• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Myrtle Beach vs. Hilton Head

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
Oh good, I'm glad I jumped in then! Wasn't certain but I thought maybe "use" meant "Sue." Seems smart phones and gadgets are teaching us a new way to read. :D

LOVE Hilton Head and so far we've been to HHI during all seasons except high summer - that will change next month and I'm hoping that the high heat/humidity won't be too oppressive. When we eventually retire there the plan is to have something up here to which we can return for summers. We'll see. :)

I used to think about retiring there (. We live in the N Ga mtns ) but I think then it would be too ordinary after awhile and not as fun and exciting as my 3 to 4 weeks a year. I have been there midsummer and my advice is go to wal mart and get one of those big tent deals to put two comfortable chairs under it. Do you have an area picked out you want to look at?
Not far from surf watch there are a few lots that my husband keeps going back to. There are some narrow ocean Los and one on ghost crab lane I think. On ghost crab lane there are two lots, one a tear down and one empty.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I used to think about retiring there (. We live in the N Ga mtns ) but I think then it would be too ordinary after awhile and not as fun and exciting as my 3 to 4 weeks a year. I have been there midsummer and my advice is go to wal mart and get one of those big tent deals to put two comfortable chairs under it. Do you have an area picked out you want to look at?
Not far from surf watch there are a few lots that my husband keeps going back to. There are some narrow ocean Los and one on ghost crab lane I think. On ghost crab lane there are two lots, one a tear down and one empty.

We use those tents during all our trips - the sun is just too hot and damaging when it's warm enough to sit out! I really hope Hilton Head doesn't do what Myrtle Beach recently did and prohibit their use.

Several years ago we picked up a lot in one of the golf communities on 278 heading towards the island and if that's where we end up we'll be happy, I'm sure, but still during almost every trip we meet with an agent to check out what's available on the island. (That's our version of a sales presentation. ;) ) Oceanfront would be Don's number one wish, no question, but I worry about maintenance and trying to keep it clean, and like you we both would hate for it to become somehow too "ordinary." Whatever we end up doing we'll hopefully always have Day Use rights at both Barony and SurfWatch, which adds to the entire picture. :)

(Sorry Greg, for taking your thread so far off-track.)

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Come on down! You can have fun even in hot weather. I was in the pool at 6:30 am for an hour of water aerobics, swam six laps, did interval training for 30 minutes and then lost my mind and did an introduction to spinning class this afternoon. I'll be 69 on Thursday and hope to squeeze in some time at GO that afternoon. We get so busy in Sun City that we don't go to the beach as much as we had thought.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Come on down! You can have fun even in hot weather. I was in the pool at 6:30 am for an hour of water aerobics, swam six laps, did interval training for 30 minutes and then lost my mind and did an introduction to spinning class this afternoon. I'll be 69 on Thursday and hope to squeeze in some time at GO that afternoon. We get so busy in Sun City that we don't go to the beach as much as we had thought.

Happy Birthday!!! A double wow, how time flies when you having fun.

TRAVELING FOOL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love,love,love Hilton Head! Just came back from staying at Barony. Since we didn't have the kids/ grandkids with us, we ate out a lot and tried many of the recommended restaurants. Black Marlin was fantastic! Great food,fun atmosphere at Skullcreek Boathouse. Shout out to Phil the bartender! Met some fellow Ohioans who recently retired and bought a house there. And of course, our annual visit to the Jazz Corner with outstanding entertainment and wonderful food! Just love the feel of the Island and the people. We also stopped off ,using our MRP pts of course, at the Marriott Grand Dunes in Myrtle while enroute back to Va. The Concierge recommended a nice restaurant, Travinnia, at Market Center Commons. It was great! The food and atmosphere was wonderful! They had a live band playing light jazz. It was a place you could go as a couple or bring your family to. I highly recommend the Market Center Commons area. Upscale shopping and restaurants. Away from all the touristy traps.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
GregT what is your final decision ? Hilton Head or Myrtle beach ?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
GregT what is your final decision ? Hilton Head or Myrtle beach ?

Pedro,

We currently plan on Hilton Head because that's where Jonell and I have been wanting to visit for a long time, and we think there are a number of activities that the kids will enjoy.

We're going to book a back-up reservation at Sheraton Broadway Plantation (using StarOptions) in case we change our minds. It's only a $29 reservation fee, and keeps the Myrtle Beach option alive while we do more research.

But I appreciate all the feedback of our TUGgers, it has been very very helpful!

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Sorry, another Hilton Head question -- is Grande Ocean still the obvious choice considering April timing (and the likelihood that this is not going to be a beach/ocean vacation?).

Also, does anyone have a map of Hilton Head and where the different Marriott properties are located on the island? I can't find through a search?

Thank you.

Greg

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
All,

Sorry, another Hilton Head question -- is Grande Ocean still the obvious choice considering April timing (and the likelihood that this is not going to be a beach/ocean vacation?).

Also, does anyone have a map of Hilton Head and where the different Marriott properties are located on the island? I can't find through a search?

Thank you.

Greg

Greg,

Check out the TUG Timeshare Map.

ETA: Not sure if everything is 100% accurate as it shows Barony and Surfwatch side by side with Barony behind Surfwatch away from the ocean. Though it should give you a pretty good idea of where the resorts are.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg,

Check out the TUG Timeshare Map.

ETA: Not sure if everything is 100% accurate as it shows Barony and Surfwatch side by side with Barony behind Surfwatch away from the ocean. Though it should give you a pretty good idea of where the resorts are.

Dioxide, that's a cool map -- thank you very much for the link!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pedro,

We currently plan on Hilton Head because that's where Jonell and I have been wanting to visit for a long time, and we think there are a number of activities that the kids will enjoy.

We're going to book a back-up reservation at Sheraton Broadway Plantation (using StarOptions) in case we change our minds. It's only a $29 reservation fee, and keeps the Myrtle Beach option alive while we do more research.

But I appreciate all the feedback of our TUGgers, it has been very very helpful!

Best,

Greg

My grand kids were 12 & 15 when they first visited Sheraton Broadway Plantation and it was a grand slam home run for them. Here are some of the things that they enjoyed at the resort basketball, tennis, 18 holes putt putt course, volleyball, indoor & outdoor pools, lazy river pool, etc. Plus, they enjoyed having other children to play with in their age group.

Off site from the resort and within a 15 miles radius from the resort.the beach, many, many golf courses & putt putt courses, shopping centers, outlet malls, an automotive racing motor course, a water park, QVC outlet , a minor league baseball park, a state park for riding your bikes, and many, many places to eat. etc.

Enjoy your week in MB.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score