• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Myrtle Beach vs. Hilton Head again....but summer this time!

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I've been following mdurette's post about the offseason debate between these two locales. My last kiddo graduates from high school in 2024. I took her twin siblings to Surfside Beach in SC last summer. WE LOVED IT. (Myrtle Beach proper is most decidedly NOT my vibe...I don't drink, we don't do amusement parks, we don't eat out...just not my cup of tea.) We stayed at Deer Creek Condos in a huge 4BR condo, and loved having the space. We aren't huge beach people, but we still drove the 1 mile to the beach every day when free parking happened...7pm had us in the lot and ready to enjoy the sun and sand! If we go, we'll tack it on to our Missouri pilgrimage as we did last summer....therefore, we need to hit one certain check in day, which limits us a little. However, there are options on both Hilton Head and then again in Surfside Beach.

It would be Laney and me, and perhaps one or both college-age twins. Boredom is not a problem...we sometimes find the neatest places when we're forced to find something to do. :) Anyhow, would love to hear your thoughts. I know I love Surfside Beach, but don't want to miss out on Hilton Head if it's something we should experience once! ;)

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If you are not big on water parks, urban bars, and that kind of thing. HHI would be the winner hands down in my mind.

But both are great. What system are you trading in for the trip?

We went to Myrtle Beach (Ocean 2022) in 2019 and loved it.

Have been to HHI at least once a year from 2020-2022 and loved it even more (Ocean Oak, Port O’Call, Waterside, and Island Links).

We have Port O’Call booked for this summer. But I am probably ditching it since we now have a match for Key West the same week … and we have really been wanting to make a trip there. August is not ideal … but when you get an exchange on a school and work schedule …

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I personally prefer HHI over myrtle beach BUT it would also depend on which resorts because I can be persuaded. My first choice would be a resort on the water in HHI (doesn't have to be the ocean). My next choice would be ocean front in Myrtle Beach or Surfside Beach. If none were on the water, I would take Hilton Head.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Neither. Edisto Island :)

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would look at Kiawah Island and Murrell's Inlet also. I second Edisto. Hilton Head is great for the non-beach things, but honestly those activities are way better when it isn't so hot (think spring/fall). I love HHI and go every year at least once or twice, but once our kids were out of school, we shifted to times outside of the summer months (although we do go in the summer sometimes too).

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Right this second, there's availability at Coral Reef Resort and Island Links on Hilton Head, and then both divisions of Grand Palm (presidential and regular) along with Deercreek at Surfside Beach. Still considering. Ultimately it will be up to Laney as it's her graduation present. :)

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Neither. Edisto Island :)
It is on my list of things to check out. The only downside I see to Edisto is the shortage of well rated timeshares to choose from. What timeshares on Edisto Island are recommended? I imaging Wyndham through RCI might be my best bet, but I do also have a trader in II.

From my perspective, I imagine EI being more remote (like the NC Outer Banks) than like MB or HHI. How is it different than the Outer Banks?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
NC Outer Banks, is not remote. IMHO
From June to September their maybe 500,000 people on the Outer Banks.
Sunshine, fishing and their long stretch of beaches are their major drawing,card.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
NC Outer Banks, is not remote. IMHO
From June to September their maybe 500,000 people on the Outer Banks.
Sunshine, fishing and their long stretch of beaches are their major drawing,card.
I agree. When I first went to outer banks and heard about it being less commercial, I was a little disappointed. Maybe some parts of the outer banks are less commercial but not Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head. It's been 10+ years since I have been to Edisto and that is what I would call less commercial. It was what I imagined Ocean City Maryland to be like before the bay bridge was built. Certainly a vacation spot but more of one for families that could entertain themselves without needing hundreds of restaurants and businesses to support the vacation industry.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot there is now a new Waterpark amusement park on OBX.

Last edited:

jleake

TUG Member
Reaction score
When our children were little we stayed in Myrtle Beach. Now my husband and I prefer Hilton Head as do my children and grandchildren. The bicycle trails are amazing and so are the consignment shops. Beaufort SC is about 1 hour away and worth the drive.

Reactions: jme

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I'd also vote for trying HHI. It's a lovely area and very enjoyable--even in summer, many of the bike trails are shaded with live oak trees. We've been to MB and Surfside for fam vaca and much prefer HHI, esp. for biking.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Please go to HHI. We have more than enough tourist already. Every time this question gets asked there are always the half fulls vs the half empty. We choose to be in the half full group concerning any place we go to. Otherwise, why travel at all? I believe the demographics of this forum skew any reasonable reviews of the two places in question.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I have been to both in the summer and each has their own unique feel. Where to go is all dependent on what you like to do.

Myrtle Beach

Myrtle Beach is very much so an active place. There's an amusement park right off the beach, the Boardwalk has many gift type shops and bars. There's live action plays, minor league baseball and even a college with a D1 football team close by. Broadway at the Beach has many family attractions like The Broadway Grand Prix (8 track Go-Kart Park), Ripley's Aquarium and Wonderworks. They have a Hard Rock Cafe there and many large chain stores (Ron Jon Surf Shop, etc). They also have/had some fun little shops like the Retro Store (70's-90's memorabilia) and the Stupid Factory (sarcastic and funny graphic tees, socks, coffee cups and the like). The Boardwalk can get packed with partiers on Friday and Saturday nights. There are several mini golf and water parks in the area. The food scene is decent, but not up to various other summer beach towns. There are some rougher parts in the area, especially south of the Boardwalk where there are several abandoned resorts right off the beach. The resorts are very tall and right up next to the beach. The beach north of the Boardwalk (we stayed at HGVC Ocean 22) was kind of meh. Getting into the water was not as fun as there's a drop off where shells collect and it can get a little uncomfortable to step through. If you are into golf, there are plenty of courses to play, many at reduced rates (or free) with your stay and many resorts.

Hilton Head

Hilton Head is more laid back and upscale. The community is very organic (take pride in local businesses). So many outdoors type of activities. As mentioned above, there are miles and miles of bike trails. Many resorts have deals with bike rental places and deliver your bikes to you. There's hiking, kayaking, fishing, and even bird watching. The beach is FANTASTIC! One of my favorite beaches and rivals some of beaches on Michigan's Sunset Coast. It has such a small decline and is easy for anybody to get in and out of. The resorts are pretty short (tallest is something like 6 stories) and they are set back from the beach so you just enjoy them. There are commercial gift type shops, but most are locally owned and have decent stock. You are close to Savannah Georgia and that's always a great trip. Then there's the food. One of the top foodie places in the US, you can get everything from diner food to 5 star restaurants. There's a thread in the Marriott forum just on the restaurants and its 30 some pages long. I discovered my love for Poke Bowls here. Had one of the best burgers I have ever had at The Frosty Frog in Coligny Park (the main commercial center right off of Coligny Beach). The golf is great here too. There isn't as much for younger families not interested in outdoorsy type of activities. No amusement parks, boardwalks, water parks, mini golf and the like. At least we didn't see any. I believe the main drawback is everything is so spread out. To get to many of the restaurants, it's a decent drive. It might take you 10-15 minutes to get to some places if you are staying right off the beach.

Preference

My family and I like HHI much better than MB, but would go back to MB in heartbeat. We liked both very much. With older children (13, 19 and 23) HHI is a better choice for us, but they all liked MB too.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
concur with dayooper's descriptions-except HHI has several mini-golf places (and a skateboard public park if your kids are into that).

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
dayooper's excellent comparison of the two (2) cities. IMHO.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try HHI and do a side trip to Savannah... they have ghost tours and trolley tours. We have always enjoyed the condos and looks like good choices! Happy Graduation!

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
Our first timeshare experience was at Myrtle Beach for a week over Christmas with the family…. To me even being off season I found it overly touristy, now fast forward 13 years later and we will be going for our 6th trip to HH Island staying at Island Links at the end of July!!! We love HH, everything to the beach in the morning, Hilton Head Ice Cream, the wonderful restaurants, shops etc…. We tell friends it’s the classy family party place to go. Our nephews and their families have joined us twice while being there and this year one of them asked if we were going and they are meeting us there…. They want to also make it a summer rendezvous. We spend one day at Savanah, Georgia, and make memories!!!!

Attachments

• 776A3073-0F30-4B63-8C5E-4FB40CA5BF78.jpeg
    776A3073-0F30-4B63-8C5E-4FB40CA5BF78.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 3EF53151-4FD5-48DC-B293-77602BE8505B.jpeg
    3EF53151-4FD5-48DC-B293-77602BE8505B.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 5D91717B-FAC7-4D62-80A4-B7F4778487E9.jpeg
    5D91717B-FAC7-4D62-80A4-B7F4778487E9.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Magic1962 ...tell me more about Island Links. Looks like a nice place!

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Magic1962 ...tell me more about Island Links. Looks like a nice place!
We love it there, from when you go in to when you leave you feel like your at home…. They have a shuttle that goes to the beach every 30 minutes between Memorial Day and Labor Day…. They have 1,2 and 3 bedroom suites…. I have heard they have been updating a number of the suites. They have two pools, a pool bar, I have been an RCI member and trade into Island links.They get great reviews from RCI members… If your looking for an easy going laid back place, this place is it…. If your looking for a lazy river, next to the beach etc. this isn’t it…. Hope this helps! We LOVE Island Links. We have 10 of our immediate family and 19 with the nephews and their families who call this, “our special place”…

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Magic1962 ...that sounds like my kind of place. I don't need a Marriott. I need clean and safe, with enough beds for everyone. Now to convince Laney that she wants to go to Hilton Head. :) It makes for a long time away from home...we drive to Missouri, spend a week, then fit in somewhere on the way back to Maine. Still...you only live once. Crossing my fingers!

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Magic1962 ...that sounds like my kind of place. I don't need a Marriott. I need clean and safe, with enough beds for everyone. Now to convince Laney that she wants to go to Hilton Head. :) It makes for a long time away from home...we drive to Missouri, spend a week, then fit in somewhere on the way back to Maine. Still...you only live once. Crossing my fingers!
We come from up near Toledo, Ohio… 14+ hours…. Funny thing I read that there are more people who come from Ohio in the summer to Hilton Head then any other State…

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
We're at HHI now. Traffic circles, and mediocre expensive food. But great bands (Jazz Corner and Fish) and the Wine and Food Festival was fun.