• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My wife bought a deal at Westgate yesterday.

Reaction score
She got a 1 week 2 bedroom float for $10,900 and only has m/f every even year. They said you could convert the 1 week at the Orlando disney front gate to a every year 6d/5n at other westgate properties. We own HGVC and have been happy. After reading on here, I feel there may be underlying things that we don't know about westgate that could make it a horrible deal. Is there anyone with any first hand knowledge that could enlighten me about westgate and how they are so different than HGVC, SVO, Hyatt, and others? I did find the secret compartment that gave me a bad feeling that a company would do such a thing to begin with. Your experience and expertise is appreciated.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
She got a 1 week 2 bedroom float for $10,900 and only has m/f every even year. They said you could convert the 1 week at the Orlando disney front gate to a every year 6d/5n at other westgate properties. We own HGVC and have been happy. After reading on here, I feel there may be underlying things that we don't know about westgate that could make it a horrible deal. Is there anyone with any first hand knowledge that could enlighten me about westgate and how they are so different than HGVC, SVO, Hyatt, and others? I did find the secret compartment that gave me a bad feeling that a company would do such a thing to begin with. Your experience and expertise is appreciated.

You want to rescind right now, this is not a good deal and Westgate is one that is only worth about a few dollars on the resale market... You can purchase this some thing on the resale market for a a few dollars on ebay...

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
certainly suggest you rescind, if for no other reason than to get those questions answered completely before being locked in to a deal for the rest of your life.

you certainly wouldnt complete the purchase on a car without knowing all the details about the warranty would you?

We wont even get into the fact that you can likely get that same 2br floating week for about 99% less than you paid by buying on the resale market =)

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/did_i_get_a_good_deal_on_my_new_timeshare.htm

Welcome to TUG, you just saved $11 grand =)

ziravan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Run away.

You're among the lucky in that you sought advice before your recission period is up. You have options.

Staying with wastegate would be the worst option. They're slimy and the hidden pocket is proof - all the proof you need to bail.

If they would hide critical information in a hidden pouch, and they did, then how can you trust anything they told your wife?

You can't trust them. They've already proven that in the short time you've been an owner.

Rescind and don't answer the phone when they call (and they will) to try to salvage the deal.

If you offered me your deal for free and paid the maintenance fees for several years, I'd turn it down. I wouldn't deal with that level of dishonesty if you paid me.

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancel the contract ASAP.

If you can't find the paperwork, look out for the "security pocket" they have hidden in the booklet they give you.

For ~$3500 or less you can get an every other year 2BR HGVC property 7000 points on resale market (for ~$7k you can get an annual contract).

you are paying to much and receiving to little. People actually pay others to take similar contracts off their hands (it is worth negative money).

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Things that make Westgate different (I don't have direct experience, this is what I've read here on Tug and other forums):

They lie about what you are buying - I guess most timeshares do that

If you have to sell it, the resale buyer cannot only book the home resort and cannot exchange for other properties and can only book within 60 days

There are really high fees to exchange your property within the system

When you stay at your resort, you will be hounded to upgrade and buy more during your entire stay

Do you like Westgate properties? Many people do and you can trade into any of them via II. You can cancel this contract and buy a Shell contract for $1. and use that to trade into any Westgate property.

Also, how did your wife buy a contract without you? I thought if you were married both parties had to sign/purchase the property.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Add me to the chorus of those encouraging you to rescind. You just have this one opportunity to do so and once the rescission period passes you'll be stuck with this purchase.

The deal will still be there if, after doing more research, you still think it's a good one (it's not!!).

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot think of ONE single reason that a logically thinking person would go through with this purchase. The salesweasels lie and promise things that absolutely are not true, Wastegate corporate changes conditions of use and ownership at a whim, and they strip all benefits from the ownership making it valueless to a second owner, should (when) you decide to sell. You have to pay someone to take them off your hands!

RESCIND while you can!

The address is the one in Ocoee Florida. Not that Westgate would tell you.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another one for rescind. Its maybe worth as much as the paper its printed on. Maybe.

jhoug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind...In addition

Westgate fees for their internal exchanges are quite high and they have limits on or extra fees for seasons.
We have a Park City Westgate week 47 (this week Thanksgiving) that we bought when it was a "fringe" week---was considered yellow season--but we knew was a ski week--when II changed all week 47 units to ski season--we were "grandfathered" meaning we can still use this week, but no other ski weeks, unless we pay a $1200 upgrade fee.
They almost tried to charge us the upgrade fee this year for booking our own week. We had to point out the purchase date and the grandfathered clause in their member guide.
Also they give us a crappy week 43-45 if we bank with II.
In addition, maintenance fees have gone up substantially in the last few years compared to other timeshares we own.

I would also vote to rescind. If you really want a Westgate week, then you can find many resale.

massvacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind. No question. Too much money. Buy resale. I'd also recommend looking at other timeshare resorts rather than the particulate resort where you bought.

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind immediately like rush delivery that thing drop whatever it is your doing and go back to the resort immediately and give that thing back ASAP.

NEVER buy from the resort/developer

BUY Resale!!

:banana:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind immediately like rush delivery that thing drop whatever it is your doing and go back to the resort immediately and give that thing back ASAP.

NEVER buy from the resort/developer

BUY Resale!!

Mostly good advice. Don't go back to the resort, though. Rescind per the instructions in the hidden pocket. Don't answer calls. They lie for a living.

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mostly good advice. Don't go back to the resort, though. Rescind per the instructions in the hidden pocket. Don't answer calls. They lie for a living.

I went back to the resort just saying my rescind went without issue get everything in writing!

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's fantastic, but I still wouldn't go back to the resort.

I was still at the resort mother in law owned there so next day when I woke I went back to where they hold the stupid presentations but yeah if it is a huge traveling job to get there I agree but since I was there I went back up to the sales extravaganza the next morning and they wanted me out of there in a hurry bc the new herd had just got there so them seeing me giving it back wouldn't have been good for future sales I am sure so that was the fastest rescind ever.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was still at the resort mother in law owned there so next day when I woke I went back to where they hold the stupid presentations but yeah if it is a huge traveling job to get there I agree but since I was there I went back up to the sales extravaganza the next morning and they wanted me out of there in a hurry bc the new herd had just got there so them seeing me giving it back wouldn't have been good for future sales I am sure so that was the fastest rescind ever.

More likely, for many buyers, if the weasels managed to sucker them into buying, all the buyer is doing is giving the weasels the opportunity to sucker them into not rescinding. That' why it is sound advice to not contact the sales staff again, ever.

Reaction score
My biggest concern at this point will be getting all of my money back on my credit card for the deposit and marketing program that they charged. Sounds like they lie and play games too much and may claim I didn't return everything or something else to keep some money.

ziravan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My biggest concern at this point will be getting all of my money back on my credit card for the deposit and marketing program that they charged. Sounds like they lie and play games too much and may claim I didn't return everything or something else to keep some money.

They will charge you $50 bucks for the binder. In the rescind letter state you'll return binder and materials by separate method and send it by as snail a mail as possible. Even then, they can't refuse to recind.

The law is the law. Slimy as Wastegate is, even they won't risk the consequences of not following the law.

Recission is your legal right. They aren't doing you any favor that they can decide not to do for some trumped up reason.

Recind today. The day after your recission period is over, I promise you that they will have no pity over your situation. They'll have a binding contract that they'll destroy you if necessary to enforce.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yep, dont sweat them "not refunding your money"....as long as you follow the directions as specified in the cancellation documents in the hidden pocket within the recission period, they cannot refuse to cancel your contract.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you will be refunded all money paid. Sleazy as they are, even Wastegate won't mess with the law. A note of caution, though, keep the postal receipt showing that you sent back their promotional materials. You should send their junk to the resort where you got it rather than the business office where the rescission letter goes.

I'm still a little curious on how the wife was able to make this purchase- or even attend the sales presentation without the husband's presence. Care to explain? This is most unusual.

Jim

Reaction score
Apparently either party can purchase from westgate individually. They ask if married that both attend, I didn't stay after the breakfast and walk around. I went and tour the property without the salesman. I didn't ask permission and no one stopped me. She stayed with my sons at the eating area and upon return I was informed she was in the closing office. I didn't sign anything and my name wasn't on anything.