm guessing the discrepancy may be due to a change in the "price" of the seats from when we made our reservations and when we actually flew, which was about 330 days.

In any case, we are now happier campers, though we are still not thrilled about the way this was handled. Since this refund was due because of their maintenance issue, it would have been nice if they handled it on their own, without the need for us to file for it. Still, we got an acceptable result.