• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

More Flying Anxiety- This Time for Italy

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
You can have cheap(er) or easy(er) but not both. If you must have both then cancel.

No, that’s not how much we pay to travel to Europe but we are experienced, healthy, younger, and travel pretty light. We don’t mind longer trips and we have various lounge and hotel and airline memberships and statuses which soothe the journey.

For cheap: take a train to New Jersey. Stay overnight. Fly nonstop NYC to Rome (several carrier options). Stay overnight. Fly to Sicily. Reverse on way home.

For easy: pay up, get a good travel agent, and book lie flat business both ways. Enjoy. Life is short. This is your last hurrah to Europe.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never for personal travel. The problem with travel agents is that not all airlines/fares provide a juicy commission, and understandably they want to get paid for their work. So travel agents don't show you all availability and often the best fares.

If OP shared her dates I am sure the TUG sleuths could see what options there are.
I was actually thinking I would be up to the challenge -- my friends often ask for suggestions when booking travel. Years ago they would say: "You should be a travel agent." I'd say no, then it wouldn't be fun.

I was trying to remember the airport north of Boston that I flew into once when returning from Europe -- that 2 hour ride in a private car sounds crazy. (But then I live close to 3 International Airports.)

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can have cheap(er) or easy(er) but not both. If you must have both then cancel.

No, that’s not how much we pay to travel to Europe but we are experienced, healthy, younger, and travel pretty light. We don’t mind longer trips and we have various lounge and hotel and airline memberships and statuses which soothe the journey.

For cheap: take a train to New Jersey. Stay overnight. Fly nonstop NYC to Rome (several carrier options). Stay overnight. Fly to Sicily. Reverse on way home.

For easy: pay up, get a good travel agent, and book lie flat business both ways. Enjoy. Life is short. This is your last hurrah to Europe.
I love both of these suggestions.
I'd propose Cheap to get there -- even if it means adding an extra day.
Then, Easy to return home, when you're tired.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
One thing I do know is if we don’t go this year, we won’t ever go. Our patience for this kind of travel is just not there. We are not very experienced with fast paced airports or foreign countries and how everything works. That’s why we chose a tour for this trip. We are pushing ourselves to do this as it is. It would be only our second time in Europe. Our first to Scotland in 2012 was a nonstop to Edinburgh and we got in a car and drove to a resort for the week. Independent travel.

We’re older now and i have back issues and my husband has his issues. Our passports expire in 2026 and I doubt we will renew them. Only one stamp in them. lol!

It seems to me there's a market for "I've been doing this for my entire life, hire me and see Sicily on 'easy mode.'"

I'm not offering my services. But if I was younger and less retired, absolutely I would. This is a freakin' easy trip. I took my wife on a trip to Italy for our honeymoon (her first time). At the end of the trip, she said, "I want to do this again next year. But no other countries. Just Italy. I want to see ALL of Italy."

And so we did that. And again every few years until just before the pandemic. Italy specializes in "travel on E-Z mode." But the visitor has to actually book E-Z mode. Not, "we want what we want when we want it." In my opinion, it's the easiest country in Europe to visit -- even more so than England. Just don't force Italy to submit to your plans. Force your plans to submit to Italy. That's really all there is to it.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that using this (or any) travel agent to book your flights is looking to be counter-productive. Check out the routes that other tuggers have suggested. The internet is your friend, just search and search and search again and you will find something that works better for you.

An extra day or two on the way over might not only snag you a waaay better fare (I've seen hundreds of $$$ difference for the same flight on different days - or maybe a certain airline only flies a certain route 4 days a week), it will give you time to adjust to your new time zone so that you can start your big tour refreshed!

We NEVER book flights through a travel agent. If there is an issue with your flight being cancelled or delayed, then you MUST go through the travel agent to re-book. If you book directly with the airline (either on line or by phone) you can deal directly with them if there is an issue. Try getting in touch with a travel agent at midnight or on Christmas Day to rebook a cancelled/delayed flight - NOT. We've had do do both ourselves and it worked out just fine.

Stop stressing and start searching. You've got lots of time to do this, don't be held hostage by a travel agent.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I disagree. Ponder what's at the bottom of her posts:

"Life is either a daring adventure, or it's nothing" - Helen Keller
But read this thread and her previous trips thread.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
While not the least expensive option, some members of our family have been using Costco Travel for Europe. I haven't really thought too much about it.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree you should take this trip.
But first, Breath In....Breath Out.
Stop worrying over the price.
A few years from now, you won't even remember the $ spent.
Do whatever works best for you -- I would never consider a 6 hour layover.

Do I understand correctly that the insurance will only cover your flights if the Travel Agent books them?

I want to add that in the past 25 years of travel I have NEVER used a Travel Agent.

I'd be interested in a survey on the topic -- how many times in the past 25 years have you used a TA?
I have never used a travel agent until last year either.

No - the insurance I purchased was for the tour. I do not have the flights yet so I could not insure them yet.

And yes- I don’t want the 6 hour layover or the only one hour connection time going back.

That’s the problem I am speaking of. There are no other reasonable flights that coincide with this tour which is crazy.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree that using this (or any) travel agent to book your flights is looking to be counter-productive. Check out the routes that other tuggers have suggested. The internet is your friend, just search and search and search again and you will find something that works better for you.

An extra day or two on the way over might not only snag you a waaay better fare (I've seen hundreds of $$$ difference for the same flight on different days - or maybe a certain airline only flies a certain route 4 days a week), it will give you time to adjust to your new time zone so that you can start your big tour refreshed!

We NEVER book flights through a travel agent. If there is an issue with your flight being cancelled or delayed, then you MUST go through the travel agent to re-book. If you book directly with the airline (either on line or by phone) you can deal directly with them if there is an issue. Try getting in touch with a travel agent at midnight or on Christmas Day to rebook a cancelled/delayed flight - NOT. We've had do do both ourselves and it worked out just fine.

Stop stressing and start searching. You've got lots of time to do this, don't be held hostage by a travel agent.
We already did book the hotel coming into Catania a day early. Now we are trying to get a flight.

We used the agent for last years domestic tour and flight and it worked out fine. Took the pressure off me, who had a recent spine surgery, so no stress.

That’s the point of using an agent.

I booked a flight to Florida recently myself and I can’t tell you how hard it was to get reasonable times and connections and prices and honestly the flying still sucked with delays and having to change planes because of nearly missing a connection, etc.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It seems to me there's a market for "I've been doing this for my entire life, hire me and see Sicily on 'easy mode.'"

I'm not offering my services. But if I was younger and less retired, absolutely I would. This is a freakin' easy trip. I took my wife on a trip to Italy for our honeymoon (her first time). At the end of the trip, she said, "I want to do this again next year. But no other countries. Just Italy. I want to see ALL of Italy."

And so we did that. And again every few years until just before the pandemic. Italy specializes in "travel on E-Z mode." But the visitor has to actually book E-Z mode. Not, "we want what we want when we want it." In my opinion, it's the easiest country in Europe to visit -- even more so than England. Just don't force Italy to submit to your plans. Force your plans to submit to Italy. That's really all there is to it.
The flying part is not easy. The rest of the trip is. My dilemma is getting to Italy.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are supposed to fly out on 10/21 and return 11/5.

Interestingly my brother- who has been a world traveler especially on his career - was planning a trip to Munich from Florida and then trains around that region from there.

He just told me he might not be doing it since there are no nonstop flights. He refuses to do connections. I don’t blame him. That’s what I have said also.

(Luckily- unlike me, at least he can at least easily afford business class seats when he does fly.)

He told me with all the flying he’s done all his life he now hates it and he, too, actually gets anxiety when it comes time to deal with all the logistics.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Find a tour package that doesn’t require alterations to the schedule. I think you are not going to enjoy this trip all that much.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weighing in here -
I don't think your travel agent is working in your interests.

Also - the only way travel to Europe "easily" and somewhat quickly is with a direct flight. Your tour starts in Sicily. Are there EVER direct flights from the US to Sicily?

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Well, you can either choose to let yourself get worked up into a frenzy or take it one step at a time and see how it goes. For travel, I'd suggest the latter.

I honestly do not travel that much, not by car or plane. Or I haven't in the last few years but that's changing thanks to my recent retirement.

MaryAnn, did you see the other post about not trying to book international flights too early? It seems you have gotten more help here from Tuggers than your agent who did a swell job on your SD trip.

I took a tour group to France last summer. I was super eager to learn the flight details so I could book my flight from PHX to OHair. I think I only found out 60 days in advance but it all worked out great! I like flying Internationally! Aren't the seats bigger? The service is better. I like flying overnight to Europe. I can put on an eye mask and earplugs and sleep. I've trained myself to do that on any plane over the years. As a single mom, a plane or the dentist office might be the only time I had a chance to sit down and relax.

Really, really work on your attitude for your own mental health. And use the next 6 months to get yourself in as good as shape as possible. So sorry about your back issues, especially after reading years ago about your gym equipment at home. You seemed like you were always so health & fitness conscious. Get in as much PT and walking and weight training or whatever is suggested for you. Isn't there walking on the tour? So many in my group complained bitterly about the one time there were cobblestones. They overpacked and had monster suitcases. Our little tiny guide ended up carrying the luggage for these folks.

On the other hand, a 77-yo who was a part of my group in leaving for Manchu Picchu tomorrow. He walks a bunch at home and gardens and has no problem doing 20k steps walking and exploring Europe. And, our flight home in the back of coach was a breeze. I watched a bunch of movies I normally would not get to see. AA took care of me getting back to PHX. Trip could not have worked out better!

I've always done international with a carryon and you should, too! I did 16 days in Germany; 16 in China - easy peasy! You can do this! Focus on what you can control and let the rest go. It's a trip of a life time. Does Hubs still want to go? Because I thought that was the reason you are going.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well, you can either choose to let yourself get worked up into a frenzy or take it one step at a time and see how it goes. For travel, I'd suggest the latter.

I honestly do not travel that much, not by car or plane. Or I haven't in the last few years but that's changing thanks to my recent retirement.

MaryAnn, did you see the other post about not trying to book international flights too early? It seems you have gotten more help here from Tuggers than your agent who did a swell job on your SD trip.

I took a tour group to France last summer. I was super eager to learn the flight details so I could book my flight from PHX to OHair. I think I only found out 60 days in advance but it all worked out great! I like flying Internationally! Aren't the seats bigger? The service is better. I like flying overnight to Europe. I can put on an eye mask and earplugs and sleep. I've trained myself to do that on any plane over the years. As a single mom, a plane or the dentist office might be the only time I had a chance to sit down and relax.

Really, really work on your attitude for your own mental health. And use the next 6 months to get yourself in as good as shape as possible. So sorry about your back issues, especially after reading years ago about your gym equipment at home. You seemed like you were always so health & fitness conscious. Get in as much PT and walking and weight training or whatever is suggested for you. Isn't there walking on the tour? So many in my group complained bitterly about the one time there were cobblestones. They overpacked and had monster suitcases. Our little tiny guide ended up carrying the luggage for these folks.

On the other hand, a 77-yo who was a part of my group in leaving for Manchu Picchu tomorrow. He walks a bunch at home and gardens and has no problem doing 20k steps walking and exploring Europe. And, our flight home in the back of coach was a breeze. I watched a bunch of movies I normally would not get to see. AA took care of me getting back to PHX. Trip could not have worked out better!

I've always done international with a carryon and you should, too! I did 16 days in Germany; 16 in China - easy peasy! You can do this! Focus on what you can control and let the rest go. It's a trip of a life time. Does Hubs still want to go? Because I thought that was the reason you are going.
I walk and exercise an hour and a half at least 4-5 days. I’m no slug. And I don’t need a lecture on health. I was a wellness director once in my working days. It’s great other people don’t have degenerative spine conditions, but I do. But I can walk an hour on hills here in NH where nothing is fiat. I clean my house with difficulty but I do it. Then I’m exhausted and have to sit or lay down. Being like this is new to me and I don’t like it but I press on.

Also - was surprised the travel agent was already looking to book a flight because I thought it seemed early. But what do I know?

My only issue is the layover and connection. Yeah - I know there are no nonstop flights to Catania from the USA.

Yes my husband wants to go but does not like the 6 hour layover at all.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Weighing in here -
I don't think your travel agent is working in your interests.

Also - the only way travel to Europe "easily" and somewhat quickly is with a direct flight. Your tour starts in Sicily. Are there EVER direct flights from the US to Sicily?
I guess in my mind I assumed we’d be flying into Rome and connecting to Sicily. Silly me for thinking such a thing. Lol!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Is there a specific amount of layover time that you are looking for? Because if it's short you'll be worried about that and some of these airports are huge.
Well one going home is only an hour. I would want at least 2 hours. I can deal with 3.

But going to Italy it’s a 6 hour layover which is nuts!

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
Check out expedia. I just found multiple choices from Manchester to Catania using your dates ~ lots of choices. Average price was $2K for 2 people.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out expedia. I just found multiple choices from Manchester to Catania using your dates ~ lots of choices. Average price was $2K for 2 people.

Yeah … I couldn’t stop myself and also did some poking around & found quite a few options.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well one going home is only an hour. I would want at least 2 hours. I can deal with 3.

But going to Italy it’s a 6 hour layover which is nuts!
These are some pretty specific parameters. I would consider getting myself to Europe w/one carrier then using a regional carrier to get to Sicily.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Per Google Flights, this is likely her departure:
8:05 PM (BOS) - 9:30 AM+1 (MUC)
- 6 hr 5 min layover Munich (MUC) -
3:35 PM+1 (MUC) - 5:45 PM+1 (CTA)

This seems to be about the best there is. There is one on Swiss Air with a 6H layover in Zurich. But there are two layovers returning, about 1H each. All others look involve multiple airlines or more $$. Manchester, NH, departures involve two stops.

For the Return: Ask TA to build in a 1-night stopover on the way home. That's what we did when returning from Athens. We took a cheap regional airline to Frankfurt and spent the night at the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton. Having an overnight layover was quite restful.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
How about a lounge or a napcab. In Munich.

Should help with the layover issue. Building in a time buffer on a big expensive trip is a good Idea.
Yes. Thanks. An option. The travel agent suggested that.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Per Google Flights, this is likely her departure:
8:05 PM (BOS) - 9:30 AM+1 (MUC)
- 6 hr 5 min layover Munich (MUC) -
3:35 PM+1 (MUC) - 5:45 PM+1 (CTA)

This seems to be about the best there is. There is one on Swiss Air with a 6H layover in Zurich. But there are two layovers returning, about 1H each. All others look involve multiple airlines or more $$. Manchester, NH, departures involve two stops.

For the Return: Ask TA to build in a 1-night stopover on the way home. That's what we did when returning from Athens. We took a cheap regional airline to Frankfurt and spent the night at the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton. Having an overnight layover was quite restful.
Yup. See. That’s what I am saying and the travel agent is saying. Not a lot of options.

As for the return flight I’m only concerned about just a one hour connection time.

I also am wondering if we should wait to see if other flights become available?