• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My co-worker is headed to preview KoOlina. Suggestions?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My co-worker and his wife are headed to KoOlina on Sunday to do a 5 day preview (I get 5,000 points!). They are going all out as it is there first real getaway together without kids. They upgraded to First Class on the non-stop flight and upgraded to a 1BR. I've already warned him about the hard Marriott sales pitch.
  • What is KoOlina offering for a preview nowadays? Free passes to the KoOlina Cat?
  • What are the must see/do activities without too much physical effort?
  • What is the best Luau?
  • What are some must try restaurants?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry

HaHaHa - Five bucks says they will own a Marrriott within a year (resale).

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
If you check the Hawaii forum, you'll find lots of information on activities, luaus, and restaurants.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We did not like the Fia Fia (luau) at the Ko Olina (others on this forum have had differing opinions).

The Roy's in the immediate area was the best of the Roy's locations at which we have eaten. Golf course view, serene, very romantic.

Although it is some effort, your friends should get in their car and drive to the north shore. Sunset Beach is the quintessential Hawaiian beach and absolutely worth the drive.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I agree about Roy's- very enjoyable.

They should go for a ride on the KoOlina Cat. We all loved the excursion.

I didn't go to the luau on-site, but was sorry we didn't because we heard really nice things about it. The only other one worth going to on the island is the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center; the luau itself is ok, but the Horizons show at night is really terrific. In fact, my whole family (us, parents and daughters in their twenties) really enjoyed PCC.

Of course, visiting Pearl Harbor if they haven't been there before is a must do/see.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I told him about Roys and the onsite Luau.

Will KoOlina still give two tickets on the "cat" in lieu of rewards points?

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
We really liked the onsite luau - Fia Fia. So much in fact, that my kids are insisting we go again this year. They dont' need to twist my arm, as I thought it was great also.

PCC was also nice. North shore beaches are great.

Also Pearl Harbor is a MUST see.

Tell them about the flea market at the Aloha stadium - a place to get all those soviners.

We will be at KoOlina on Sunday night.

Can't wait.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
ko olina was the absolute least pressure sell of any ts presentation we ever went to (we done alot of these lol)...actually it was a chat while sitting in an 'outside office' (aka lanai) overlooking the jw/beach side. we just talked about things to do locally and other bs. then we got our points and left. rather enjoyful actually.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
......We will be at KoOlina on Sunday night.

Can't wait.

So will my coworker.
Look for the biggest, tallest, broadest at the resort.
That will probably be him.

Ask him if he works with a guy named Terry. :)

Have fun.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll keep my eye out for him.

My kids will flip though when I start asking strangers questions. They always tell me - thought you not supposed to talk to strangers.

What is his first name? That way if I think I see him, and I call his name and he turns around - I'll know it's him.

Maybe I could pretend I know him, and I could do the "I can't believe you don't remember me thing".

Does he have a sence of humor?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll keep my eye out for him.

My kids will flip though when I start asking strangers questions. They always tell me - thought you not supposed to talk to strangers.
MY youngest DD does the same. :)

What is his first name? That way if I think I see him, and I call his name and he turns around - I'll know it's him.
Randy.

Maybe I could pretend I know him, and I could do the "I can't believe you don't remember me thing".

Does he have a sence of humor?
Very much so.

Enjoy your trip. I am envious.

Terry

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
We did the "Home of the Brave" tour and enjoyed it a lot. Also - depending on the season - the North Shore beaches are exquisite. We were there in June and loved the clear calm water.

Palguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
My co-worker and his wife are headed to KoOlina on Sunday to do a 5 day preview (I get 5,000 points!).

Do all referrals qualify a Marriott owner for 5000 points, or is this specific to certain conditions (only in Texas)? I have two separate couples going to Ko Olina for a presentation in October and am curious.

Thanks

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do all referrals qualify a Marriott owner for 5000 points, or is this specific to certain conditions (only in Texas)? I have two separate couples going to Ko Olina for a presentation in October and am curious.

Thanks

If I remember correctly in most cases you only receive points if your friend purchases a TS and has you listed as the referral. Texas residents earn 5,000 points just for having a friend do a preview. I think this means that I cannot receive purchase referral points, however. But, I did receive self referral points on my last purchase - so who knows??

Terry

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly in most cases you only receive points if your friend purchases a TS and has you listed as the referral. Texas residents earn 5,000 points just for having a friend do a preview. I think this means that I cannot receive purchase referral points, however. But, I did receive self referral points on my last purchase - so who knows??

Terry

P.S. - If your friends need a name for a preview referral, I know somebody. ;)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Terry, are you talking to yourself? :D Remember, now when you start answering yourself, that is when you have to worry. :rofl:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Yes, because I was the only one listening to me. :D

Terry

But at least that ensures you an intelligent answer! :hysterical: