• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mountain Valley Lodge - Winning Bid $1?

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife was playing on e-bay a few weeks ago and placed an opening bid on a Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge for $1. I was surprised to learn she won the bidding. :doh: The question is, do we complete the transaction or do I send the seller a $1 and let them keep it? Here are the details:

Resort - - Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge, Breckenridge CO
Size - - Studio (sleeps 4)
Season: - Silver (weeks 15, 20-23, 39-43, 46-47)
Useage: - Annual
MF - - $798

If we do buy it we would use it to trade (hopefully into a 1 bedroom). My other thought is to buy it and donate it to charity and take a tax write off. My understanding is, if the claimed value is less than $5000 no apprasisal is necessary. What should we do (besides stop playing on E-bay)? :crash:

-TJ

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it for any price. My guess is you can rent this one on an II getaway week during this shoulder season for a lot less than the M&T's. I think TS's in highly seasonal ski resorts like this are worthless in the shoulder seasons, marginal in the summer, and very valuable in the ski season. I would only buy a ski season week here. To me the M&T's are way too high for a studio to make it a good trader. I think of a good trader as one that has low M&T's and has good trading value. Not sure this one would have good trading value since it's an off season studio.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. Regarding the tax write off, I believe since you are buying for $1, the deductable market value is $1. I'm sure Dave M could confirm or deny but if every $1 timeshare could be bought and then donated for a larger tax write off dont you think that the cheap timeshares would sell for more?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Back out if you can. If you send the $1 then you have agreed to have it trasferred to your name. They want rid of the TS not your $1. The auction is non binding. The seller may be mad, but that is their problem.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
The auction is non binding. The seller may be mad, but that is their problem.

Why is the auction non-binding. I would think technically the seller could force you into taking it or sue you for damages and win....Obviously not worth the sellers time but technically correct?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
At common law, contracts for the sale of real estate must be evidenced by a writing. Electronic auctions don't qualify (at least yet). EBay avoids sticking its neck into this legal quandary by the advance disclosure that its real estate auctions are not binding.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why is the auction non-binding. I would think technically the seller could force you into taking it or sue you for damages and win....Obviously not worth the sellers time but technically correct?

As much as the PCC companies on E-Bay will lead people to beleive in their adds. All real estate auctions on E-Bay are not binding.