• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Methods to stop hives from itching

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
Daughter came home from a friends house covered in hives. Apparently, she wore someone else's clothes, so I am thinking it came from touching a different detergent. I gave her benedryl. But she is so itchy, she's making me itch.

Thanks.
Lisa

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
It could be from any number of things. My daughter has idiopathic urticaria. She is on a number of meds for it but resorts to benedryl for the flare ups. If this is the first time your daughter has experienced this, you may want to get her to a doctor to make sure it isn't something more serious. If she has trouble breathing, call 911 ASAP.

robcrusoe

Banned
Reaction score
Out here we call our pharmacist or our Doctor
too important to ask amateurs on a community BBS :doh:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just texted my DD. She said oatmeal lotion and distraction. She also carries an epi pen.

This could also be a viral illness or any number of things. If the benedryl is not working, get to a doctor. This could be the first sign of something life threatening.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Out here we call our pharmacist or our Doctor
too important to ask amateurs on a community BBS :doh:

Some of us "amateurs" are doctors or pharmacists or nurse practitioners or physician assistants!

If your daughter has not had hives before, these may not be hives... They could be reactions to bites or an infection. If these do not clear up with common sense treatments such as bathing to remove any offending agents, benadryl for itch control, oatmeal lotion or steriod ointment for symptom control, your daughter should see her medical provider. IF she is having shortness of breath, lip or tongue swelling, she should call 911.

Good luck! Often finding the root of a dermatological condition can be very frustrating. Let us know how this turns out.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The benedryl seems to be working. They are fading. I knew that she wore someone else's clothes, but I didn't know she still had them on. She said that the girl said they were washed in "Dawn". I never heard of laundry detergent by that name. I know the "Dawn" that you use to hand wash dishes. Hopefully it is something as simple as this. I'll be keeping an eye on her throughout the night.

Lisa

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously, get her out of the borrowed clothes. Get her into a shower with her usual soap, etc. A maximum adult dose of Benedryl- or perhaps double (the prescription strength before it went OTC) and watch her. If eyeballs or tongue swell- usually caused by mucus membrane trying to flush the irritant away- you might want to consider getting her to the ER.

Unforeseen allergic attacks are scary! I developed one for crab after being able to eat anything for decades. Eyes swelled shut, tongue lolled out. It was a lovely sight til the Benedryl kicked in.

Jim

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Benadryl and Zyrtec for about a week. If they don't go away and it's because of some sort of contact with an allergen, she will probably need a steroid cream too...

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many times hives are idiopathic (no known reason)

I get them some times and my son also. His are usually when he is exposed to too much real cold weather (sledding, etc.). I get mine when my stomach is upset or right after the stomach flu.

Hives are caused by too much histimine. Take an antihistimine (benadryl). My doctor once told me that you can take several claratin if necessary and you won't overdose on them. One or two usually do the trick for me.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
She still had a few this morning. The doctor put her on a steriod for 5 days. She is doing a lot better this evening.

Thanks everyone!

Lisa

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
temporary itch relief

The steroid will do its work over the course of a couple days.

Meanwhile, I have found that menthol is the best anti itch topical ingredient while you are waiting for the benadryl or steroids to do their thing. I can get some bad itching from any number of allergic skin reactions, including poison ivy, and menthol seems to cut it pretty good. It immediately stops the sensation, and typically will last for quite a while before another application is needed.

Several of the arthritis rubs (Bengay, etc) have menthol in varying conentrations and they have helped me when I felt like scratching my skin off! Just look at the ingredients and get the one with only menthol and not the methyl salicylate which stinks!

Norma