• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My HGV club regrets, not what the presentation was about.

Blobbb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
I got into the HGV club, just received my bonus points, and am having my third wave of regrets. Paid $17k for 5.6k points biennially, 12k points as a bonus, and $1.5k yearly in fees. I have a few questions for you guys:

1. Please estimate how bad was this deal. 0-10, where 0 is total trash, and 10 is the best deal possible.
2. Is there a way to get out without losses or with minimal loss? If there is such an option, please point me to the resources on the topic.
3. Please confirm if I estimate it correctly: 3 days stay in Hawaii biennially, means 5 times in the next 10 years will cost me $6400, or $1200 a day of stay?

Thank you in advance, sorry for a downer mood.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
It's bad enough that you should rescind immediately. How long ago did you purchase? Are you still within your rescission window (check the docs you got) - typically 7-10 days from date of purchase. This is the consideration of the moment.

No need to apologize. This is something we hear a lot. I hope that you are in time.

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
When did you close? The range to rescind is 3 to 10 days depending on location. If you are past that rescission period, then it is what it is and you will need to make the best of it.

Unfortunately, your MF/pt is high, about 0.26 when, ideally, it would be 0.10 or less. Also, you don't have that many points so it will restrict what units you can use, how long and, potentially, the time of year.

You can stay less than a week on weekdays to use less points, wait for point deals when HGV advertises discounts, use open season, use RCI, and save/borrow to combine points for a longer stay/larger unit.

Blobbb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
It's bad enough that you should rescind immediately. How long ago did you purchase? Are you still within your rescission window (check the docs you got) - typically 7-10 days from date of purchase. This is the consideration of the moment.

No need to apologize. This is something we hear a lot. I hope that you are in time.

Cheers.
Ouch. I didn't even know about the rescission window. We purchased (or actually financed) it in November 2022 and just received points. Looked into the documents, can't see anything about rescission. Was it the only option to get out?

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ouch. I didn't even know about the rescission window. We purchased (or actually financed) it in November 2022 and just received points. Looked into the documents, can't see anything about rescission. Was it the only option to get out?
Yes. That small window is it unless you sell it or give it away but it has to be paid off to do that.

Since you are past the period to rescind, now will be the time to learn how best to use it.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you have access to the HGV website? If so, look at the Navigator page. It goes through how to use your points. Also, look at the points guide to get an idea of the number of points needed by location/season/unit size. For a week stay, the weekend is about 60% of the points so weekday stays use a lot less. Also, some properties use less points and off season uses less points. These are the tricks that you can use to maximize your stays.

Blobbb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
When did you close? The range to rescind is 3 to 10 days depending on location. If you are past that rescission period, then it is what it is and you will need to make the best of it.

Unfortunately, your MF/pt is high, about 0.26 when, ideally, it would be 0.10 or less. Also, you don't have that many points so it will restrict what units you can use, how long and, potentially, the time of year.

You can stay less than a week on weekdays to use less points, wait for point deals when HGV advertises discounts, use open season, use RCI, and save/borrow to combine points for a longer stay/larger unit.
I remember the sales guy telling me that I can come back for an upgrade of the timeshare, so I'll get more points annually and we'll also get more bonus points. The total price of the old timeshare will be substituted from the new timeshare price. Is it a good way to dilute the MF/pt ratio? (I still can't find what MF stands for)

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MF is Maintenance fees. That is your biennial fees. For those with annual deeds, they pay it every year

You can trade in your deed and they will give you the amount you paid for it toward another deed. The good part is that you could get a better deed with lower MF/pt cost but the downside is that it will be expensive to do it.

Another option would be to keep what you have and buy a resale to add points. If you go this route, then you can get a good deed that isn't expensive but you will have another MF. You are probably Max, so adding a resale will give you usable points in Max but they won't increase your Max Tier level.

Blobbb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
MF is Maintenance fees. That is your biennial fees. For those with annual deeds, they pay it every year

You can trade in your deed and they will give you the amount you paid for it toward another deed. The good part is that you could get a better deed with lower MF/pt cost but the downside is that it will be expensive to do it.

Another option would be to keep what you have and buy a resale to add points. If you go this route, then you can get a good deed that isn't expensive but you will have another MF. You are probably Max, so adding a resale will give you usable points in Max but they won't increase your Max Tier level.
I assume it will be expensive to trade in because it's from Hilton directly? There is no hope for a good deal from them?
I am HGV Max. If I'll buy a resale, wouldn't it add to the MF I'm already paying? Just to clarify if it lowers the first MF or two MFs diluting the total MF/pt ratio?

Thank you for your answers, I appreciate it.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes. Buying direct from HGV is outrageous. There are people giving away similar deeds as yours just to get someone else to take it over.

You could get an inexpensive low MF/pt resale that would average out your overall MF/pt cost. Maybe even an even year deed so that you have points each year. Vegas has some good low MF deeds but you could also get one in Scotland.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can look in the TUG marketplace to get an idea of what resales cost but look for a low cost, platinum deed with about 11,200 pts or so.

Here is the TUG marketplace and I have selected HGVC as the filter but you can go the main page and start the search over, https://tug2.com/timesharemarketpla...Id=15022&ForSale=True&HasPointsOwnership=True

Here is Scotland Craig Lodges. We own several here and really like it since they are cheap, low MFs, and only have a 195 pound legal fee for closing and a 300ish pound point activation fee, https://www.craigendarroch.com/sales/

Just remember, resale points will not increase your Max Tier level but will give you more points to use across HGV.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interestingly, the first one listed on that TUG resale page is about what you own:

1688695377165.png

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Blobbb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
Interestingly, the first one listed on that TUG resale page is about what you own:

View attachment 78854
Oh man, I've failed majorly. I can't believe it's legal what Hilton does to first-time buyers. I'll still try to contact the sales guy for a better deal than I have right now. I don't feel comfortable owning it.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh man, I've failed majorly. I can't believe it's legal what Hilton does to first-time buyers. I'll still try to contact the sales guy for a better deal than I have right now. I don't feel comfortable owning it.
Let us know how that goes. It is not uncommon for the sale's folks to ghost buyers who come back to the with complaints. They will give you their time though if they think that they can sell you another deed. Just weigh the overall cost: purchase price, closing costs, and MFs.

Most folks first bought retail and then discovered resale so don't feel bad about that. Actually, even though your deed isn't the best, at least, you only paid about $17k. There are some folks who pay a lot more before they learn about resale. Resale is about 10% of retail but the points work the same way.

rrsafety

Reaction score
Before going into the HGV presentation had you ever heard of timeshares? What was you view of timeshares before you went to the presentation?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The new Hilton is all about the dollars sign. IMHO... LOL

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
I would buy another biennial deed re-sale (if you have odd years, buy even or vice-versa) so you have points every year and MF every year. The low cost of the re-sale deed will even things out and make the pain a little less and you will have something you can use.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. It may seem odd to "double down" and buy more, but EOY deeds with relatively low MFs can be found at low prices. A small additional investment will go a long way towards helping enjoy the program and getting your money's worth out of it. It really is a good system when utilized to its potential, just takes some time to learn the ropes!

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
the $17,000 you paid is done and gone. sunk cost. nothing you can do about it. stop thinking about it.

your deed is mediocre bad. i'd call it 3 out of 10. this is based entirely on your annual MF per point of $1500/5600 points = 26.8 cents. You can commonly pick up Vegas deeds at 10 cents per point per year.

Options 1:

1. sell or give away and be done with HGVC.

2. play around with 5600 points and if you learn to use the system well, and like it, you can shop for another lower priced ($/MF) deed and then either keep this starter deed or dump it.

whatever you do don't go back to HGVC for an upgrade, a trade in, or another retail deed. All of those will screw you over just like you got acrewed over this time. If you buy anything, buy it resale.

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
I like the idea of buying a resale EOY deed to complement the one you have. I’m assuming you have an EOY odd, since you’re getting your points in 2023. You also mentioned Hawaii. Looking at rofr.net, these EOY properties are the recent sales that passed.

Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations Club5/11/2023PlatinumEOY2BR PremierN/A
$6,000.00​
PassedToto
Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations Club9/25/2021PlatinumEOY1BR PlusN/A
$1,000.00​
PassedAnge
King's Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club12/1/2020PlatinumEOY1BR PremierN/A
$5,000.00​
PassedBingo Bango
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations Club4/21/2021GoldEOY2BRN/A
$217.50​
PassedPete
Lagoon Tower by Hilton Grand Vacations Club9/9/2020PlatinumEOY1BR PlusN/A
$1,500.00​
PassedPhyllis
The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort3/6/2022PlatinumEOY2BRN/A
$1,000.00​
PassedMike
The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations Club4/8/2022PlatinumEOY1BR RegularResort View
$3,000.00​
PassedGbt

These are just the ones that I recognize. There are more recent sales but they were annual contract. I don’t know how many points correspond to each of those feeds but platinum season 2BR deeds will bring in a lot of points. As you can see, it’s possible and you can bring your overall purchase cost per point down significant by creating an annual contract using two EOYs - 1 retail you’re stuck with and 1 super cheap resale. Learn the program and use the points. Overall it’s a good program. To claw back some of what I spent on my retail deed, I usually don’t mind going to the 1-hr owner updates. I’ll take their free gift and always say “No” to their offer.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the HGV Tug family!

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I like the idea of buying a resale EOY deed to complement the one you have. I’m assuming you have an EOY odd, since you’re getting your points in 2023. You also mentioned Hawaii. Looking at rofr.net, these EOY properties are the recent sales that passed.

Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations Club5/11/2023PlatinumEOY2BR PremierN/A
$6,000.00​
PassedToto
Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations Club9/25/2021PlatinumEOY1BR PlusN/A
$1,000.00​
PassedAnge
King's Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club12/1/2020PlatinumEOY1BR PremierN/A
$5,000.00​
PassedBingo Bango
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations Club4/21/2021GoldEOY2BRN/A
$217.50​
PassedPete
Lagoon Tower by Hilton Grand Vacations Club9/9/2020PlatinumEOY1BR PlusN/A
$1,500.00​
PassedPhyllis
The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort3/6/2022PlatinumEOY2BRN/A
$1,000.00​
PassedMike
The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations Club4/8/2022PlatinumEOY1BR RegularResort View
$3,000.00​
PassedGbt

These are just the ones that I recognize. There are more recent sales but they were annual contract. I don’t know how many points correspond to each of those feeds but platinum season 2BR deeds will bring in a lot of points. As you can see, it’s possible and you can bring your overall purchase cost per point down significant by creating an annual contract using two EOYs - 1 retail you’re stuck with and 1 super cheap resale. Learn the program and use the points. Overall it’s a good program. To claw back some of what I spent on my retail deed, I usually don’t mind going to the 1-hr owner updates. I’ll take their free gift and always say “No” to their offer.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the HGV Tug family!

The third one in your list is mine and comes with 20,160 pts EOY. It’s just like having a great Vegas EY deed and very lowMF/pt ratio (7.9 cents/pt)

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
The third one in your list is mine and comes with 20,160 pts EOY. It’s just like have a great Vegas EY deed and very lowMF/pt ratio.
i see those KL deeds and they do seem quite similar in MF and purchase price per point to Vegas. Nice buy.