• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Message from President Aruba Ocean Club HOA

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Message from the Board President
August 2008
Dear Marriott’s Aruba Ocean Club Owners,
I would like to take this opportunity to give you an update on what is happening at the Ocean Club. Our new dedicated General Manager - Corey Guest is now on board. Below is a short letter of introduction from Corey.

I have been with Marriott for over four years in the role of Director of Human Resources for the company’s properties in Aruba, however, prior to that I have worked with Hyatt and Wyndham Hotels as well as PepsiCo. I am often asked where I am from and the first reaction is to say Houston, Texas where I spent much of my youth; for most of the past 18 years though I have been living on our One Happy Island Aruba. I believe that the deep understanding of the Aruba culture and traditions is critical; this, coupled with my extensive experience in Human Resources, will assist me greatly in this new role by ensuring that long-lasting, solid and trusting relationships are developed with all our Owners and associates with the one goal in mind of providing you with an unforgettable vacation experience.
My fundamental goal is to provide all our Owners and guests with the ultimate vacation! I will commit to you that I will be visible around the resort property as that is the best way to gain new ideas on how to continue to improve services. I believe we all have this same goal and I am confident that we will keep moving forward to excellence.
Thanks again and I look forward to you visiting with us here in Aruba soon -
Sincerely, Corey

I urge you to introduce yourself to Corey during your visit. I am very pleased to see that we have a person of Corey's talent dedicated to the Aruba Ocean Club and look forward to his success.

The Pool resurfacing and reinforcement of the surrounding rock structure is on schedule for September and we will keep you updated on our web site www.arubaoceanclub.com . The pool is expected to be closed from August 30 through September 28, 2008 to complete this work and our Owners and guests will be able to use the pool at the Hotel during that period.

The Roof repair has been ongoing and with all the material now on site, work will commence the beginning of August. This project to expected to take several months but should be completed by the Christmas holidays. The Board is working with our Management team and contractor to do everything possible to avoid any disturbance and inconvenience to those of you visiting during this time period. The Board has retained their own consultant to do a water damage and environmental study within the building to insure that everything is fine.

Structural Repairs - On July 27, 2008, the Board received a Structural Report from a Consulting Engineer hired by our Management Company who upon a visual survey of the Aruba Ocean Club on April 15-17, 2008 found that "water intrusion at the roof of all areas appears to migrate under the roof membrane and exit at various openings throughout the structure."... "The roof membrane should be replaced and properly maintained". This is what we are under contract to do now. The report continues and states: "Steel channels, beans and flat connector plates in several areas have "corrosion" "The members, however do not appear to be structurally inadequate." In summary, the consultant report states “the steel corrosion deficiencies noted above appear to be primarily the result of extended exposure to the environment and failure to correct roof leak problems."... “In general the structural steel frame does not appear to have any major structural deficiencies. As noted in my visual observations, there are specific deficiencies noted that require attention and if left unattended could affect the future structural integrity of some of the steel members over time.” I have been informed that to clean and repaint the steel structure with a new anti-corrosive paint, although extensive, is fairly easy to repair; the Board is
reviewing the process with our Management team the report and will take immediate action to address these issues.

The window replacement is almost complete with over 475 window panes being replaced. This has moved along with speed and little interruption to our Owners and guests. We will have a complete report for our annual meeting on any remaining window needs and the warranty on them.

Additional major projects underway include the replacement of exterior doors for safety, air-conditioning for the room corridors and installation of the heat wheel on the roof that should help reduce rising costs of utilities.

Villa refurbishment is still with Marriott's design team for costing and recommendations. Within the next few months we will have a better idea on the detailed costs and begin to prepare our budget for this.

2009/2010 Assessment - our estimates remain the same at this time and we’ll provide you with more definitive numbers once we have them. As stated before, our projection for a one-bedroom will be in the $500-$600 range and the two-bedroom in the $700-$800 range for 2009 and 2010. We will be using the same formula that we use for our Maintenance fees. Since we do not have final figures, I cannot be more specific. We will keep them as low as possible, but want to insure that our refurbishment is paid for and that we have adequate reserves for all immediate repair needs and those that might occur in the future.

The Board of Directors is seeking Owners with Accounting or Finance backgrounds who would like to volunteer on a Finance Committee to assist in the oversight of the financial operations and reserve fund planning of the Aruba Ocean Club. The Finance Committee will consist of 2-4 members and will meet mostly via conference call and possibly a reimbursable trip as needed. If you feel that you can be of assistance to this committee on behalf of all the Owners, please forward your letter of interest and credentials to me at c20854@aol.com no later than September 30.

One of our very generous Owners has donated their 2 bedroom Gold - Garden view Surf Club villa to the Association. It is posted on our web site for sale. All proceeds will go to back to the Association. If you know anyone interested let us know.

In response to the request of Owners to provide an easy way to do your laundry, we now offer a wash and dry laundry service. Your home laundry is collected and delivered the same day by our staff. Wash and Dry: US $15.00 per 10 lbs
Remember, if you are looking to purchase, rent or sell your unit - check out all the Owner listings on our web site. www.arubaoceanclub.com Thank you for your continued support and if you have any questions please e-mail me and send me your number or call me at 301-299-2118.
Regards,
Allan Cohen
President

Travelmom64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, maybe I should have purchased in AUA......

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Message from the Board President
August 2008
Dear Marriott’s Aruba Ocean Club Owners,

2009/2010 Assessment - our estimates remain the same at this time and we’ll provide you with more definitive numbers once we have them. As stated before, our projection for a one-bedroom will be in the $500-$600 range and the two-bedroom in the $700-$800 range for 2009 and 2010. We will be using the same formula that we use for our Maintenance fees. Since we do not have final figures, I cannot be more specific. We will keep them as low as possible, but want to insure that our refurbishment is paid for and that we have adequate reserves for all immediate repair needs and those that might occur in the future.

One of our very generous Owners has donated their 2 bedroom Gold - Garden view Surf Club villa to the Association. It is posted on our web site for sale. All proceeds will go to back to the Association. If you know anyone interested let us know.

Regards,
Allan Cohen
President

This is one of the Marriott resorts that I would love to own a week at, however this is a scary letter. A 2 bed room will be assessed $700 to $800 a year for 2 years on top of the MF's. How much are the MF's here now?

I am sure that generous owner who donated their 2 bed room gold week to the association was influenced to be very generous after reading the letter detailing the costs over the next 2 years and after checking prices on air fares. It is easier to give it away than to try and sell their week for a year or two while paying assessments and MF's. Resale buyers are very hard to come by right now, especially at resorts with multi-year assessments about to come due.

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This HOA is very aggressive on owner's rights and has made Marriott come up with rent money for using the facility, and has gotten some money back for the bad windows. The place needs a goods update, and everything costs more in Aruba than in the states. Aruba is a small, desert island. It producing nothing of its own, and has a limited labor pool. Everything has to be imported. I got a kick out of the fact that on a recent trip we used butter from Wisconsin, where we live.

MLC

TUG Member
Reaction score
the board at the Marriott Ocean club needs to go

To have that kind of an assessment means the board did not plan very well. If all Marriott timeshares follow that same suit we are in trouble. Thankfully I own only 1 of the one bedrooms at the ocean club. Marriott Aruba Surf club, I have not heard of an assessment. I wander what the assessment is for(lack of funds, I wander who is at fault for that).

We will blame it on hurricanes, since Aruba does not get them much. Just remember that Marriott gets about 10% of your MF as a management fee(just a little bit of conflict of interest). Marriott's perspective, is make the MF as high as you can so they can get more money. I know Marriott is in the business of making money at the owners expense.

It will be interesting to see what happens to MF across the board with Marriott this next year. The last 2 years with double digit increases is a little bit much since the other quality timeshares (Four Season, Royals, Westin and Hyatt) have not gone up that much.

Tug members what do you think MF will be this next year. Will we have zero increase like we did when 911 came? Marriott is not selling right now( sells force went from 60 to 18 in the orlando office)

I normally am not negative but we have to get a grip on our MF.

McFail

TUG Member
Reaction score
MLC,

The assessment should not be a surprise. Allan Cohen has been very forthright for a long time about the issues and expected assessment. While I don't look forward to my $2000 bill for the next two years I find the value in owning there.

As for the Surf Club don't forget Marriott has been setting and subidizing the MFs as far as I know so the SC may be on the same path.

NW

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still curious what the MF's are at the ocean club and the surf club for one and 2 bed rooms for 2009, or for 2008 if no one knows what the 2009 MF's will be yet.

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we paid about 1100 at the Surf last year....around that. Maintaniance with a reserve I believe. Keep in mind the Surf is new while the OC has been around a while. We are thrilled with our purchase. We never expected to own a TS but spent many years in Aruba at hotels. It was a good move for us. Both properties are great.

Sue

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the MF link. I am scared of any location that requires air fare right now, but the MF's for 2 bed rooms in Aruba are around $1000 which isn't too bad. Marriott's Hawaii MF's run from about $1400 to well over $2000. I love Hawaii, but if I was to buy an overseas Marriott resort it would be Aruba based on the annual costs to be an owner. Marriott Hawaii weeks can be rented from owners as cheap, or even cheaper than the cost of the current MF's.

Golfnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted. Duplicate messages are not permitted on these forums. Dave M, BBS Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: