• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mouse-proofing a travel trailer

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a travel trailer that is left on camp-site throughout the winter. I've received the usual suggestions for "mouse-proofing"...conventional mouse traps, sticky traps, poison baits. Someone also suggested some pine oil scent on cotton balls.
Anyone out there with a tried and true solution.

dwsupt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pine oil I haven't heard of but, it might work. I use peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place them in the hard to get to areas. It will need touched up occasionally. They dislike any strong sent. Of course there is always DeCon....

ladycody

TUG Member
Reaction score
Couple of tips that I've heard...and know people that it's worked for:

Make sachets of cloves and put them throughout the trailer...they smell better than mothballs and will discourage rodents.

You can also help discourage them by getting bobcat or fox urine from a local hunting outfitter (or online) and treat the area outside the trailer and/or hang strips of cloth soaked in it from the bottom of the trailer. The scent discourages skunks, raccoons, squirrels, mice, etc from getting to close.

dukebigtom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Peppermint oil is very good. Rodents and ants avoid it.

Never tried the cloves, but I might.

Another thing you can do is put steel wool (copper wool is even better because it doesn't rust, but it is more expensive) in any holes, cracks, etc. where you think they may be entering. Mice like to come through tiny openings. They like the challenge. They will gnaw at the steel wool and not like it and go somewhere else. This is what exterminators use to plog openings. But, it is very hard to find evey nook and cranny.

Good luck!

BigTom

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pine oil I haven't heard of but, it might work. I use peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place them in the hard to get to areas. It will need touched up occasionally. They dislike any strong sent. Of course there is always DeCon....
:doh::doh::doh::doh:I had a brain fart.
You are correct... I did mean pepermint oil.

The one negative I hear about Decon is the possibility of the mice dying inside a nook or cranny and stinking up the place.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
What a very cool thread! OP, thanks for starting this!

Now I know I need copper wool for my MoHo's brake peddle (our snap traps have been effective - but I'd far prefer to deter entry!), peppermint oil on cotton balls inside and ... ummm ... interestingly scented rags outside. I'm going to put these into action this coming weekend. THANK YOU all!

dwsupt

TUG Member
Reaction score
EWW!

Couple of tips that I've heard...and know people that it's worked for:

Make sachets of cloves and put them throughout the trailer...they smell better than mothballs and will discourage rodents.

You can also help discourage them by getting bobcat or fox urine from a local hunting outfitter (or online) and treat the area outside the trailer and/or hang strips of cloth soaked in it from the bottom of the trailer. The scent discourages skunks, raccoons, squirrels, mice, etc from getting to close.

It would discourage me too! Be careful with that stuff.:doh:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The one negative I hear about Decon is the possibility of the mice dying inside a nook or cranny and stinking up the place.
With De-con, the poison is supposed to make them extremely thirsty, so the theory is that they will go outside in search of water and not die in your house / trailer / etc.

In my experience, that usually works well. But I have had one die under a cabinet once, and that was no fun!

Kurt

saf512

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we purchased our traller, we were told to place several fabric softener sheets throughout the traller to discourage rodents over the winter. We have never had a problem, plus when we open our traller in the summer, it smells great.
Sandra

riverside

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother-in-law told us to use Bounce fabric softener sheets. We didn't believe her so she bought us a box. We spread them out in our stored convertible over the winter and no mice! The year before we had just used the poison they made nests and died in there. Talk about an awful smell!