• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Survey (not sure what to pursue)

Nickelnm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None (yet) Doing research
1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Unsure,

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Trade

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Hawaii, Local to me in Washington State, International, East Coast (think Civil War historical locations). Like places that are kid friendly, water oriented, and/or historical or culturally significant.

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 4 to 6 in our party

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? Locked into School schedule with kids, but still flexible. Cannot travel during tax season (December 15th to May 1st)

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Nope

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Usually

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 2.5+

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? Flexible

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? 2k-4K

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes, can be

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes which is why I'm looking on the secondary market

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My knee-jerk response would be that timesharing may not be for you, and I'm curious why you want to get into it. A few red flags are that you have a big block of time you can't go (4.5 mos.), have kids in school, can't plan 12 months ahead or stay a full week, and you want to go to places like Hawaii in 2.5 star accommodations.

I think you will find yourself very frustrated with the timeshare booking "game" and your best value would be to rent TS weeks on the secondary market (TUG, Redweek, etc.).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!

definitely second the suggestion of looking into rentals!

provide you with all of the enjoyment, without having to own!

Nickelnm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I work full-time 4.5 months out of the year, during school hours. The rest of the time I have a 100% completely flexible schedule (as my work the rest of the year can be done remotely) and i have been known to take the kids out of school and travel with them. Staying a full weeks depends on the location. I can't make travel arranged 12 months in advance due to a dialysis patient child. Sometimes we have to delay travel by a day or two if he is sick.

As far as accomodations. We don't need something super fancy. We want something clean and homey with a washer/dryer. That's pretty much our wish list.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely rent awhile while learning more to zero in on what you want, if you want. Worldmark would be perfect for you geographically and they have HI locations, but light on the East Coast. Wyndham would get you to the places like Williamsburg and HI, but light in the PNW.

2.5 star accomodations would be a minimum standard, and you can get fine accomodations in HI within your maintenance fee budget. The lack of ability to plan out would hinder the usefulness of timeshare for you. You might find that you do have the ability to plan, but just haven't done it.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
I agree with response #2. How old are your children? In your post you stated you have been know to take them out of school. I assume they are young, with all that kids need now days(or think they do) and one needing dialysis, why you want to contract your self to ever increasing MF's and a monthly payment, that in the end will be worth nothing what you paid(unless it's a resale), Please rent first to see if it's right for you.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't disagree with the others recommending checking out rentals. There is a TUG forum for those as well as in the marketplace in that dark blue stripe at the top of this page. (a little history) Timeshares used to expensive to buy, but the annual nut was pretty cheap. Now, with many owners aging out of travel and simply wanting to liquidate unused ownerships etc, timeshares are cheap-to free. But way back when they were cheap, developers put more-or-less automatic inflation protection of up to about 5% annual increases on the maintenance fees. (MF) So now the MFs are close to what the market will bear as rentals. So rent.

Another timeshare management co. to look that works well for Northwest residents is VRI. If you don't need big, corporate, hotel-based properties, these are great. We've owned VRI managed resorts for years. They are independent, owner controlled HOA's and well located and managed. look here: www.vriresorts.com

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The biggest problem I see that you'll face is trying to exchange less than 12 months out. The better places will already be taken, and you'll be forced to take a less-desirable location, which affects your vacation's bottom line. If you don't enjoy yourself, you won't be as willing to make the effort to continue to work the system to your advantage.

I strongly recommend you rent what you want, when you want to go there, until you can fully decide whether owning is a good idea for you. Timeshares generally don't appreciate in value, and regardless of purchase price, it's much easier to get into one than to get out of one.

Dave

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second Worldmark.

It has a large presence in the West. A large number of resorts in Washington and BC. The Camlin is nice for visiting Seattle(if OP doesn't live there). Eagle Crest and 7th Mountain Resort are beautiful places to visit in Bend OR area.

It is 3 to 4 stars.

You don't have to plan 13 months in advance but it helps if you are trying for places like Hawaii and West Yellowstone(summer).

You have the flexibility to cancel 30 days out. MF's are reasonable. There is bonus time. Inventory specials. Monday Madness specials.

You have access to II and RCI.

Research Worldmark and ask more questions.

Nickelnm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm just south of Seattle area, but there are some places I wouldn't mind visiting more if they were available on a timeshare (exchange or not). Luckily, we have tons of time to spend without dialysis kiddo, but have amazing insurance who covers 100% of everything.

I have a high school child and middle school child, both Straight A's. We can plan things out, but also have to remain a little flexible in case of last minute illness (such a point protection or a generous cancellation policy.

When we travel we spend very few actual time IN the accomodations. We are out and about doing things...

And I'm VERY much into the information gathering stage.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham and Worldmark both sound good for you as they have many locations and that would save you on the exchanging fees. There are lots of people who own too many Wyndham and Worldmark points and it is easy to rent from them. You may want to check out the locations and see if either of those interest you. Then, you can rent from someone a few times before you decide if you want to buy.

Vacation preferences change over time, too. I loved having timeshares for 5 years, but now I'd rather stay in 4 or 5* full service hotels, take cruises and go camping.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I'm just south of Seattle area, but there are some places I wouldn't mind visiting more if they were available on a timeshare (exchange or not). Luckily, we have tons of time to spend without dialysis kiddo, but have amazing insurance who covers 100% of everything.

I have a high school child and middle school child, both Straight A's. We can plan things out, but also have to remain a little flexible in case of last minute illness (such a point protection or a generous cancellation policy.

When we travel we spend very few actual time IN the accomodations. We are out and about doing things...

And I'm VERY much into the information gathering stage.
I sent you a PM