• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Myrtle Beach vs. Hilton Head

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

We are going to Boston for a few days for the front end of a 10 day trip. We have five days available and are considering either Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head. I've been able to secure space as a placeholder at Grande Ocean for 5 days beginning April 6, but thought I would ask the group their opinions of the two locations.

We've always wanted to visit both, with Hilton Head being the greater "draw". If we went to Myrtle Beach, we would likely stay at Sheraton Broadway Plantation since we have extra StarOptions next year, but open for anything if TUGgers think there is a material difference between SBP and OceanWatch.

Age of children is 14/12/10 and we will be coming off of a 4-day Boston trip heavy on museums and history, so Hilton Head/Myrtle Beach is intended for general entertainment.

Please advise with any observations and thank you!

Best,

Greg

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion please take the exchange to Marriott's Grande Ocean, I feel you will enjoy your stay. Also, the Sheraton Broadway Resort is an outstanding resorts for children in Myrtle Beach and you are located near a major shopping center, a small water park, banks, grocery stores and numerous golf courses on the Strand. In my humble opinion both the Marriott's Grande Ocean and the Sheraton Broadway Resort are resorts that the whole family can enjoy.

Please read the reviews on both resorts under the TUGS website called "TUG RESORT DATABASE."

Both resorts amenities on site are out standing.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Myrtle Beach has a more touristy feel to it. there are lots of attractions, shows, shopping. Hilton head is more laid back and nature oriented with lots of water sports, bike trails etc. The fact that you have a Grande Ocean reservation would sway me towards HHI over the Sheraton resort in Myrtle Beach, which is not on the beach. I feel it would also be a nice contrast to the hustle and bustle of Boston.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I love Hilton Head, there's something about it that hit my heart from the very first time we drove over the bridges, but I think in this case you might be better off trying to get Myrtle Beach. At the beginning of April the beaches in SC aren't really a draw and MB has many more kid-centric activities. After a week in Boston they'll probably be more than ready for things like bumper cars and arcades and cotton candy and the boardwalk etc ... that's Myrtle Beach. If you can't switch to MB I'm sure they'll still be able to have fun in Hilton Head, but it's worth trying.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Couple things we like about HHI and why it's still our favorite destination..

1. The island gives you a great sense of being away from it all

2. Lots of options and nothing is far when you do go out since it's an extremely dense development

3. With so many Marriott's on the island there are a lot of well organized activities. For Marriott kids organized activities - Our experience has been HHI resorts offer the most - almost too much where you have to watch their spend :)

Pools are ok in April at HHI, but the ocean is too chilly for me during this period.

All,

We are going to Boston for a few days for the front end of a 10 day trip. We have five days available and are considering either Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head. I've been able to secure space as a placeholder at Grande Ocean for 5 days beginning April 6, but thought I would ask the group their opinions of the two locations.

We've always wanted to visit both, with Hilton Head being the greater "draw". If we went to Myrtle Beach, we would likely stay at Sheraton Broadway Plantation since we have extra StarOptions next year, but open for anything if TUGgers think there is a material difference between SBP and OceanWatch.

Age of children is 14/12/10 and we will be coming off of a 4-day Boston trip heavy on museums and history, so Hilton Head/Myrtle Beach is intended for general entertainment.

Please advise with any observations and thank you!

Best,

Greg

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that you have kids and their ages, I would definitely choose Myrtle Beach.

Deej82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg, Both options are great family destinations. My family has been going to HHI since the mid-80's so we consider that a second home at this point. We also own at MOW which I see somewhat as an oasis from the busy hype at MB. For folks with reference, I would equate Myrtle Beach to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge at the ocean. Lots of commercial/amusement/neon signs/beach & swimwear places. I would say our family loves the quiet/dark/natural beauty of HHI and MGO is in one of the best locations on the island. Direct access to bike trails is a big plus there and you can rent onsite. We love MOW though as a resort, in part because it's removed from the main "downtown" MB area. But it has great facilities and awesome views. No info on SBP at all, though.

In April the ocean will indeed be cool/cold at both locations, so pool facilities (possibly indoor) would be a definite consideration.

Either way enjoy! (but OK my vote is for MGO :)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
All,

Greg

Given your history and love affair with MOC and Hawaii in general, please know up front that the East Coast beaches are vastly different. (West coast beaches are the same.) Water is not clear, beach sand is not white (or black), but grayish to off-white. Beaches are wide and flat with zero entry, and there are only small waves, 3-4' max on a good day. When I was younger, I swear they seemed 5-6'.

That aside, both HH and MB are really fun. Despite the "different" beach and water, they're very user-friendly, and perfect for families, whether walking, biking, playing games, or building sand castles, etc.

Off the beach, the MB and HH experiences are a lot different from each other, as described ad infinitum on TUG. MB is non-stop action.....very, very touristy. Like "Coney Island South". Lots of neon signs and cheap seafood buffet places. Probably 1000 restaurants. There are good restaurants around, but few and far between. Still, there are lots of activities for kids, which is the main draw....putt putt, golf courses, amusement parks and mini-parks, and T-shirt and trinket shops galore. Not sure exactly how to say this tactfully, but there's a different element or clientele that visits the general MB area. Let's just say the tattoo index is higher. Not everywhere, but ....

The nicer resorts are in North Myrtle Beach, and Marriott OceanWatch is far and away the best, absolutely no comparison. Sheraton Broadway Plantation is slightly farther south, but nice also. Not in Marriott's class, but very nice....and perhaps the nicest one other than the Marriott. We own both OW and SBP. The units at SBP were completely gutted and renovated 2 years ago. Granite countertops, flatscreen HDTVs, attractive decor, all new appliances and furnishings, etc., and very nice pools. (Kid's pools and lazy river too, which are not at Marriott.)

Marriott's OceanWatch, on the other hand, is simply gorgeous. Villas are not the largest in the Marriott system, but they are beautiful. Very contemporary feel. The buildings are highrises & the pools are pristine. If the "anti-Hawaii" experience is OK, Myrtle Beach's Oceanwatch is a great place to go. For us east coasters, it's all we know, and we love it. Our kids adore it, and a family can fall in love with it easily.

Hilton Head has the same ocean, LOL, but the feel of the island is totally opposite from MB. It is laid back and a bit more sedate and quiet, zero neon signs (or any signs for that matter, or so you'll think), and not many activities other than dolphin-watching tours, environmental tours, kayaking, biking, and BEACH and POOLS.

There are a couple of putt-putts (mini-golf), and the Outlet Malls, and tons of great restaurants, over 200---- so for an old-fashioned family vacation, it's unique and wonderful. You'll have plenty of time to chill and spend time together. It can get very crowded, especially at the restaurants, so don't think the island is totally dead-----it only dies after 10pm. Kids often say it's boring, but I've never known kids to shun the beach and pools, at least not ours. At the end of the week, they're wanting to come back.

We've been to Hawaii, several destinations in the Caribbean, everywhere possible in Florida, the Bahamas, etc, and yet we have settled on Hilton Head as our beach destination of choice, for all the reasons listed above. We spend most of our time at Grande Ocean, but there are other nice resorts too. Not AS nice, imho, but nice. SurfWatch and Barony rank high on the list.

If you already have GO reservations, keep them. Maybe check out Myrtle Beach another time, but I'd say it's definitely worth it, too. The middle of the summer may not be the most comfortable time due to heat and humidity, but we Southerners don't mind it. For you, maybe May, early June, or September/October would be great, except with young kids, summer may be all you have because of school. You'll survive with pools, beach, and ice cream. Breezes do happen on the beach, and they are plenty welcome.

Enjoy whatever you try, and continued Happy Travels. And if you ever wish to adopt, I'm available. :D

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent description of both places...

Given your history and love affair with MOC and Hawaii in general, please know up front that the East Coast beaches are vastly different. (West coast beaches are the same.) Water is not clear, beach sand is not white (or black), but grayish to off-white. Beaches are wide and flat with zero entry, and there are only small waves, 3-4' max on a good day. When I was younger, I swear they seemed 5-6'.

That aside, both HH and MB are really fun. Despite the "different" beach and water, they're very user-friendly, and perfect for families, whether walking, biking, playing games, or building sand castles, etc.

Off the beach, the MB and HH experiences are a lot different from each other, as described ad infinitum on TUG. MB is non-stop action.....very, very touristy. Like "Coney Island South". Lots of neon signs and cheap seafood buffet places. Probably 1000 restaurants. There are good restaurants around, but few and far between. Still, there are lots of activities for kids, which is the main draw....putt putt, golf courses, amusement parks and mini-parks, and T-shirt and trinket shops galore. Not sure exactly how to say this tactfully, but there's a different element or clientele that visits the general MB area. Let's just say the tattoo index is higher. Not everywhere, but ....

The nicer resorts are in North Myrtle Beach, and Marriott OceanWatch is far and away the best, absolutely no comparison. Sheraton Broadway Plantation is slightly farther south, but nice also. Not in Marriott's class, but very nice....and perhaps the nicest one other than the Marriott. We own both OW and SBP. The units at SBP were completely gutted and renovated 2 years ago. Granite countertops, flatscreen HDTVs, attractive decor, all new appliances and furnishings, etc., and very nice pools. (Kid's pools and lazy river too, which are not at Marriott.)

Marriott's OceanWatch, on the other hand, is simply gorgeous. Villas are not the largest in the Marriott system, but they are beautiful. Very contemporary feel. The buildings are highrises & the pools are pristine. If the "anti-Hawaii" experience is OK, Myrtle Beach's Oceanwatch is a great place to go. For us east coasters, it's all we know, and we love it. Our kids adore it, and a family can fall in love with it easily.

Hilton Head has the same ocean, LOL, but the feel of the island is totally opposite from MB. It is laid back and a bit more sedate and quiet, zero neon signs (or any signs for that matter, or so you'll think), and not many activities other than dolphin-watching tours, environmental tours, kayaking, biking, and BEACH and POOLS.

There are a couple of putt-putts (mini-golf), and the Outlet Malls, and tons of great restaurants, over 200---- so for an old-fashioned family vacation, it's unique and wonderful. You'll have plenty of time to chill and spend time together. It can get very crowded, especially at the restaurants, so don't think the island is totally dead-----it only dies after 10pm. Kids often say it's boring, but I've never known kids to shun the beach and pools, at least not ours. At the end of the week, they're want to come back.

We've been to Hawaii, several destinations in the Caribbean, everywhere possible in Florida, the Bahamas, etc, and yet we have settled on Hilton Head as our beach destination of choice, for all the reasons listed above. We spend most of our time at Grande Ocean, but there are other nice resorts too. Not AS nice, imho, but nice.

If you already have GO reservations, keep them. Maybe check out Myrtle Beach another time, but I'd say it's definitely worth it, too. The middle of the summer may not be the most comfortable time due to heat and humidity, but we Southerners don't mind it. For you, maybe May, early June, or September/October would be great, except with young kids, summer may be all you have because of school. You'll survive with pools, beach, and ice cream. Breezes do happen on the beach, and they are plenty welcome.

Enjoy whatever you try, and continued Happy Travels. And if you ever wish to adopt, I'm available. :D

skyequeen

Reaction score
Don't Forget Nearby Cities

When our kids were teens, and now that they are Millenials, they still enjoy Myrtle Beach more - in summer. The beach where we go to Ocean Watch is great and there is so much to do. It will not be warm enough to go in the ocean in April or May there. Sheraton Broadway Plantation is near a big entertainment complex called Broadway at the Beach with restaurants and movies and shops. Nearby are lots of mini-golf, amusement venues and shopping. Plus there are lots of shows, as others have mentioned. I find Hilton Head a bit warmer off season. Plus Grand Ocean is a great resort with a nice indoor pool and tennis courts, bikes, etc. Hilton Head also actually looks tropical with moss in the trees. You ride bikes under a big canopy of trees dripping the stuff in Sea Pines Plantation, to which you will be given day passes from Grand Ocean for parking. You may see alligators sunning on lawns. You can get a boat there to Savannah, too. If your kids play tennis and golf, Hilton Head is great. You can ride your bikes on the sand, too. Also, Savannah makes a good day trip from there if you would enjoy walking around its old-timey South downtown. Make reservations for the family style southern lunch at Mrs. Wilkes boarding house. Charleston, 2-plus hours from Myrtle Beach and less distance from Hilton Head is one of the best cities to visit in the country. Though probably more for adults though the kids will like the pricy shops. It has historic houses and nearby plantations to visit. It is a long day though with the driving. It wore my kids out from Myrtle Beach.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
JME, "The tattoo index is higher". I love it and what a perfect description.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to add a comment about how you really can't go wrong with either GO or OW. I've been to OW and it is an amazing resort with the best pools in the Carolina's by a long shot. Not sure if all GO pools are heated now but unless things have changed only one of the outdoor pools is heated. All the pools at OW are heated and they are so beautiful.

Myrtle Beach has so many activities and attractions you will never be able to get all of the fun things done in only five days so you can keep yourself very busy if you want to.

I really like Hilton Head but there is NOTHING to do there at night except go out to dinner or leave the island and go to a couple outlet malls. There are some tourist type shops on Hilton Head and there are some fun areas with bands and neat shops but there isn't much to do at night in Hilton Head. I do LOVE being able to bike everywhere and that alone is enough of a draw for me but sometimes I think Hilton Head is a little too quiet for me.

What I really want to underscore is the fact that whatever resort you choose, prepare for cold weather and an ocean way too cold to swim in. You may luck out and get an 80 degree day but more likely, you are looking at mid 60's and sunny or high 50's and rain with a few low 70 degree days. The cooler weather may not bother you but it can be a major disappointment, if your are expecting summery weather. Just ask anyone who chose the Carolina's last Easter for their vacation and they can testify about the cooler weather.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Skip em both, go for Orlando or Singer Island instead :D

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree

Totally agree with JME.

We like both for all of the above reasons. We own summer at Oceanwatch but rarely go because we get FANTASTIC trades. We typically trade into OceanWatch or one of the HHI Marriotts each Spring Break with lockoffs (we request both HHI and MB and take whichever one pops up). This past April we were at Surf Watch for Spring Break, next year we will be at Ocean Watch. We've always had "good" weather in April and a few days with "excellent" weather. HHI is post-card perfect in early April with the azaleas in bloom under the moss draped trees.

Ocean is doable with kids coaxing me, but I'd rather not that time of the year. It may be breezy.

But April is certainly a time to wear shorts and t-shirt and walk with your feet in the water.

We've always requested Grande Ocean, but have never gotten it.

By the way, renovations are starting this fall at Ocean Watch.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Myrtle Beach has a more touristy feel to it. there are lots of attractions, shows, shopping. Hilton head is more laid back and nature oriented with lots of water sports, bike trails etc. The fact that you have a Grande Ocean reservation would sway me towards HHI over the Sheraton resort in Myrtle Beach, which is not on the beach. I feel it would also be a nice contrast to the hustle and bustle of Boston.
That would have sealed the deal for me right there - take the beach.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I've been to OW and it is an amazing resort with the best pools in the Carolina's by a long shot. Not sure if all GO pools are heated now but unless things have changed only one of the outdoor pools is heated. All the pools at OW are heated and they are so beautiful.

Oceanwatch
Oceanwatch's pools are indeed beautiful, some of the very best anywhere in the system, but I'd like to point out something significant about them. Take a look at this close-up aerial view of OW and the big pool.
Look at all the buildings which use that one particular pool, and also realize that the buildings are highrises with many floors/many villas. The resort property has a small footprint....no real fault, but it's all they had available for construction.

My point is, that's a TON of people utilizing that one pool, and to make it worse, many guests from the two back "Garden" buildings also come up and use it because it's closer to the beach, so it really exacerbates the crowd issue. In the summer, it's a zoo, and because of the pool design, there aren't a lot of chairs and rows of chairs that can be incorporated into the design.

Takes a few seconds to LOAD photo
http://goo.gl/maps/QeMhl

Back buildings' pools...Woodsy and Adult pool.....there are two pools now, photo doesn't show second "Adult" pool but DOES show outline of it in front of the building on the Left. Photo was taken 1.5 years ago before completion, so at least there are two pools back there now.....and both great. To say the best in the Carolinas is not a stretch at all, they may be. Definitely beautiful.
http://goo.gl/maps/GnkTi

Grande Ocean
Grande Ocean has four pools (1 is a small lap pool, top right in photo, foliage covering most of it), two are now heated (South and lap pool). The 3 other pools are really big (North, South, and Dolphin), and have lots of chairs around them. The guest/pool ratio is not as high as other resorts because of the number of pools and the relative number of villas that utilize them. The spread-out resort footprint is one of Marriott's largest, and it does feel open and spacious. The pools are also pristine. One thing I like, which highrises usually don't duplicate, is the heavy foliage surrounding them, which softens the feel of concrete (inherently necessary for a pool and adequate # of chairs).

http://goo.gl/maps/eZhCn

http://goo.gl/maps/4xXmr

http://goo.gl/maps/ZGa8N note: more chairs have been added around all pools than are shown in photos, double rows at least.

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Cold in April in HHI? No way. Temps will be in the 70's, maybe higher. Ocean may be too cold for most folks to get in but it depends on what you are used too. Pools will be fine. Grande Ocean is a great resort.

Are you flying or driving from Boston? MB is about 3 hrs closer.

That week in April is normally Spring Break for a lot of Northeast colleges. I don't know if Myrtle Beach is a big college student attraction but HHI isn't. The RBC Heritage starts on the 13th so you'll miss that crowd.

MB is definitely more kid oriented.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Greg,

Keep your reservations at GO. Your family will love it. We loved it and will return for our third trip in the next year or so, and we live close to you. Its got a real nice feel. Kind of like the comparison of Waikiki and Kaanapali Beach if you know what I mean.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Weather will be awesome at both places, but it might be windy and getting in the ocean could be cold. Given that, you should also consider how much the ocean means in terms of a center of activity. GO is on the beach, but also close to a lot of things by bike and on foot. OW isn't that way. You will need to drive to things. Most of the "action" is about ten or fifteen minutes away either north (Barefoot Landing) or south (Broadway and things on the main strip farther south).

If kids like outdoor stuff including water sports, kayaking, hiking, etc. they will like HHI. If they are more into gaming, arcades, putt putt, carnival attractions, then they will like Myrtle Beach.

If you go to HHI you have to do some of the touristy stuff like the Salty Dog and Harbortown. Lots more to do, but you will need to figure out what suits you and go from there.

If you go to Myrtle Beach you need to do Broadway at the Beach and if you don't mind a little driving, go eat dinner in Calabash for great fried seafood.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

This is great advice -- as always, TUGgers present a thoughtful and balanced perspective. Thanks again!

This won't be a beach trip because Hawaii comes a couple months later -- I like the hiking/kayaking/biking element, so Hilton Head is looking like a great spot. Both places do sound tempting though!

Thanks again,

Greg

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have done the 1st week of April in MB the last 3 yrs. (HS spring break and the baseball team goes down to the Ripken Experience for games.)

It is much quieter than summer in MB. None of the water parks is open yet and some of the go-karts, putt putts, etc. are not yet in full swing.

Weather is unpredictable. 2012 was warm with rain. 2013 was brutally cold. 2014 was perfect the whole week -- 75 - 80 w/ no precip.

We stayed at the Marriott next to the MVC and did our tour and got our timeshare in 2014. Nice place.

Starwood is right next to Broadway at the Beach and is more centrally located. If you like / need easy beach access, I'd go with MVC. If you are OK w/ public access and want to "turn your kids loose" at Broadway at the Beach, they can walk from the Starwood.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

This is great advice -- as always, TUGgers present a thoughtful and balanced perspective. Thanks again!

This won't be a beach trip because Hawaii comes a couple months later -- I like the hiking/kayaking/biking element, so Hilton Head is looking like a great spot. Both places do sound tempting though!

Thanks again,

Greg

This is my opinion only the best biking element traits hands down is Hilton Head Island and staying at the Grande Ocean you can bike over to Sea Pine Plantation for free. Bikes can be rented at this resort by the hour, day and week. The best deal is by the week.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
... You can get a boat there to Savannah, too. If your kids play tennis and golf, Hilton Head is great. You can ride your bikes on the sand, too. Also, Savannah makes a good day trip from there if you would enjoy walking around its old-timey South downtown. Make reservations for the family style southern lunch at Mrs. Wilkes boarding house. Charleston, 2-plus hours from Myrtle Beach and less distance from Hilton Head is one of the best cities to visit in the country. Though probably more for adults though the kids will like the pricy shops. It has historic houses and nearby plantations to visit. It is a long day though with the driving. It wore my kids out from Myrtle Beach.

In addition to Savannah and Charleston, I would add Beaufort, South Carolina to the cities to consider for day trips. These 3 cities would have a totally different ambience compared to the historic places of Boston.

If you're unfamiliar with Beaufort, check out this link: Movies Made in Beaufort, South Carolina

And the drive to Beaufort from Hilton Head Island is much shorter than the drive to Beaufort from Charleston.

Enjoy your trip, whatever your decision.

Richard