• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MGV Points Frustrations

cgartly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fell behind on my maintenance fee's, due to some financial difficulty and was going to just let them revoke my ownership. Things turned around a bit financially and I felt guilty for not meeting my obligations so I phoned and caught everything up to date.

Was looking at booking a vacation this summer in Cancun Resort in Vegas which will cost me 155 points for a 2br or 133 points for a 1br. My cost per point in maintenance fee's is approx 8.60.

So it costs me $1143 for a 1br week and $1333 for a 2br week.

I just jumped on Expedia and can book a 1br for 841.04 CDN or a 2br for 1131.14.

I find it very frustrating that the general public can book weeks at my resort for less money than it costs me in maintenance fee's.

Has anyone ever expressed this to Monarch?

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, and I FEEL your pain. :annoyed: Unfortunately that's one of those realizations that, as maintenance fees continue to increase, more and more people are questioning WHY did I buy a timeshare? If nothing else, I guess those MF at least make you SAVE for a vacation-something some people find hard to do!! :(

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
With the down economy, this is more the rule than the exception. I just try to keep in mind that when the economy rebounds renting probably won't be any less expensive than owning and, renting often gets what's left over vs being an owners and having the right to reserve the week I want/need.

You might also keep in mind that some of those rentals are from your own HOA, which now has foreclosed weeks they either need to rent or sell. If they can't sell them, they need to rent them for whatever they can get. If they get $800 for the week, keep in mind that's $800 in expenses that won't be passed along to the owners in the form of bad debt expense. The more weeks an HOA owns (thru foreclosure) the more lost revenue (through lost MF's) are past along to current owners. So in a way, they may be saving current owners money and helping keep the books balanced all at the same time.

When the economy turns around this may not be nearly as big of an issue. This, of course, assumes the economy will rebound.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not sure which forum to ask this - for a friend - do MGV points have value? They said they had 177pts. Not sure what they pay annually for these - something like $1100 (???)

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure which forum to ask this - for a friend - do MGV points have value? They said they had 177pts. Not sure what they pay annually for these - something like $1100 (???)

There are often accounts in the bargain basement here listing them for little or no money. EBay auctions often go with no bids, even with closing and transfer fees being paid by the seller. Monarch Grand Vacations is about ready to be closed to new owners, or possibly already is closed, due to Diamond Resorts forcing the developer into bankruptcy and buying the unsold property.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There are often accounts in the bargain basement here listing them for little or no money. EBay auctions often go with no bids, even with closing and transfer fees being paid by the seller. Monarch Grand Vacations is about ready to be closed to new owners, or possibly already is closed, due to Diamond Resorts forcing the developer into bankruptcy and buying the unsold property.

Thanks - I figured as much - but thought I would check.
I am not sure I understand the impact of Diamond Resorts on MGV - I have to assume this is bad news for holders of MGV points (???). But if you could summarize then I can attempt to explain it to my friend (who feels like walking away from paying the annual fees on her MGV points). I do not know how to advise her on this - I assume like other situations - that this could have a negative impact on her credit rating (not sure she cares since she is retired and has no plans on buying a home, etc in her future)

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I figured as much - but thought I would check.
I am not sure I understand the impact of Diamond Resorts on MGV - I have to assume this is bad news for holders of MGV points (???). But if you could summarize then I can attempt to explain it to my friend (who feels like walking away from paying the annual fees on her MGV points). I do not know how to advise her on this - I assume like other situations - that this could have a negative impact on her credit rating (not sure she cares since she is retired and has no plans on buying a home, etc in her future)

DRI is now the developer/manager of the MGV resorts. The salesman we spoke to sated that all of the CA resorts will be refurbished due to their poor condition.
She may be able to give the account away on TUG, but with mf's increasing at about 10% per year the past 2 years, it may be tough.

cgartly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is fantastic that the HOA is offering the weeks that owners have defaulted on or excess inventory to help keep our maintenance costs at bay but why not offer existing owners similar deals to eat up the inventory? Why not be more open about it? I would stay more or take an additional room to bring family with if they were giving a deal.