• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Myrtle Beach

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi -

We are thinking of going to Sheraton TX in Myrtle Beach this summer. Can anyone tell me what it's like? Is it a good vacation choice for a family? We have one 6 1/2 year old son. We've been to Maui, St John, Cancun, Atlantis.....

What type of things are there to do in Myrtle Beach? Are there any trips to other cities we could do? Is the beach nice???

Any comments would be appreciated!

Sheri

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Don't for get to check the TUG reviews for Sheraton Broadway Plantation, if you are considering a SW trade.

BluEyezNSC

TUG Member
Reaction score
While Sheraton Broadway Plantation in Myrtle Beach does not compare to the other places you mentioned, it is a nice family vacation spot. Most (if not all by the time you travel) of the rooms have been renovated and are nicely done. The property itself is about a mile from the beach, but it has a very nice pool area (with a Pirate-pool for your son). It is basically next-door to the Broadway at the Beach complex which has lots of options for shopping and dining and some family entertainment. Plus there is no shortage of other things to do while in Myrtle Beach.

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out tripadvisor.com? They have reviews of most activities to do in the Myrtle Beach area. It's hard to give advice when I don't know your likes, dislikes and interests. IMO, Myrtle Beach seems to be a regional family destination. We are going to SBP this summer from Florida, because we are doubling a family visit in NC and SC with the vacation. Plus we want to do a less expensive vacation this year to save our money for a big multi-week trip to Europe next summer.

Myrtle beach has a lot of chain and family oriented restaurants, some dinner theater shows, carnival style amusement rides, etc. Your son might like MagiQuest if he is into fantasy or knight themed stuff. (MagiQuest is an interactive game where the kids go around and do different hunts and games with a magic wand that you buy.) The few times I have been to Myrtle Beach were off-season, but I do remember the ocean water being a lot colder than Florida.

You could spend a couple nights in Charleston at the beginning or end of the trip. It may be a bit too far to go for a day trip with your son. I think it's a 2 or 2 1/2 hour drive each way, from what I remember. Charleston is definitely worth a visit.

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! We live in Southern California....just trying to figure out something different to do this summer. I'd love to stay in Charleston for a few nights....I've heard it's fabulous!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great resort for children and adults. You are near everything in MB.

The Beach, Golf courses, The Pavilion, Broadway @ The Beach, Water Sports, Carolina Opry, even a minor league basball team is located @ MB and you are only 98 milirs from Charleston, SC.

Please read the TUG's reviews on this resort and enjoy your stay..

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great resort for children and adults. You are near everything in MB.

True, everything I've seen about the resort has been great. I just don't know if I'd recommend flying across country. I don't know if you would have any added benefit from going to Myrtle Beach over staying somewhere in So Cal. I don't see Myrtle Beach as having it's own unique culture like Hawaii, Atlantis, etc. Some might disagree with me. That's why I like to see the activities available for a location, not just the quality of the resort.

Charleston definitely has it's own unique culture, charm and history that is completely different from So Cal, so can def. recommend stopping by that city. I really like traveling and learning about new places and people, not just hang out on vacation and relax. Myrtle Beach to me is more of a place to hang out at the beach or pool during the day and go to a show or Broadway on the Beach in the evening. Fun in it's own right, I just don't know that I'd pay money to fly across country to do it. I think it depends on what you like in a vacation. Just my opinion.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally we loved the San Diego area. It is laid back.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Sometimes it's good to just go somewhere different. After all, isn't that one of the reasons we all bought timeshares?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The recent Kenny Powers series on HBO is set in Myrtle Beach - and from having visited there a couple of times when I lived in the Cape Fear area in NC (a while ago) - it is worth a chuckle...
Charleston and Savannah are nice - esp by the water - plus Kiawah (sp?) and Hilton Head Islands. The town close to the SC border (on the Atlantic) -Wilmington - and nearby offshore islands (Southport) are worth a visit.

If you are from the west coast and haven't been in the South - be prepared for a culture shock.

Last edited:

TravelMamma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi -

We are thinking of going to Sheraton TX in Myrtle Beach this summer. Can anyone tell me what it's like? Is it a good vacation choice for a family? We have one 6 1/2 year old son. We've been to Maui, St John, Cancun, Atlantis.....

What type of things are there to do in Myrtle Beach? Are there any trips to other cities we could do? Is the beach nice???

Any comments would be appreciated!

Sheri

Mrtyle Beach is a great place to go, especially for families. You have the great beach, shopping, dining, there are a ton of different shows to see (dixie stampede, medieval knights, comedy shows were the ones avail. last time we were there). They also have a really nice aquarium and much more. We would spend our days at the pool or beach and then in the afternoon/evening hit some of the other stuff. There is plenty to do. The Sheraton Broadway is really nice, there have been some renovations and should be done by this June (if I remember correctly), there is a lazy river and a great water/play area for younger kids, like your son. We honeymooned in Myrtle Beach and then once we had children, took them there when they were close to your sons age. Great place for both type of trips. Have fun!

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
True, everything I've seen about the resort has been great. I don't see Myrtle Beach as having it's own unique culture like Hawaii, Atlantis, etc.

Charleston definitely has it's own unique culture, charm and history that is completely different from So Cal, so can def. recommend stopping by that city.

After hearing your list of places you have already visited (we are from San Diego - now living in SC) I would not consider MB in the same category as your other vacation destinations/resorts. I agree with the above post except I'd say Charleston in the middle of the summer will NOT be as charming as you may think.....think southern muggy HOT not SD ocean breeze warm in July.

Having moved from SD we can say we love the beaches here (but we're not crazy about most of them in MB - although if you can trade into the Ocean Watch Marriott I'd put that alot closer to what you are accustomed to) - again...the Starwood is an off ocean destination and you can check Tripadvisor for the very nicest ocean front resorts in MB.

Although you wouldn't be able to use your Starwood for a direct exchange there are some great ocean front resorts in SC - think Hilton Head Marriotts, & private resorts in Wild Dunes, Kiawah, Seabrook. We've checked out most and have our favorites. You can pm me if you'd like more opinion. Heck, if you want East coast different but Starwood quality you might also think of Florida.....Hammock resort Palm Coast, Captiva & Sanibel Islands, Amelia Island Plantation, Singer Island, Boca Grand.....my list goes on :) and on....

Have a great trip. But it's good you're researching so that you know what to expect.

Judy

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Myrtle Beach might be good if you simply like the beach and pools. Granted, the water will be of the East Coast variety, and definitely different from Caribbean, Hawaii, Bahamas, and Cancun, but kids still like it. Maybe even better.

Altho we live in the east, I've been to all the places you've described, and to the gorgeous Newport Coast Villas too.......and it will be sooooooo different for you here on the eastern shores, but you'll never know whether you like it until you try it.

One thing for sure, I do indeed doubt you'll like driving to a public parking lot for all beach activity, tho. When at Sheraton Beach Plantation, that's what you'll have to do. And the parking lots, if you can even find one, are first-come, first-served. Except for North Myrtle Beach, the rest is not an upscale, "classy" place, imho, but it's fine for what it is.....beach and pools.

There are very nice places there, tho, like Marriott's Oceanwatch, which is definitely first-class. That you would like. We own both there at Oceanwatch and at SBP (SBP just for extra, less expensive MB time). We mostly stay in Hilton Head, tho, where the majority of our Marriott weeks are located. You might consider there.

The beach at MB will be broad and flat......perhaps wider than any you've seen, and easy to walk, bike, and play games.....kids love that and will never forget it. Also, no shells or rocks, so it's truly great fun to boogie-board or ride the floats, as we called it. We had the rectangular inflatable canvas-covered floats a few years ago when our kids were that age, and those floats are still my favorite.

Charleston is fantastic for adults, but young kids will be bored to tears....there's absolutely nothing there for kids......a great city for wining and dining, sightseeing, and historic things, but that's it. And Charleston in the summer is close to unbearable. Don't dismiss that fact---it's awful. You have no idea what humidity is until you visit Charleston in summer-----it has little breeze, if any, and you'll not be happy. Possibly same for MB, but at least there's water to jump into.

You want a real suggestion? Go to Orlando. Your child will love you forever, and will NEVER stop talking about it, and frankly, you'll have the time of your life too. Beyond plenty for kids and adults to do.....and the quality of things is unsurpassed anywhere in the world, period. The fun there may perhaps supersede the heat, so that's the only reason I bring it up.

If you've been to Anaheim/Disneyland, please know that it doesn't even rate on the same scale. Walt Disney World is an eleven, Disneyland is a flat 3. It's all you have out west, granted, but imho it's not clean, it's extremely small, and it's not in the same class. Just sayin' for comparison's sake.

On the other hand, WDW has Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island, MGM-Disney Studios, Universal Studios (two separate parks), Sea World, and more. They are altogether thousands of acres in size, and are all clean as can be. There is no comparison. And the age of your child at 6.5 is perfect. He will not want to leave.

Only problem is that you''ll then be flying BACK every 3-5 years or so. The resorts in Orlando are over-the-top wonderful. Huge and fantastic pools galore. Maybe the "happiest place on Earth" if you ask a kid. If it were me, and you've never been to Orlando, forget Myrtle Beach and Charleston, and change to WDW.

Now if you're going in summer, remember that Orlando is also awful......tolerable yes, but really, really hot and really, really humid. If you've experienced temps and humidity like that elsewhere, like Cancun in summer, only you know if you can deal with it, but personally I would hesitate to go back to Orlando in summer unless it were my only recourse. School being out would be the only reason to do it.

If so, then fine.......but expect long lines, strange languages, sweating like you cannot believe, and just begging for an air-conditioned building. On the bright side, you still have Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon, where there is water to jump into. It's doable, just be prepared.

MB and Orlando will have virtually the same temps....Good luck. Gotta take that 6.5 year-old to WDW!!!!!! Can't think of a better reason to fly cross-country. You should have seen our son when he was 3.5 there, and then when he was 6 (daughter then 3).....they loved it at 3.....and have been back every few years.

We're going back soon without kids for Food and Wine Festival at Epcot in Fall, and daughter is going next week for her Spring Break.....will graduate from college in May, and cannot wait to get back to WDW...also went last year....a bunch of friends in Orlando and WDW for a week, two years in a row? -----can you imagine?

Last edited:

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the very detailed response! Disney World sounds great, but way too hot for the summer. I can't imagine standing in lines, etc in that kind of heat/humidity. Disneyland gets hot in the summer, but it's a dry heat....more tolerable. I went to Disney World back in the early 80's....thought it was amazing, but I do remember thinking that the rides were way better at Disneyland (if you are comparing only the Magic Kingdom portion of Disney World to Disneyland....Haunted Mansion vs Haunted Mansion, Pirates vs Pirates, Space Mountain vs Space Mountain, etc).

As for Myrtle Beach.....hmmmmm....not sold on it. I'm not crazy about the fact that it's not right on the beach....I think it will be a disappointment.....the pictures don't do it any justice.

Again thanks for all the info!!! Disney World sounds like it would be a BLAST!!!