• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My head is spinning...Too much to learn..Help direct me please

David R

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and came across this board while trying to research timeshares. I really appreciate the fact that this community exists as there's obvioulsly a lot of good learning to be had.

First question: is there a thread that explains all the acronyms you guys use? I couldn't find one that translated the TS code. Some things (like TS, MF and SA) I can figure out, other things like ROFR go right over my head.

Secondly, I am a father of 5 ranging from 1yr old to 20yr old living in Maryland just north of DC, I was trying to find a beach vacation spot for the whole family (the 20 yr old may not be there depending on work, my neice and or a family friend may come along too). The thing is, we like places we can drive to (outer banks at 5-6 hours is the travel limit) and we don't mind going to the same place every year (if you can't have variety, you can have tradition). When we go, we go cheap. We load up the van like the Beverly Hillbillies, and mainly just hang out at the beach and pool the entire time. Large accommodation right on the beach with a killer indoor pool (for when it rains) is perfect for us.

Also, we can usually leave at the drop of a hat, with about a weeks notice during the summer as I am self employed and can partially run my company from the telephone.

I am really curious what the experienced travelers here would recommend. We are not picky, but need clean, safe, near the beach, pool, kitchen (so we don't have to eat out much) and hopefully some kid friendly activities near by. Water parks are a big hit too. So far, we've been to outer banks, virginia beach, rehoboth beach, and ocean city and liked every place we've been, the water seemed warmer in Virignia beach which was nice, but maybe that was just the week we went. We don't have to go during peak season but don't want to go when the water is too cold to swim. Any particular resorts to check out is appreciated. I don't want to fly as it's just too much hassle with the little ones plus it adds expense. We will probably do a road trip to Disney world in a year or two, but I wouldn't want to go there often as it's too far.

The only thing we might trade for is a week in the mountains. We don't ski but we do like lakes, campfires, and peacefull woodsy scenery. As long as there's a nice pool, my waterbabies will be satisfied.

Thanks,
David.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG David - you will find tons of useful information here. Although I can't help you with finding a timeshare along the coast, I would suggest that you invest in a membership. It's only $15 and gets you access to resort reviews, last minute deals, etc.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here is a link to the TUG advice page - http://www.tug2.net/tugadvic.shtml
It's a good place to start doing your reserch.

Here is my personal advice for buying a first timeshare - http://tug2.net/advice/Timeshare_Buying_Tips.htm

I highly recommend that you don't buy anything for at least 6 mos. and during that time, do your homework here on TUG. It will take you that long to really be an educated buyer. If you buy something quickly, you are almost certainly to regret it in the future when you know more about timesharing.

Welcome to TUG and Good Luck! :hi:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
highly recommend that you don't buy anything for at least 6 mos.
Super advice. It is very very easy to buy a timeshare. It is very very hard to sell one. You want to go in to that first purchase with as much information as possible.

In the meantime, consider renting from someone here at TUG---it is often a very good deal in and of itself.

David R

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far.

Oddly enough, I just got a call from Sunshine Promotions. They are going to give me free airfare for 2 to Vegas or Orlando PLUS a 3 day 4 night stay just for listening to a 90 minute presentation about their travel club. WOW! Unfortunately, I can't beleive they would give me all that just for listening and not buying anything. I can beleive, the hotel stay, but the airfare puts it way over the top.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Oddly enough, I just got a call from Sunshine Promotions. They are going to give me free airfare for 2 to Vegas or Orlando PLUS a 3 day 4 night stay just for listening to a 90 minute presentation about their travel club. WOW! Unfortunately, I can't beleive they would give me all that just for listening and not buying anything. I can beleive, the hotel stay, but the airfare puts it way over the top.

BEWARE! Travel "clubs" are not the same thing as timeshares. I don't know anything about this particular one, but in general they are not recommended. I hope you didn't sign up to go!

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be shocked if they didn't ask for your credit card # upfront for taxes and handling fees which might come close to the actual value of the trip.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
There are lots of great places, but you should take a while before jumping into a timeshare purchase. Resale is the only way to go! If you like Myrtle Beach, consider Sheraton Broadway Plantation, although it is a distance from the beach. :doh:

Also, there are lots of nice Marriotts at Hilton Head, too. Virginia Beach would also be nice. :D

We bought Sheraton because we would love to go there occasionally, and it trades well enough to get us where we want to be.

Wudce

TUG Member
Reaction score
David I know the feeling about your head spining. Picking and buying a TS can be confusing. Follow what's being said here and don't jumb right off and buy whatever at the drop of the hat, learn everthing you can about TS and if there right for your vactions needs. Not sure if you been renting a condo or what when you go on vaction but you could do like my wife and I have done in the past and just rent one to see if we going like the place etc, I use Redweek.com, I check Virginia Beach since you said your been there and I see nine condo for rent right now. Goodluck to you!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you go on one one of those promo-junkets, just remember, no matter how guilty, grateful or pressured you may feel to reciprocate, these folks find plenty of marks whose wallets they open, and your are under no obligation to be one of them.

Those, "today only" deals? Guess what they'll be offering the next day, and the day after that? They know that if you walk out the door and do your research, you will discover what a poor deal you're getting compared to resale. They will pull out all the stops, including outright lies and the common salesman "talk to my manager to make sure I haven't done anything wrong" tactic.

After keeping you captive for more like 3 hours, throwing "great deal" after "great deal" at you, eventually, they'll let you go. Then you can head to the nearest pub to decompress.

Wudce

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you go on one one of those promo-junkets, just remember, no matter how guilty, grateful or pressured you may feel to reciprocate, these folks find plenty of marks whose wallets they open, and your are under no obligation to be one of them.

Those, "today only" deals? Guess what they'll be offering the next day, and the day after that? They know that if you walk out the door and do your research, you will discover what a poor deal you're getting compared to resale. They will pull out all the stops, including outright lies and the common salesman "talk to my manager to make sure I haven't done anything wrong" tactic.

After keeping you captive for more like 3 hours, throwing "great deal" after "great deal" at you, eventually, they'll let you go. Then you can head to the nearest pub to decompress.

I know I will never fall for one of them promo-junkets deals again. Last time was right at 4 hours was a Wyndam resorts was told it be about a hour , yea right it ruin my wife and I hole day no one would take no for a answer even the lady at the check out where we was to get our free gift try to con us into buying, I think in another minute my wife would have slap her:hysterical: Another one I had problems with was Westgate again same deal.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't do it...

... I just got a call from Sunshine Promotions. They are going to give me free airfare for 2 to Vegas or Orlando PLUS a 3 day 4 night stay just for listening to a 90 minute presentation about their travel club. WOW! Unfortunately, I can't beleive they would give me all that just for listening and not buying anything. I can beleive, the hotel stay, but the airfare puts it way over the top.

David:
What is your time worth? The sales pitch (aka "presentation") will almost certainly be several hours, not just 90 minutes. Parasites like these are making a minor investment in order to corner, cajole and presure you into an overpriced purchase of what?.... a "club membership".... in which you own absolutely nothing and may never actually be able gain access to anywhere you and your family actually want to go. The easiest way to say no is to simply just avoid these parasites completely in the first place.

Your time would be better spent reading and researching --- and then reading and researching more. In the meantime, rent --- don't buy. The money you will save in any future resale market purchase will (many times over) make up for the alleged "value" of any such promo trip for a "club membership". Just my personal opinion, to accept or ignore as you see fit.

Last edited:

David R

Reaction score
FYI, i knew that presentation would be a bad idea. They were offering so much...too much, that I knew it would be a mistake so I never went. I will be looking at rental opportunities if we need to get away before I buy something.

Thanks for all the help so far.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
David, as part of your timeshare education and research, if you haven't already done so, I recommend you spend the $15 to join TUG. It'll be the best timeshare money you'll ever spend. It will give you full access to the entire site, so you can research real-life user reviews of timeshares and honest appraisals of resorts you might hear about elsewhere, or consider buying into. Then compare those same resorts to the classified ad pages here, to see what prices members are trying to buy or sell timeshares in those resorts. Then go to eBay and see what people are willing to take to sell timeshares in those very same resorts. It all falls under the umbrella of becoming an educated consumer.

A little real-world example: My brother and his wife spent over $10,000 to buy a studio week from the developer at a nice resort in Cabo San Lucas. They spend a lot of money for maintenance fees there every year. After staying there with them, I bought a studio week in Hawaii on eBay for $400, (it often sells for just $1), and exchanged right back into their Mexican resort the following year, into a much larger unit with a better ocean view. They had to stay in their studio, while I had a much better experience. My total cost for that vacation including exchange fees was less than their annual maintenance fee for just one year. So there are several ways to work details to your advantage.

Good luck,
Dave

beachlimey

Reaction score
Aren't you guys who have several timeshare properties worried that they will keep increasing the maintenance fees so that eventually the fees are more than you would pay for a vacation?

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV

By the way.... you will need to decompress. We had such a headache after the presentation. It was five hours of high pressure and lies for us! I will never do it again! They will eventually let you go after telling you "you mustn't care about your family...because if you did you would want to spend quality vacation time with them and buy a timeshare."

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aren't you guys who have several timeshare properties worried that they will keep increasing the maintenance fees so that eventually the fees are more than you would pay for a vacation?
Not particularly, because the costs of vacation lodging keep going up, as well. The reason to sell is that I want to take fewer vacations.

But, it's a good idea to start small, with just one, and get your feet wet with that. I own three different weeks---and that's almost more than I can find a use for after bonus weeks, splitting, etc. etc.