• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Modernism week in Palm Springs

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Who has attended and what advice do you have for me? We have tickets for various tours already. Are there other FREE things we should look into? What about restaurants? Do we need reservations in advance?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We attended the winter Modernism Week in I think February 2017 (pre-retirement, so a business expense). Be prepared that you could have hot days and be sure to have a hat if you do the double decker bus tour (we were WARM at 85 degrees and so glad we weren’t on the bus the next day when it was over 90). No trip to Palm Springs is complete without a meal (or two) at Sherman’s Deli. I don’t know about reservations at “fancy” restaurants, but they do at least two Modernism weeks each year and of course winter is “high season” anyway, so it wouldn’t hurt to make them in advance if you have somewhere special you want to eat. If you want to tour Sunnylands, be aware tickets for tours of the Annenberg estate are available on the 15th of the previous month and sell out very quickly. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there are already Modernism events scheduled there so possibly access is not possible that week. I was ready to redecorate in hot pink, line green and bright yellow after the tour, it was well worth the price.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We attended the winter Modernism Week in I think February 2017 (pre-retirement, so a business expense). Be prepared that you could have hot days and be sure to have a hat if you do the double decker bus tour (we were WARM at 85 degrees and so glad we weren’t on the bus the next day when it was over 90). No trip to Palm Springs is complete without a meal (or two) at Sherman’s Deli. I don’t know about reservations at “fancy” restaurants, but they do at least two Modernism weeks each year and of course winter is “high season” anyway, so it wouldn’t hurt to make them in advance if you have somewhere special you want to eat. If you want to tour Sunnylands, be aware tickets for tours of the Annenberg estate are available on the 15th of the previous month and sell out very quickly. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there are already Modernism events scheduled there so possibly access is not possible that week. I was ready to redecorate in hot pink, line green and bright yellow after the tour, it was well worth the price.
It's funny you mention Sunnylands. We had tickets for it but cancelled because we were told it is super boring. LOL! We will check out Sherman's Deli. Thanks!

ambere

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk/Hyatt
Palm Springs Tennis Club (2-bedroom Wimbledon) - 2 units
Lagonita Lodge (4 units: Christmas week, New Year's Week, 2-bdrm Lakefront, 3-bdrm Bear Peak)
It's always good to have reservations in advance there now. We have two weeks at Palm Springs Tennis Club, so go often. My current favorites:

FARM and Front Porch at FARM - right in heart of Palm Springs - great for breakfast/brunch/lunch (no reservations)
Marlin Bar at Tommy Bahama - great happy hour daily, casual but tasty food and drinks.
Tac/Quila - upscale Mexican, same owners as FARM
Koffi - beautiful courtyard w/ mountain views for coffee - the 515 N. Palm Canyon location
Azucar at La Serena Villas - by rootop pool; beautiful and great food.
Jake's - right on N. Palm Canyon Drive; great food and cocktails
Boozehounds - great happy hour, brunch, and cool setting.

Pricey, but always really nice:
Le Vallauris - especially on the back patio under a huge light-covered tree
Copley's - Cary Grant's old house from 1940s; beautiful patio w/ gorgeous mountain views

Have a great trip!

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's always good to have reservations in advance there now. We have two weeks at Palm Springs Tennis Club, so go often. My current favorites:

FARM and Front Porch at FARM - right in heart of Palm Springs - great for breakfast/brunch/lunch (no reservations)
Marlin Bar at Tommy Bahama - great happy hour daily, casual but tasty food and drinks.
Tac/Quila - upscale Mexican, same owners as FARM
Koffi - beautiful courtyard w/ mountain views for coffee - the 515 N. Palm Canyon location
Azucar at La Serena Villas - by rootop pool; beautiful and great food.
Jake's - right on N. Palm Canyon Drive; great food and cocktails
Boozehounds - great happy hour, brunch, and cool setting.

Pricey, but always really nice:
Le Vallauris - especially on the back patio under a huge light-covered tree
Copley's - Cary Grant's old house from 1940s; beautiful patio w/ gorgeous mountain views

Have a great trip!
Thank you! We will check these out.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Impossible to get a taxi or uber!

lynne1956

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Who has attended and what advice do you have for me? We have tickets for various tours already. Are there other FREE things we should look into? What about restaurants? Do we need reservations in advance?
There were a lot of real estate open houses when we were there, which was very interesting & a good way to explore the various neighborhood.

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm Springs Tennis Club (3)
HiltonLake Tahoe Vacation Resort
Impossible to get a taxi or uber!
I come to Palm Springs often and in fact I am here now. I typically have no problem getting an Uber or Lyft. We never rent a car so we use them frequently.

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm Springs Tennis Club (3)
HiltonLake Tahoe Vacation Resort
Restaurant reservations are highly recommended during the busy season.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 for Sherman's Deli and Tommy Bahama. Also check out Papa Dan's for casual Italian. And for casual Mexican, Las Casuelas Terraza (Palm Springs - usually busy) or Las Casuelas Nuevas (Rancho Mirage - usually less crowded, same menu as its PS sister restaurant).

Last edited:

ambere

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk/Hyatt
Palm Springs Tennis Club (2-bedroom Wimbledon) - 2 units
Lagonita Lodge (4 units: Christmas week, New Year's Week, 2-bdrm Lakefront, 3-bdrm Bear Peak)
We've never had problems catching Uber/Lyft either