• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Moldy interval trade in Kauai, options?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We arrived in Kauai last night and traded into a 1 bedroom at Pono Kai. The resort is actually nice but our unit is unrennovated, older and would be ok except for the musty strong odor , seems to be the rug. They did bring us a room purifier for the bedroom but woke up with a buring throat and congestion. There are no rooms to relocate us. They suggested we ask interval to move us somewhere else but it's Sunday and I've never heard of that being an option. Front desk didn't seem surprised, even concured it was the carpet. Most units are renovated, but they have a few buildings still pending. Do we have any recource?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Ugh, sorry to hear. I hope Interval can do something for you.
If you can't get in contact with Interval (via phone or email), perhaps try to get a room for the night until Monday.

If you have StarOptions, there's availability at the Sheraton/Westin on Kauai. If not, the MVC discount is available at a few resorts however nightly rates are high. If you can get by with a hotel room, then you might want to shop around.

1691350784158.png

1691351257895.png

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone. We will call interval tomorrow and just use the room to sleep with open windows and air purifier. Unfortunately we used borrowed star options earlier this summer to stay in Maui so that's out. It's too bad as the renovated rooms here and the resort itself is nice.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Resolution: The resort called us this afternoon and found us an oceanfront renovated unit, night and day from the original unit. Someone checked out early. We are sitting on our lanai , listening to the waves, and having happy hr! Life is good!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Resolution: The resort called us this afternoon and found us an oceanfront renovated unit, night and day from the original unit. Someone checked out early. We are sitting on our lanai , listening to the waves, and having happy hr! Life is good!
What a perfect solution. Glad that it turned out so well!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Gotta love the views at the Pono Kai. We have owned there over 12 years now. I think just about all the Pono Kai Owners Association units have been renovated now. There are a few other owners associations there and they started their Renovations later.

Enjoy, I am waving from our lanai on Molokai. shaka

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To the OP, that was a great resolution and customer service by the resort.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Yes, we are so grateful. One of the front desk staff took us under her wing and made it happen. We plan to get her a gift certificate to thank her before we leave.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

If I have to sleep someplace like that, that's three days of agony, starting about four hours after I'm exposed to the mold.

Unacceptable. I'd be demanding my points back -- at least x/7 for every day you were stuck in a moldy room.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a good place to start in a situation like that is to request the hotel to arrange for you to see a doctor, ask them to bring in a mold expert and to request them to open an incident report, making them aware that the express reason for this is to document your exposure to hazardous conditions in their hotel.

StaceyM

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that polite persistence gave a great solution this time.

I'd save the "documentation for the purposes of a lawsuit" threat as a final attempt before paying for my own room somewhere else. I agree it's a valid technique to preserve the option to file the expense with travel insurance and/or sue in small claims court to recover the damages.

Question for those of you have allergy reactions to mold... is this the kind of thing that can be resolved by requesting they treat the room with an ozone machine? Obviously there is something growing in the room, but how fast do the allergens "come back" if they are treated? (assuming they actually go away...)

Last edited:

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that polite persistence gave a great solution this time.

I'd save the "documentation for the purposes of a lawsuit" threat as a final attempt before paying for my own room somewhere else. I agree it's a valid technique to preserve the option to file the expense with travel insurance and/or sue in small claims court to recover the damages.

Question for those of you have allergy reactions to mold... is this the kind of thing that can be resolved by requesting they treat the room with an ozone machine? Obviously there is something growing in the room, but how fast do the allergens "come back" if they are treated? (assuming they actually go away...)
Agreed, it’s the last option after polite requests yield nothing. However in this case when told there are no options and no rooms available, I would go there quickly because you ha so e. I choices. There is a way to go there politely and gently.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Gotta love the views at the Pono Kai. We have owned there over 12 years now. I think just about all the Pono Kai Owners Association units have been renovated now. There are a few other owners associations there and they started their Renovations later.

Enjoy, I am waving from our lanai on Molokai. shaka
I’m interested in learning more about Pono Kai. Are the VI, Bluegreen and Shell part of PKIOA? Is PTFSOA independent?
Do The brands in PKIOA have different units that are renovated differently? Who handles maintenance, housekeeping and check-in at PKIOA and PTFSOA?

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
The resort shouldn’t let anyone use that unit, until it’s renovated. I’m happy you were able to move and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay. I wonder, if you didn’t complain, would they feel putting you in there was acceptable? At least replace the smelly rug?