• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Most convenient for Disney?

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a strange dynamic for sure that studios are so popular with DVC, when studios are the least popular units in basically every other timeshare system.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
It is a strange dynamic for sure that studios are so popular with DVC, when studios are the least popular units in basically every other timeshare system.
After following the DVC forums on DISboards for many years, my impression is that DVC buyers most often think of DVC as replacing their hotel room. In fact, the "Guides" (sales persons) often use "stay in a Deluxe studio for less than the cost of a Moderate hotel room!" as a slogan, and many potential purchasers, not to mention owners, use the comparison between the cost of a hotel room and the cost of DVC ownership to justify their purchase. So the idea is that you want DVC because it will save you money over paying for a hotel room every year for however long you own DVC.

OTOH, there are a few like my family, who had the good fortune to enjoy vacations in 2BR timeshare resorts with my parents before we bought our own. For us, the decision to buy DVC was because our family of 4 (including 2 kids who couldn't share a bed) had outgrown a hotel room with 2 queen beds and a single bathroom, and we wanted all the benefits of a 2BR timeshare villa with kitchen and laundry.

Then again, there's another recurrent statement on DISboards - "Be careful about staying in a 1BR, because you'll never want to go back to a studio and will have to buy more points!"

But it also comes down to how expensive DVC is to buy and to own (my parents did a tour once when staying at BWV with us, and they said the MFs were twice or more what they paid for their Marriott TS).

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
OTOH, there are a few like my family, who had the good fortune to enjoy vacations in 2BR timeshare resorts with my parents before we bought our own. For us, the decision to buy DVC was because our family of 4 (including 2 kids who couldn't share a bed) had outgrown a hotel room with 2 queen beds and a single bathroom, and we wanted all the benefits of a 2BR timeshare villa with kitchen and laundry.

Then again, there's another recurrent statement on DISboards - "Be careful about staying in a 1BR, because you'll never want to go back to a studio and will have to buy more points!"

Count me in on the OTOH group. SIL is a DVC owner and had thrown a surprise party down at disney for their Mom. She had been incredibly generous and had booked several studios @ OKW for family members - I had opted to use a PIN code discount and booked a 2 bedroom there…. Until that trip I had no idea what we had been missing out on I was done begging CM for adjoining hotel rooms, being able to make a FULL POT of real coffee and have some while still in my pajamas was amazing! By the end of the year we had our 1st contract - enough for a studio for a week seriously going backwards doesn’t work so I added resale. We may squish in a 1bedroom for some high point resorts but it’s gotta be something really special Aulani VGC ect

nkldavy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been members at Blue Tree (POA, not Westgate) and taking family and friends there since the late 90s. Yes, I understand it was an apartment complex built in the 1980s. No building more than three stories. If you don't have a washer or dryer in your unit, there are some on the property you may use. The 2-bedroom deluxe units all have them, plus a jacuzzi in the master bedroom suite, and a large screened-in porch with a table and chairs. The 2-bedroom executive units are smaller without the jacuzzi, a smaller porch with no table ... some have W/D and some don't. All the 2-bedroom units sleep 6. Their 1-bedroom units sleep 4. Sleeper sofas account for two of the allowed in all units. The POA is responsible for pools 1,2 and 4 which are all heated. Their maintenance fees are very reasonable. We were there from 18 March to 1 April with six units ... great family and friend times. You can rent directly from them if you wish. The couple above us was from Canada and stayed there for 13 weeks.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
May-June is going to be hot, humid and rainy. Don't plan on walking too far and too long without carrying an umbrella.

Plus traffic around Disney is horrendous. You might be able to walk, but it could be a hazard to your health trying to cross some of the roads around Disney.

heitmullerj02

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, HGVC Carlsbad
I own Vistana, the Fountains section is across the street with a gate you have to go thru. It has many pools and 2 restaurants on site. You can walk between the 2, very short walk.

jbroner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Great Smokey Mtn.
Wyndham Grand Dessert
Wyndham Club Access
Hilton 2br Platinum Sea World
Hilton 2br Grande Gold Elara
I would try for HGVC Tuscany Village if available your dates. Not too far to Disney via Lyft (has a deal with Disney - better drop locations), not sure about shuttles. You have Premium Outlets through a private gate. A few good restaurants (Ford's Garage, Outback, Cheesecake Factory) and lots of fast options a shortish walk, many more a short uber. Publix and Walgreens right across the street. Have never stayed here, but have an OGS for DD who is heading down in October as it is a great location.
I would agree. I have stayed at HGVC Tuscany numerous times and it is a great option based on your needs !!

Gwendyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoy both the HGVC Tuscany and HGVC Seaworld. We have always had a car, but often walk to Seaworld from the latter. There is a Lynx bus stop that runs from Seaworld to Disney Springs, if that would work for transportation.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been members at Blue Tree (POA, not Westgate) and taking family and friends there since the late 90s. Yes, I understand it was an apartment complex built in the 1980s. No building more than three stories. If you don't have a washer or dryer in your unit, there are some on the property you may use. The 2-bedroom deluxe units all have them, plus a jacuzzi in the master bedroom suite, and a large screened-in porch with a table and chairs. The 2-bedroom executive units are smaller without the jacuzzi, a smaller porch with no table ... some have W/D and some don't. All the 2-bedroom units sleep 6. Their 1-bedroom units sleep 4. Sleeper sofas account for two of the allowed in all units. The POA is responsible for pools 1,2 and 4 which are all heated. Their maintenance fees are very reasonable. We were there from 18 March to 1 April with six units ... great family and friend times. You can rent directly from them if you wish. The couple above us was from Canada and stayed there for 13 weeks.

Thanks so much - really appreciate more info about Blue Tree. I think it would work quite well for me!

May-June is going to be hot, humid and rainy. Don't plan on walking too far and too long without carrying an umbrella.

Plus traffic around Disney is horrendous. You might be able to walk, but it could be a hazard to your health trying to cross some of the roads around Disney.

Well, we have usually gone in late August/September so hopefully May/June won't be too much of a surprise. Like I said, I will use uber/lyft if necessary but really just want the option to walk to some restaurants/shops etc. and not be completely dependent on getting a ride. I am quite used to a lot of walking so it should be fine.

I would agree. I have stayed at HGVC Tuscany numerous times and it is a great option based on your needs !!

It does look nice and is tempting (and I just saw that the TPU have been reduced quite a lot). Don't like their extra-fee though so will have to think about it (also has a Sunday check-in but Saturday would be best for me).
We enjoy both the HGVC Tuscany and HGVC Seaworld. We have always had a car, but often walk to Seaworld from the latter. There is a Lynx bus stop that runs from Seaworld to Disney Springs, if that would work for transportation.

Could be an option as well. Definitely will have to make a decision soon. Good to know about the Lynx bus though!

Again, thank you to everyone for their recommendations, feedback, and ideas!

Inhislove

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
Vacation Villages has a shuttle 2x a day to Hollywood Studios and 2x a day back. You can walk to Starbucks, twistee treat (soft serve) Kobe steakhouse, subway, Nike outlet, and Tijuana flats, in addition to being close to a chick fil a and Publix (shuttle 2x a day to grocery too). $30/week resort fee

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
The shuttle at Vacation Village Parkway is included in the resort fee. It goes to Disney and Universal Studios only 1 or 2 times per day, but it is FREE (after you pay the $25-30 resort fee that also includes your internet). This shuttle also goes to Publix and "local stops" <--I don't know what these are, but I plan on using it! Or walking. There is a shuttle on property that brings you to the main gate if you are in a remote building.

I'm staying at VV-Parkway starting on Saturday, and am traveloing solo. I'm going to get a LYNX pass for a week and take the city bus. There are stops on 192 for buses 55 and 56. 56 goes to the Disney Transportation Center. $2 per bus ride. $4.50 for a day pass. I think that the week pass is about $16. I will be taking the bus/transit from MCO airport when I arrive (It's a long bus ride, but only $2 and I am not pressed for time). I will take the bus to AMTRAK the following Saturday to West Palm Beach Shores where I might rent a car, at least for the couple of days that I will be scuba diving. The AMTRAK ticket between Kissimee and West Palm Beach is only $28 and that is what sealed the deal for not getting a rental car.

The Brightline train will be servicing Orlando starting this summer. I used it to go from West Palm Beach Shores to the Fort Lauderdale Airport last year and it will be a welcome addition to public transportation in Central Florida.

Of course I might get weary of the walk to the 55 or 56 bus stops (about .5 mile) and chuck it and rent a car.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Brightline train will be servicing Orlando starting this summer. I used it to go from West Palm Beach Shores to the Fort Lauderdale Airport last year and it will be a welcome addition to public transportation in Central Florida.

Very interested in your experience with Brightline from FFL-

My son lives in west palm- and unfortunately, there are no nonstops or direct flights from my location, FFL on the other hand is reasonable and non-stop.

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very interested in your experience with Brightline from FFL-

My son lives in west palm- and unfortunately, there are no nonstops or direct flights from my location, FFL on the other hand is reasonable and non-stop.
The Brightline does go between West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale but it is downtown and I think $10 or more for a "Smart ticket" or a premium". It takes about 45 minutes. I'm looking forward to the Brightline serving Orlando this summer!
I took the Tri Rail, not the Brightline (as I looked it up to find the fare). The TriRail stop closest to West Palm Shores resort (Singer Island) is the Magnolia Park stop. There is a West Palm train station at the Bus Hub downtown, as well. If he can get you there (or if you can take a bus or car there), then it is easy to get to the Fort Lauderdale Airport. The Train stops right at the airport. It is supposed to cost $7.50, but the ticket machine didn't work when I went and they let me ride for free. It's a little more than an hour to travel. The train was not crowded and there is room for luggage. It was clean and the conductors were friendly. I had scuba gear with me in a big suitcase and it was not a problem.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Thanks, definitely don't want to rent a car though. I would like to have some stuff (restaurants, stores etc.) close enough to walk to. TPUs aren't a major concern as long as it isn't too high (i.e. up to low twenties is okay). It would just be nice to have to use less.
I would check car rentals through priceline or somewhere else anyway. When you add up the Uber/lyft fee to and from the airport plus any RT fares to the parks or any stores, it may be slightly more expensive or even the same amount to rent a car.

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would check car rentals through priceline or somewhere else anyway. When you add up the Uber/lyft fee to and from the airport plus any RT fares to the parks or any stores, it may be slightly more expensive or even the same amount to rent a car.
The parking fee of $20-25 or more per day at the parks makes the rental car option less appealing! I'm not the OP, but our situations are similar. I'm going to do public transportation and resort shuttles.

Getting a car at the airport is more than OFF the airport. I was looking at prices and it was over $300/week for an off-site small car. Then you add in gas and parking.