• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

National Champion (BCS)

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what do people think, will the "fourth best quarterback" in college footabll have what it takes? Perhaps he will, but as Kordell Stewart once said, sometimes the best team doesn't win...hey, gotta give OK an out if needed :D

That said, isn't Utah the only undefeated team out there?????

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
And that they did. Congrats to them, I only wish they had been undefeated so it could end here.
I know, although the loss to MS State was early in the season.

Good game tonight!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know, although the loss to MS State was early in the season.

Good game tonight!

I believe that was Ole Miss, not Miss St.

Too bad Florida and Utah can't play a "plus one" game to settle this on the field. Some day there will be a playoff..............

Steve

Reaction score
Congratulations to the Gators! But...

I would LOVE to see a game between Utah and Florida. Obviously it's not going to happen, but it would be great. Florida is an awesome team.

Still, Utah deserves the national title as much as anyone this year. The Utes are the only undefeated team...and that means a lot.

Steve

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats to the Gators.....but.....

.........here is who they really need to play to see who is really #1 :D ;)

sc.jpg

GO TROJANS!!!:banana: :cheer:

Enrico

TUG Member
Reaction score
That "fourth best quarterback in the Big 12" comment made early in the week was beyond stupid. Anyone stupid enough to believe it has never seen Tebow play. OU's Bradford is a better passer, but Tebow the better QB overall....and my gosh he is tough as nails.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Utah deserves the national title as much as anyone this year. The Utes are the only undefeated team...and that means a lot.

Why not a 4 team playoff for charity including Florida, Oklahoma, Utah and Southern California. Imagine how much money could be raised!
George

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
USC- arent they the team that lost to a team that Penn State beat by 30 points?

Comparing scores? Not a good way to compare.

Since USC dominated the team that beat Oregon St. by 30...

Since USC pounded the team that barely lost to Texas...

Since OU KILLED Texas Tech, which beat Texas... does that make them better then Texas? Oh yeah, Texas beat OU.

Comparing scores proves little. This is the debate when you don't settle it on the field.:shrug:

JMHO

pfaff

TUG Member
Reaction score

What does that matter? USC dominated Penn State in the first half of the Rose Bowl game. USC stopped their passing game to stop the embarrassment and run out the clock second half. In a local interview Sanchez said he was disappointed that he wasn't allowed to throw the second half as much as he wanted to.

We'll never know who really is the best team until there is a playoff system. Right now the BCS is crap, the system is flawed. It has its favorites that's why Utah didn't go to the championship even though they were completely undefeated. Similarly, no one pays attention to the Pac 10. But if you look of the 5 bowl games that have been played by Pac 10 teams this year we have come out victorious.

Yes, I'm a Trojan if you haven't figured. So until there is a playoff system we can only "Fight On!"

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you mean the mighty Beavers of Oregon State! :eek: :( :D

I agree with all the other SC supporters here, there really needs to be a playoff system, since the BCS is such a flawed way of figuring supposed championships. :)

Last edited:

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
bcs

Do you mean the mighty Beavers of Oregon State! :eek: :( :D

I agree with all the other SC supporters here, there really needs to be a playoff system, since the BCS is such a flawed way of figuring supposed championships. :)

I also agree. However, the college presidents vehemently disagree with a D1 college football playoff, so we will just have to live with what we have. I agree that USC is probably the best team- BUT THEY NEED TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS AGAINST INFERIOR OPPONENTS. It is unfortunate that most of the media recognition slants the discussion toward teams east of the Rockies.But this is a fact of life. Until the bulk of the population moves west( which will never happen because you guys don't have enough fresh water to support the population you have) then this media bias will continue. Of course, the 3 hour time difference, with many games out West ending after 110pm EDT, doesn't help either. JMHO

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

No, they are the team that has the following track record over the past 7 years:

7 consecutive PAC-10 Titles
7 consecutive 11+ win seasons
7 consecutive TOP 5 finishes nationally
3 consecutive Rose Bowl Championships
2 National Championships
3 Heisman Trophy winners

13-2 record against AP Top 10 teams
9 losses in 7 years by a TOTAL margin of 36 points, none by more than 7 pts
13-1 record against rivals Notre Dame and UCLA

Florida is the BCS Champion. But, they are NOT the undisputed National Champion. USC, Utah and Texas all can dispute it. There should still be 3 more games left to settle it on the field.

The Big 12 is a fraud of a conference. They load up and patsie Division 1-aa out of conference teams, get a high ranking and when they lose to another over rated Big 12 team, they take over their poll position.

There is no bigger fraud in all of college football than the Chokelahoma Sooners. They are now 0-5 in their last BCS games. That so called best offense in history only scored 14 points on Florida. Very pedestrian.

Both Oklahoma University and the Ohio State University should NEVER again be allowed to be ranking higher than any other team at the end of the season with the same number of losses.

As far as USC's loss to Oregon State, it was early in the season to a team that ended in the top 20 nationally. And, USC's loss was on the road. Florida lost to a top 20 team in the same week AT HOME. Big difference.

According to the rules as defined by the current system, Florida is the BCS National Champion. But, it is far from undisputed.

It would be really nice to see Florida, USC, Utah and Texas play 3 more games in a playoff to see who the undisputed number 1 team in the country. Until that happens, I say it's USC.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of the few people against an eight team playoff -- at least if the stated purpose is to discover who had the best college team in a given year.

1. Just suppose that Utah (for example) really did have the best team this year. In fact, they were so good that they would beat any other contender four out of five times they played. (Given that they were playing the likes of USC, Florida, Oklahoma, etc. that would be a truly dominent team.) What would their chances of winning an eight team playoff (and remember they would be the best team)? About fifty-fifty. (The probability that they would win any particular game would be 4/5. The probability that they would win three such games in a row would be 4/5 X 4/5 X 4/5.) Giving a dominent team a fifty percent chance of winning a national championship is not a very good way to determine a national champion.
  2. For those who think that this is just abstract mathematical nonesense, consider what happen in the pro ranks (where they do have playoffs) in just one calandar year. The Pittsburgh Steelers, who were barely good enough to make the playoffs - they snuck in the last week of the season with help, won the Superbowl. The Miami Heat, who were nowhere near as good as the Detroit Pistons during the regular season, not to mention about six Western Conference teams, won the NBA championship. Finally, the St. Louis Cardinals, who were having a mediocre season, won the World Series. Not one of these teams was even close to being the best team during the regular season, but they all won playoffs.
  3. Again for those who think this is mathematical nonesense, why is it (as noted above) using comparitive scores during the regular season means nothing, but once a playoff starts, every game score would be a TRUE reflection of how good one team is against another.
The bottom line is that is your real intent is to determine which team is the best during a season, don't count on playoffs to tell you. I suspect that even the much flawed BCS system has a better chance of spotting a truly dominant team (one that would beat all other TOP teams four out of five times) than a playoff system.

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not a 4 team playoff for charity including Florida, Oklahoma, Utah and Southern California. Imagine how much money could be raised!
George

Because Chokelahoma should be banned from ever participating in a National Championship ever again. Same is true of Ohio State.

Now, if you said Florida, Utah, USC and Texas, I would agree.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of the few people against an eight team playoff -- at least if the stated purpose is to discover who had the best college team in a given year.

1. Just suppose that Utah (for example) really did have the best team this year. In fact, they were so good that they would beat any other contender four out of five times they played. (Given that they were playing the likes of USC, Florida, Oklahoma, etc. that would be a truly dominent team.) What would their chances of winning an eight team playoff (and remember they would be the best team)? About fifty-fifty. (The probability that they would win any particular game would be 4/5. The probability that they would win three such games in a row would be 4/5 X 4/5 X 4/5.) Giving a dominent team a fifty percent chance of winning a national championship is not a very good way to determine a national champion.
  2. For those who think that this is just abstract mathematical nonesense, consider what happen in the pro ranks (where they do have playoffs) in just one calandar year. The Pittsburgh Steelers, who were barely good enough to make the playoffs - they snuck in the last week of the season with help, won the Superbowl. The Miami Heat, who were nowhere near as good as the Detroit Pistons during the regular season, not to mention about six Western Conference teams, won the NBA championship. Finally, the St. Louis Cardinals, who were having a mediocre season, won the World Series. Not one of these teams was even close to being the best team during the regular season, but they all won playoffs.
  3. Again for those who think this is mathematical nonesense, why is it (as noted above) using comparitive scores during the regular season means nothing, but once a playoff starts, every game score would be a TRUE reflection of how good one team is against another.
The bottom line is that is your real intent is to determine which team is the best during a season, don't count on playoffs to tell you. I suspect that even the much flawed BCS system has a better chance of spotting a truly dominant team (one that would beat all other TOP teams four out of five times) than a playoff system.

This is a ludicrous statement. What other sport determines their national champion the way the NCAA Football D-1a does? NONE. Nobody else uses a beauty contest to determine who is the best team. They ALL use a playoff system to determine the national champion which is by definition the best team at the END of the season. Even Division 1-aa, 2 and 3 have playoffs.

If we want to keep the beauty team format, then the halftime show should be all the players showing themselves off in their bikinis with a panel of judges rating them and that tally should be added to the score at the end of the game.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that was Ole Miss, not Miss St.

Too bad Florida and Utah can't play a "plus one" game to settle this on the field. Some day there will be a playoff..............

Plus one would have Florida vs. USC. USC finished number 2 in the coaches poll which would be the final poll deciding a plus one game.

That's why we need an 8 team playoff. Utah was good, but I don't think they would be favored in a head to head match up with USC. In fact, NONE of the top 5 would have a Las Vegas betting line that would favor them over USC. That is why I believe USC is the best team in the country. People who are willing to put money on the game would choose USC.

Steve

Reaction score
Slight change to your plan...

If we want to keep the beauty team format, then the halftime show should be all the players showing themselves off in their bikinis with a panel of judges rating them and that tally should be added to the score at the end of the game.

I propose that instead of the judges rating the players that the fans get to rate the cheerleaders.

Steve

Steve

Reaction score
Plus one would have Florida vs. USC. USC finished number 2 in the coaches poll which would be the final poll deciding a plus one game.

That's why we need an 8 team playoff. Utah was good, but I don't think they would be favored in a head to head match up with USC. In fact, NONE of the top 5 would have a Las Vegas betting line that would favor them over USC. That is why I believe USC is the best team in the country. People who are willing to put money on the game would choose USC.

Your logic just went out the window here. You believe that USC is the best team in the country based on what you think a Vegas betting line would favor??? Vegas didn't give Utah much of a chance versus Alabama, and we all know how that turned out. :)

Steve

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what the format is (BCS, playoffs), somebody will still complain if his/her team doesn't make it to the championship game or if it gets excluded from the playoffs. I bet that on a hypothetical 8-team playoff, whoever ends in 9th or 10th place will find an argument to support why they should have been ranked 8th instead.

No system is perfect, but the bottom line is the Gators won this year.

Go Gators!

Attachments

• gator_logo_large.gif
    gator_logo_large.gif
    52.5 KB · Views: 6

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score

I wasn't referring to the BCS's version of a "plus one". I don't endorse anything the BCS proposes.

I agree with Pedro -- like it or not, UF is the #1 team in the country as currently defined. Congratulations Gators!