• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexican Timeshare Presentation Investigative news story (TUG mentioned)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am not in the least bit surprised. I wonder if this is the same couple that posted on TUG about being drugged?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks for the heads up, will check it out. Call Curtis on your side is a popular feature on 13 here.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ha..thanks! I wish it grew as well on the top of my head as it does on my face =)

I am pleased that these folks were able to get out of their contract (albeit 17months later) that they legally rescinded in the first place.

Curtis was a pleasure to speak to and was genuinely shocked a number of times during our lengthy discussions. I thought it was a great piece!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
What a great story! So nice to see Brian on there, too.

Also, I learned the proper pronunciation of PROFECO. It is Pro-feck-o with the emphasis on the second syllable. I always thought it was Pro-fee-ko with the emphasis on the first syllable.

I am going to put a link to that tv report in the sticky thread about Mexican timeshare presentation bootcamp as well as the right of rescission thread.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had always thought it was proFEEco as well....

good call on making it a sticky...ill go do that.

(edit, im slow...karen already took care of adding it!)

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Brian--- I would like you to "reconsider" the movement of my post. This information is "valuable" to the TUG Member reviewing posts @ "Timeshares in Mexico" and would not always be read under "Sacramento Area Members" in Buying, Selling, Renting. The CBS TV13 that I saw last night while in Sacramento was very informative and would benefit all TUG members to view... as it could happen anywhere. Thxxx, gvic

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hello Brian--- I would like you to "reconsider" the movement of my post. This information is "valuable" to the TUG Member reviewing posts @ "Timeshares in Mexico" and would not always be read under "Sacramento Area Members" in Buying, Selling, Renting. The CBS TV13 that I saw last night while in Sacramento was very informative and would benefit all TUG members to view... as it could happen anywhere. Thxxx, gvic

Per post #8, Karen made a sticky at the top of the Mexico forum.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I went ahead and changed the title of this thread to more accurately reflect the subject matter, and itll be in an upcoming newsletter...so plenty of folks will see it =)

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be smarty or anything, but in my mind I always pronounced it pro-FECK'-o. Guess it is because I speak Spanish goodly (yep, that much) :)

Elena, aka Fern

What a great story! So nice to see Brian on there, too.

Also, I learned the proper pronunciation of PROFECO. It is Pro-feck-o with the emphasis on the second syllable. I always thought it was Pro-fee-ko with the emphasis on the first syllable.

I am going to put a link to that tv report in the sticky thread about Mexican timeshare presentation bootcamp as well as the right of rescission thread.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be smarty or anything, but in my mind I always pronounced it pro-FECK'-o. Guess it is because I speak Spanish goodly (yep, that much) :)

Elena, aka Fern

In my mind, I've always pronounced it proh-FAY'-coe, because "e" in Spanish is like a long "a" in English. And words that end in a vowel typically have the stress on the penultimate syllable.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pro-FEE-co, Pro-feck-o, Pro-FAY-co, mox nix. They'll know what you mean. Fwiw, I say Pro-feck-o. And Gracias, not the Spanish grathias.

bothellbill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pronunciation of gracias

My understanding is that Catalans, those from the Barcelona areas of Spain use that "th" sound instead of the "cee" sound. So that Barcelona would come out as bar-tha-Lona. Not sure if we are talking about the same issue just tossing in my dos pesos.

humor_monger

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that Catalans, those from the Barcelona areas of Spain use that "th" sound instead of the "cee" sound. So that Barcelona would come out as bar-tha-Lona. Not sure if we are talking about the same issue just tossing in my dos pesos.

As did my high school Spanish teacher from Chile oh so many decades ago.

zinger1457

Reaction score
The one part of the story I have a hard time buying into is the drugged part. Unless there's a new drug that came out that I haven't heard of that forces one to sign bad timeshare contracts.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The one part of the story I have a hard time buying into is the drugged part. Unless there's a new drug that came out that I haven't heard of that forces one to sign bad timeshare contracts.

I was thinking the same thing. i can't even believe the couple would stay that long and drink and so forth.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rohypnol

I am not in the least bit surprised. I wonder if this is the same couple that posted on TUG about being drugged?

My brother got stung in one of these Mexican timeshare deals over a decade ago. He swears they were drugged and the symptoms were similar to those of Rohypnol, also known as roofies or the date-rape drug.

I don't think he got off free, either, but he did get out of the deal.

taffy19

Reaction score
During our very last sales presentation in Puerto Vallarta several years ago, we said no more. I don't even remember the name of the outfit now and wonder if they ever completed building it but they offered us a drink in one of the condo models.

He poured a drink out and I could smell the liquor from far away so it would have been a very strong drink and I knew that my husband wouldn't accept and I knew better not to accept either as I have read some of the stories here on TUG.

I asked for a bottle of Ciel (a make of water) and they had no option but to bring us that and the top was closed so we felt safe to drink it and we were sober enough not to buy and not to take anymore tours in Mexico ever. I know that it wasn't Vallarta Gardens that was cautioned about here also.

We are "dirt" now on TUG ;) so they hardly ask us anymore which makes it easy not to stray for a sizable amount of money. We heard six hundred dollars! last year but it may have been 6,000 Mexican Pesos instead as figures go in one ear and out the other.

PS. I just looked at the movie so they are not the only one that offers drinks as we were offered too but it wasn't here either. It was overlooking the ocean and it was quite far from Puerto Vallarta but I have never seen any other comments about it. Maybe, they were stopped from proceeding or ran out of money completely?

PPS. We still did an update at our timeshare we own at the Buganvilias. It was not a hard sell at all and the salesman and sales manager were both professional too.

Last edited: