• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Encore Package?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I generally find Encore Packages to be a bad deal. They may be better in places like HHI or Hawaii, but for places like Orlando where a 5 day 4 night packages costs $899+$99, it is a rip off. They say they give you 100,000 Bonvoy points, but I can instead book a getaway through II for about $400. When there on the getaway they will invite me to a presentation where I get 30-40K Bonvoy points for nothing more than my time. Time which I would have had to spend on an Encore Package anyway. I say to avoid Encore Packages unless you know you will be buying from the developer to enroll a post 2010 resale week. Here is the strategy.

1. Buy a resale week that has a good MF to Club Point ratio.
  2. Visit a timeshare and take them up on a presentation.
  3. At the end say no.
  4. They then offer the Encore.
  5. Buy it.
  6. Return at a time they are offering their annual promotion to enroll post 2010 resales.
  7. Buy the points you need to enroll.
  8. They will then take the cost of the Encore off of the purchase price and still give you the incentives for the Encore as well as any first day purchase incentives.

You are effectively getting the Encore package for "free".

Edited to Add: You also don't get any Bonvoy Elite night benefit from Encore stays and if a resort has a parking fee, you have to pay that too.

Totally agree.
Encore Packages are not always good deals, and at least for us historically never seemed attractive. For years we automatically turned them down.
Lately, however the deals and incentives have suddenly increased in value and in interest.....so much so that a couple of them have actually shocked me when presented.
At one recently I remember saying, "No, thank you---we're good for now...." rather emphatically to the Encore rep,
but after repeating the offer in my mind, I said, "Wait a minute, hold it, could you repeat that, please."
Then I went on to buy it after seeing that the incentives were actually very good.
Since then I've surmised that the deals miraculously get better as one's MVC status goes up---more incentives, better incentives, better resorts, maybe an extra night's stay
(say, 4 or 5 nights instead of 3 nights), etc, etc. If they think you're getting close to buying, you are offered some nice things.

Years ago we did a presentation in Orlando at Grande Vista----a truly awful experience-----so afterward we totally abandoned the thought of considering one
for a good 12-15 years, and also stopped doing presentations altogether.

As Jeremy advises above, Interval's "Getaways" available at certain destinations like Orlando, for example, are good---- better than any Encore offers------
so why bother buying an expensive and overpriced Encore. Great point.....so watch the Getaways!!!
But for a return to Grande Ocean or somewhere else we like, the Encore offers have been really good deals for us, so we did a couple.
Our latest Encore was purchased while at Hilton Head last October, and for $699 (silly but actually $999 less a $300 gift at the presentation---why do that???)
we'll get to pick from 3 or 4 resort destinations (in our range of interest)......so again I figured it was because we were Chairman level, and they were trying harder!
So we will use that one to go to Custom House next year and it's for 5 nights. I do consider that a very good deal.

petewong55

TUG Member
Reaction score
Earlier in the year we received a call from Newport, offering a 3 night package for $99 with a $100 AmEx gift card after sitting thru the presentation. We took it.

Reactions: jme

Fallenone

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Points
We are going to Kauai Lagoons over Thanksgiving (11/23 to 11/27) on an Encore package. Maybe we'll get the worst view room. But at $1,299 for four nights and 50k Bonvoy points, I think it's a great deal (please advise if otherwise).

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
W We were told they have around 20 units available the week we want, and we are number 7 on the list so MGO is all but guaranteed. I have 5 days left to cancel.

If you did not get in writing that you will get a July 2023 week I would be skeptical you were told the truth. Curious, what reason did they give on why you could not book it before you left the sales presentation.

If you can get this deal, it is a great deal. Good luck.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased an Encore Package a few years ago that we used for Crystal Shores..when I called to book, I asked what view we could expect, they said it would be an Island View..so we added 3 nights Island view using DC Points,to make it a week.
IMO, even the worst views at Crystal Shores are pretty nice. You can see water from almost any balcony.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I booked the dates for my Encore package just last week, and they go over the terms and conditions and make a point of telling you not to expect a great view... so my expectations are set! They also wanted to know over the phone if I wanted the Marriott points or some type of cash equivalent to be used on site (Mahalo dollars?). They must offer different prices/incentives because my offer was $799 for the 4 nights at Lagoons, but 15K Bonvoy points (if I heard them right).

1CrazyCanuck

Reaction score
I generally find Encore Packages to be a bad deal. They may be better in places like HHI or Hawaii, but for places like Orlando where a 5 day 4 night packages costs $899+$99, it is a rip off. They say they give you 100,000 Bonvoy points, but I can instead book a getaway through II for about $400. When there on the getaway they will invite me to a presentation where I get 30-40K Bonvoy points for nothing more than my time. Time which I would have had to spend on an Encore Package anyway. I say to avoid Encore Packages unless you know you will be buying from the developer to enroll a post 2010 resale week. Here is the strategy.

1. Buy a resale week that has a good MF to Club Point ratio.
  2. Visit a timeshare and take them up on a presentation.
  3. At the end say no.
  4. They then offer the Encore.
  5. Buy it.
  6. Return at a time they are offering their annual promotion to enroll post 2010 resales.
  7. Buy the points you need to enroll.
  8. They will then take the cost of the Encore off of the purchase price and still give you the incentives for the Encore as well as any first day purchase incentives.

You are effectively getting the Encore package for "free".

Edited to Add: You also don't get any Bonvoy Elite night benefit from Encore stays and if a resort has a parking fee, you have to pay that too.
Am just getting started with this awesome community.

Looking for some help exploring and understanding the above suggestion some questions (Note I did look at the FAQ guide re. MVC Weeks):
1) When you look at resale listings are these all considered "post 2010 resales"?
2) Assuming that there is a "limited" time window annually where they offer enrolling 2010 weeks for points?
3) Does "enrolling" mean that the weeks are permanently converted to points now? Or does it mean that one has the option to now do this?
4) In #7 above "Buying the points" is this the cost of enrollment?

Final question besides effectively getting the Encore credited towards your point purchase, could you also not just wait for the annual promotion and enroll the week then?

Thanks in advance for help!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Am just getting started with this awesome community.

Looking for some help exploring and understanding the above suggestion some questions (Note I did look at the FAQ guide re. MVC Weeks):
1) When you look at resale listings are these all considered "post 2010 resales"?
2) Assuming that there is a "limited" time window annually where they offer enrolling 2010 weeks for points?
3) Does "enrolling" mean that the weeks are permanently converted to points now? Or does it mean that one has the option to now do this?
4) In #7 above "Buying the points" is this the cost of enrollment?

Final question besides effectively getting the Encore credited towards your point purchase, could you also not just wait for the annual promotion and enroll the week then?

Thanks in advance for help!
1-Every resale purchased going forward is a post 2010 resale. All listings you see won't be eligible for enrollment unless you make an additional point purchase.
2-Usually their promotion starts in April or so. Others may be able to provide more information based on historical offering of the promo.
3-It just means the resale week is enrolled in the points program. You can choose to elect points from the week on an annual basis or not at all.
4-#7 is where you buy a set number of points, say 3,000. You pay the retail price for the points and they also agree to enroll your post 2010 resale week for no added cost.

You could just wait and enroll the week during the promotion. The reason for buying the Encore is that you effectively get a stay in a timeshare for free along with whatever gift they provide you (cash, points etc). Buying the Encore is just a way to extract added value from the deal.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
@dioxide45 Yes, I paid $799 for the Encore package. I've wanted to try Lagoons for quite some time, so I think this is a pretty economical way to do that. The contract sheet mentions 15K in points, although verbally I thought they had said 50. Fifteen and Fifty sound so similar if you're not paying attention, I'm just going to assume 15 so I'm not disappointed.

1CrazyCanuck

Reaction score
1-Every resale purchased going forward is a post 2010 resale. All listings you see won't be eligible for enrollment unless you make an additional point purchase.
2-Usually their promotion starts in April or so. Others may be able to provide more information based on historical offering of the promo.
3-It just means the resale week is enrolled in the points program. You can choose to elect points from the week on an annual basis or not at all.
4-#7 is where you buy a set number of points, say 3,000. You pay the retail price for the points and they also agree to enroll your post 2010 resale week for no added cost.

You could just wait and enroll the week during the promotion. The reason for buying the Encore is that you effectively get a stay in a timeshare for free along with whatever gift they provide you (cash, points etc). Buying the Encore is just a way to extract added value from the deal.
Thanks for the answers.

So step 1 find and buy a resale week that one would be interested in using & has a good MF/Converted Points Ratio
Step 2 wait for promo period to enroll

Does anyone know what minimum amount of points to buy is expected to enroll your post 2010 weeks; is there a formula?

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
The sales guy told me that you have to close on a resale week and have it show in the Marriott system under your ownership prior to April for them to be able to offer enrollment. Raised the question as I just, in July, closed on a purchase of a week at Grande Chateau.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The sales guy told me that you have to close on a resale week and have it show in the Marriott system under your ownership prior to April for them to be able to offer enrollment. Raised the question as I just, in July, closed on a purchase of a week at Grande Chateau.
As long as they provide the same offer in 2023, you could enroll it then.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
IMO, even the worst views at Crystal Shores are pretty nice. You can see water from almost any balcony.
This is our 10th floor Island view when we were at CS this past May

Attachments

• 843E92FA-5937-4788-8CA1-7349C598DE8C.jpeg
    843E92FA-5937-4788-8CA1-7349C598DE8C.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 30
  • B4433B0C-85AD-4694-B2A7-0D5CC0FEC294.jpeg
    B4433B0C-85AD-4694-B2A7-0D5CC0FEC294.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 27

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
Yep that’s what we got and the rooms are really nice. Going back next year for another told them I needed more information about the combining of the programs so they asked us to come back.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I almost always buy the Encore package. I think they're a very good deal so long as you are able to withstand the sales pressure and don't buy something you don't want. (If you buy something you DO want, that's okay...)

I've had good luck by combining the Encore stay with an ownership stay, so I use the Encore stay as an extension of another stay, either on the front or back end. I think in every single case, the resort has managed to keep me in the same room for the entire stay, so I didn't have to check out and move, and I got the view of my ownership stay for the entire duration, Encore days included. This only works if your stay is during a period where you can get Encore package availability, of course. So it may not work during the busiest periods.

No guarantee that will always work, of course, but I don't think I've ever had a terrible view, even on an Encore stay. Also, when you're combining stays like that, they may forget to charge you for the parking...

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
Thanks for the answers.

So step 1 find and buy a resale week that one would be interested in using & has a good MF/Converted Points Ratio
Step 2 wait for promo period to enroll

Does anyone know what minimum amount of points to buy is expected to enroll your post 2010 weeks; is there a formula?

I too would be interested to know the amount of points typically required to enroll a week. And what is the current cost per point?

Avulasai

Reaction score
Howdy all,

We just stayed at MGO on a Redweek rental week which we paid $3600 for. While there we attended the presentation and received $225. While on the presentation we signed up for an Encore Package that was $1799 plus $99 booking fee for a 7 night stay at MGO and set it up for July next year as it seemed like a decent deal. We were told they have around 20 units available the week we want, and we are number 7 on the list so MGO is all but guaranteed. I have 5 days left to cancel.

Questions: Any issues I should be concerned about with this Encore Package? I'm sure there are things they are not telling me. Should I have tried for a better deal? Any tips and tricks to make this work better?
What’s MGO?

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
Wow, I think your rental was much too high at $3600........maybe the listed fees were such that it was the lowest at the time, but I own 6 MGO summer weeks
and rent out a couple each year, and my fees have NEVER been that high. So anyway, my condolences on that.
And the $225 incentive was abysmal...they could have done far better!!!

For $1799 + $99 next year it sounds like it's a great deal for 7 nights compared to what you just paid......
that will be far less than other listed prices should you do a straigh6t rental on Redweek, for sure.
I would take it unless you can get it for less, but I would tell them you're wanting MGO exclusively. Barony would be a good option if MGO isn't available,
but maybe at a slightly lower fee. Stick to those two.
Hilton Head Island summer weeks are very desirable and $3600 is a very good price. HHI has been given the best island off the US coast for the last 2 or 3years. Because of that, all property is very expensive to rent. I would say that whoever gets your weeks are very lucky.