• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexican Peso

flamingo34

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was in Mexico last March the exchange rate was about 10 to 1.
I see in the papers that the rate is now over 13 to 1. I wonder if this has made
traveling in Mexico any cheaper or did they just raise prices to make up the difference? I own at PB Mazatlan and PB Emerald Bay. Anyone that has been down there recently I would appreciate your views.

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
No difference in Acapulco

We just got back from Acapulco. The rate was around 13.3-13.5. For once, the front desk was competitive @ 12.9. Where we went, they hadn't raised prices. I could tell a difference when I checked out.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
When we were in Puerto Vallarta in late November, the menus were all still the printed ones that looked quite used. Therefore, we assumed that the prices had not been raised. We felt that we got great "bang for the buck".

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mexico is having some serious financial trouble, due to the world economic crisis. Plus the crash in crude oil prices per barrel hit their #1 export. The cash that used to come in from Mex workers living in US and elsewhere is also drying up. Tourism is way down too. So...expect that the peso will continue to suffer when exchanged with dollars. In the last two weeks, some Mex banks will no longer exchange dollars for pesos. Strict tracking measures were in effect starting when the peso began tanking, but these measures have been expanded; now only certain banks will be allowed limited exchange of dollars for pesos and they will expand the requirement to show a passport when changing much more limited amounts of dollars. What this means for tourists...cheaper prices when going to Mexico. Please tip generously, preferably in dollar bills, not pesos...because most waiters, maids and other service providers earn no more than 70 pesos per day.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Please tip generously, preferably in dollar bills, not pesos...because most waiters, maids and other service providers earn no more than 70 pesos per day.

I totally agree with this. We always take about $100 in $1 bills to use for tips when we go to Mexico on vacation. I leave tips on the unmade bed each day for the housekeeper so that I know that she actually gets the tip. We used to leave our weekly tip when we left, but sometimes it was a different housekeeper on the last day. We also tip the waiters at the pool with $ bills. I like to tip for service rendered, not just into the "tip pool" that the resort divides amongst the staff when tips are added to the ticket.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question

Why use $1 bills instead of Pesos?
We normally tip a good maid that does the dishes, etc 50 pesos a day.
Most wait staff 20% ( provided they took good care of us)
Is there some reason to use US currency that I am missing?

Thanks,

Greg

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
....... and they will expand the requirement to show a passport when changing much more limited amounts of dollars.

They've required a passport for a few years now when going to a bank. I still use my ATM card for the best bang for my bucks.

....... Please tip generously, preferably in dollar bills, not pesos...because most waiters, maids and other service providers earn no more than 70 pesos per day.

Please do this. Last week, sometimes were leaving even 20% for some of the waiters who did a really, really excellent job.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
It really does not make a big difference if you tip the same basic amount whether pesos or $1 bills. We just take the $1 bills so that we know that we have tip money for each day before we leave home. Then we do not have to make sure that we have pesos in the amount that we need. We generally get our pesos from ATM machines and these are in larger bills. The $1's work well for us and are convenient. We generally leave $3-$5 depending on the size of the unit and the service. I don't leave as much when we are in a hotel unit or studio as I so when we have a 2-bedroom unit.