• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My "Retirement Orchid"

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Tuggers know, (well, most of you, anyway), that I retired about three weeks ago. My coworkers gave me a nice send-off, lots of hugs, and sent me home with an orchid. It was a bunch of bare canes with lumps where flower buds were developing. I accepted their kind gift, with absolutely no idea what they were giving me.

Fast forward nearly three weeks, and it has exploded into an amazing thing of beauty. Most of the blooms have opened, but there is another cane growing, that I expect will take over blooming when the current batch is done. A really nice plant.

Today the lighting was just right, so I snapped a few pictures to share with my former coworkers. It occurred to me that Tuggers might appreciate seeing it, too. We can all use those moments of happiness in these troubled times.

Anybody an orchid expert? We're thinking this is an oncidium, but it was unmarked. Anybody know?

Dave

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Yes it looks like an oncidium. Very nice!
And the flowers last a long time.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My dh, who used to grow orchids, confirmed it is an oncidium also known as Spanish Lady or Dancing Lady.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Beautiful, I love orchids!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My dh, who used to grow orchids, confirmed it is an oncidium also known as Spanish Lady or Dancing Lady.

Very cool! Thanks! Now I can share that information with my former coworkers. They were curious, too.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a pretty little rascal. I hope it brightens the digs for a good looking time.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
It is an oncidium. They are easier to grow than most. Do not put them in direct sun but a lot of light is good. Water them and let them dry out. It looks beautiful!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Ours is blooming too Dave, we've had it over 20 years.

They like a mostly crushed lava medium with good drainage, not too much potting soil. Get some orchid food, tiny amount diluted in the water every other month.

Ours live outdoors in CA.
b5ce2b4a3b20b2eb5edd7f5dfe927793.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

geekette

Reaction score
Yay! Great thread. It's nice to see beautiful things growing.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ours is blooming too Dave, we've had it over 20 years.

They like a mostly crushed lava medium with good drainage, not too much potting soil. Get some orchid food, tiny amount diluted in the water every other month.

That's a really nice plant. Thanks for the tips - I want to do all I can to try and help mine survive. We'll see how it goes.

Ours live outdoors in CA.

Oh sure, rub it in! LOL! :D

This one is currently living on the kitchen sink window sill, where it gets bright afternoon light, but not any heat. I'm hoping it can survive there. I have a cat who loves to eat live plants, not always a good idea. Too cold here to plant this guy outside, I think. It was 32 degrees here when I got up this morning... :)

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! I love giving gifts of growing things, esp. in times of grief (and, let's face it, the globe is in some kind of grief state at the moment....)

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Tuggers know, (well, most of you, anyway), that I retired about three weeks ago. My coworkers gave me a nice send-off, lots of hugs, and sent me home with an orchid. It was a bunch of bare canes with lumps where flower buds were developing. I accepted their kind gift, with absolutely no idea what they were giving me.

Fast forward nearly three weeks, and it has exploded into an amazing thing of beauty. Most of the blooms have opened, but there is another cane growing, that I expect will take over blooming when the current batch is done. A really nice plant.

Today the lighting was just right, so I snapped a few pictures to share with my former coworkers. It occurred to me that Tuggers might appreciate seeing it, too. We can all use those moments of happiness in these troubled times.

Anybody an orchid expert? We're thinking this is a oncidium, but it was unmarked. Anybody know?

Dave

View attachment 18627
View attachment 18628
Absolutely beautiful plant, Dave!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Absolutely beautiful plant, Dave!

Thanks! I've had absolutely nothing to do with it, other than not letting my cat kill it. LOL! :D

Now that I'm retired, I may have to rethink this growing plants thing. Harbor Freight sells greenhouses for not a lot of money. Maybe I need a new hobby? :)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks! I've had absolutely nothing to do with it, other than not letting my cat kill it. LOL! :D

Now that I'm retired, I may have to rethink this growing plants thing. Harbor Freight sells greenhouses for not a lot of money. Maybe I need a new hobby? :)

Dave
When we bought our last house in California it was on a huge lot. We had a swimming pool, enough yard for a play set, and along the side of the house a basketball court. We didn't think we'd ever use a basketball court with two daughters (who knew one of them would play basketball) so dh ripped out the concert and used the space for a vegetable garden. I still miss that. He also built (not from a kit, lol) a large greenhouse for his orchids. He had been raising orchids for years, starting when he lived in NYC. There were many years we would bring orchid plants back from Hawaii. When we got ready to move dh either sold, or gave away, all of this plants. I can't remember if he dismantled the green house or sold it along with our house. I was hoping to find a picture of it, but couldn't.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When we bought our last house in California it was on a huge lot. We had a swimming pool, enough yard for a play set, and along the side of the house a basketball court. We didn't think we'd ever use a basketball court with two daughters (who knew one of them would play basketball) so dh ripped out the concert and used the space for a vegetable garden. I still miss that. He also built (not from a kit, lol) a large greenhouse for his orchids. He had been raising orchids for years, starting when he lived in NYC. There were many years we would bring orchid plants back from Hawaii. When we got ready to move dh either sold, or gave away, all of this plants. I can't remember if he dismantled the green house or sold it along with our house. I was hoping to find a picture of it, but couldn't.

What a great thing he did! I have friends who recently built a really fancy home in this area. Joe is a major plant fanatic. He'd had a tiny greenhouse at their old home, and he had a HUGE free-standing plant room built at the new place. It's not really a greenhouse, as one wall is cement. More of a Conservatory, I guess you'd call it, as three sides are glass. All climate controlled, and dirt floor and whatever. He spends a lot of time with his plants, including many orchids, and is able to get exotic tropical things to grow, and even bloom, here in the crazy-weather Pacific Northwest. He's definitely way into the process. If this orchid doesn't work out here, I may ask him if I can donate it to his collection.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
Cats may get tummy ache and diarrhea from nibbling on orchids.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What a great thing he did! I have friends who recently built a really fancy home in this area. Joe is a major plant fanatic. He'd had a tiny greenhouse at their old home, and he had a HUGE free-standing plant room built at the new place. It's not really a greenhouse, as one wall is cement. More of a Conservatory, I guess you'd call it, as three sides are glass. All climate controlled, and dirt floor and whatever. He spends a lot of time with his plants, including many orchids, and is able to get exotic tropical things to grow, and even bloom, here in the crazy-weather Pacific Northwest. He's definitely way into the process. If this orchid doesn't work out here, I may ask him if I can donate it to his collection.

Dave
Dh was doing all of the gardening and tending to the orchids while he was still working. For quite awhile he was doing all of the yard maintenance as well. Then he broke his arm. He started using a yard service for the mowing and minor upkeep. He enjoyed that so much that he kept them on even after his arm was healed, but still did the gardening (planting, etc) himself. Where we live now we have NO yard, no grass, and not good soil for planting. He still manages to maintain a small vegetable garden and also has flowers. So he's now doing less with the gardening in retirement, lol. I asked him if he missed the orchids and he said he did a bit.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Cats may get tummy ache and diarrhea from nibbling on orchids.

Exactly. And my cat thinks he's a dog, so he eats anything he can get in his mouth. Strangest animal I've ever lived with. :D

Dave