• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Multiple Myeloma

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
Some of you on here know that I have been getting chemo treatments for Multiple Myeloma. Almost 2 years ago I had a tumor removed from my spine and had chemo to get the 25% that the surgery didn't get. All went well and I was doing good for more than a year until April 2008 when the Myeloma came back. Multiple Myeloma is cancer in the bone marrow that attacks any bones. I started a different type of chemo in May and in my 5th month of treatment. I have one more month to go till end of October. While at treatment last week, I saw the Doc and he said after the treatments he is going to refer me over to M. D. Anderson Hospital at the Houston Medical Center for a Bone Marrow Transplant. It will take 6 to 8 weeks to get the paperwork and approvals and pre-op testings and looking around the first of the year for the transplant. It will take 4 weeks then, maybe in hospital or partially as out patient. So that's the good news I have to share with all my Tugger friends.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish you much success, not only with the chemo, but also with the bone marrow transplant. They can work miracles with cancer today that they couldn't 10 yrs ago.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoppy-
There is so much now that can be done for multiple myeloma - thank God for Milleninum Pharmaceutical and Velcade !! I worked for these great & noble folks when the drug was fast tracked due to its successful treatment.
Please PM me if you'd like.
Best,
Beags (not too far from Cambridge, Ma. - home of Millennium)

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best wishes for a successful outcome. I have known several people over the years with multiple myeloma so I know it's a tough one, but there are great advances in medicine. Good luck!

Sue

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hoppy-
There is so much now that can be done for multiple myeloma - thank God for Milleninum Pharmaceutical and Velcade !! I worked for these great & noble folks when the drug was fast tracked due to its successful treatment.
Please PM me if you'd like.
Best,
Beags (not too far from Cambridge, Ma. - home of Millennium)

Thanks,
I am on Velcade now. Once a week for three weeks then off one week. My blood tests have been coming back normal. He said you don't need a bone marrow donor to do this procedure any more. They take your own bone marrow and heat up the stem cells, kill the cancer and put it back in. ... or something like that. I will learn more about the procedure as times goes on.

By the way, I was born in Somerville and grew up in Mass.

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
I am on Velcade now. Once a week for three weeks then off one week. My blood tests have been coming back normal.

By the way, I was born in Somerville and grew up in Mass.

Ah, one of the "Winter Hill Gang ?" :D

Millennium is right near MIT as you probably know. Off Mass Ave and across Landsdowne St.

I'm from Southie but live in the 'burbs now.

Let me know if you come back here. I'll see if I can get extra Sox Tickets.

Take good care.

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was from Tewksbury/Lowell area. Haven't been back there in years but would like to make the trip some time. I have a cousin in Webster I would like to go visit and others all over there but my travelling has been cut down now. Have a brother and other cousins in Florida so we usually go that way.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoppy, my prayers and thoughts are with you for a full recovery, minimal discomfort, good cheer and excellent medical care.
Liz

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish you all the best in fighting this terrible cancer. I used to work for a company called Celgene who markets thalidomide, which has been helpful in some patients with multiple myeloma. I am sure you have researched all treatments, but I thought I would mention this one in case you haven't considered it.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Prayers

I had a lady at work that her sister had a bone marrow transplant about 5 or so years ago and she's fine.

Wishing you the best.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wishing you the best. I hope all goes well with your treatment plans and that they are a complete success.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hang in there and thanks for sharing your news

Hop - I wish you the best. MD Anderson is top notch as I have had two friends who have undergone treatment there. The hospital is all about cancer 24/7 - it could not be a better place for you to be. I wish you all the best. Funtime
ps - thanks for sharing your news, I am glad it is a positive turn for you.

Aussiedog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck to you!

Hop -

There is a great website/message board for HL and NHL patients - lots of people on that board have had the auto SCT and the new mini auto or mini allo-SCT. People who have gone through this are great sources of info as you prepare for your own journey.

And MD Anderson rocks!

PM me if you need the website address.

Ann

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope things go well, Hop. FIL has been helped greatly by M.D. Anderson. Seems like they really do top-notch work.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoppy, I didn't know what you were going thru and I sincerely wish you all the best. Your positive attitude will go a long way in making things better. Hugs and best wishes coming from the shagster.

Linda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sending my thoughts and prayers to you and wishing you the very best.

Linda

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone for the good wishes. I am going to beat this thing after all I have to continue taking my vacations.

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hop, we'll be thinking of you in Missouri; hope you can make it to Branson next year!

Me too. It's a long drive to do now but next year maybe Thanksgiving. We were thinking of June for our Holiday Hills fixed week but that's out now. Doc says no vacations till maybe July. So will just plan on our Landmark in July.

Hophop4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is an update

I just had 4 visits over at M D Anderson the last couple weeks for various tests and I am like a pin cushion. The MRI took 1-1/2 hours in the machine without moving. eeek!! I survived it. Visted the Doc yesterday for all the results and looks like the Stem Cell (Bone Marrow ) Transplant is going to happen. I am in partial remission right now but not 100%, I still have 10-20% Myeloma. So I go back in 2 weeks to start the procedure. I have been very impressed with MDA on how they do things there.