• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maybe using VRBO

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Husband wants to use VRBO to rent out our week this year and I had it listed here on Tug, but he asked me to remove it:doh:.
So never having dealt with VRBO, I'm not sure if this is a good jumping off point to rent my unit outside of Tug. Every nervous:eek: , Pros and Cons please.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
VRBO is not geared for timeshares - their structure is geared towards full ownership vacation properties, and they have high fees.

For timeshares, I think the best practice is to use timeshare rental websites. I use TUG, Redweek, and Craigslist.

There is absolutely no reason to remove your Ad from TUG - the best practice is to list your rental on as many free and inexpensive websites as possible, for maximum exposure.

*My spouse has little knowledge of timeshares, and little interest, so I don't consult him on how to manage them. It works a lot better that way. ;)

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
VRBO

My husband thought it would be better, not sure and didn't want to start a fight. I did just listed it on Redweek(thanks DeniseM). I told my husband that I can relist it on Tug, with no fee. So maybe with the 2 listings he"ll be happy:shrug:. Men, they can be fickle :hysterical:
I have never listed anything on Craigslist, not sure how to do that. Thanks for your help :hi:

maggiesmom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Before you list on VRBO, take a careful look at ALL the fees - it is expensive, and will eat up much of your profit, since you have an inexpensive rental. There are listing fees, and fees out of the proceeds as well. It's too expensive IMNSHO.

Last edited:

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM
Would anyone know how would you place a rental on Craigslist??:shrug: , Timeshare is in Orlando,Fl
TIA:hi:

maggiesmom

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
VRBO

VRBO is not geared for timeshares - their structure is geared towards full ownership vacation properties, and they have high fees.

For timeshares, I think the best practice is to use timeshare rental websites. I use TUG, Redweek, and Craigslist.

There is absolutely no reason to remove your Ad from TUG - the best practice is to list your rental on as many free and inexpensive websites as possible, for maximum exposure.

*My spouse has little knowledge of timeshares, and little interest, so I don't consult him on how to manage them. It works a lot better that way. ;)

I would have gotten away with it:doh:, but I was talking to a friend when he found out , Oh well live and learn(Reminder to self) Book trips when he's not at home.:rofl:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
In my rental experiences...

TUG - none (TS people always looking for bargain, or unequal exchanges)
CL - none (but tons of scammers)
RedWeek - rented every single one with zero hassle (>20 rentals)

As mentioned - VRBO/HomeAway is not set up for single week reservations (too costly)

The best approach is too use a FMV to rent the week, and advertise correctly and clearly (amazing how often people to not list correctly)

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
DavidnRobin -Quote :The best approach is too use a FMV to rent the week, and advertise correctly and clearly (amazing how often people to not list correctly)

What is FMV(Fair Market Value)??? thank you..

Due to the fact if I tried to figure out how much is fair , it could be all over the place, Some people want over 1200 for the week know the check in dates and some people HAVE to rent it low for what ever reason.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You want to price it in the bottom 25% of the Comps for the same unit and week to be competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
DavidnRobin -Quote :The best approach is too use a FMV to rent the week, and advertise correctly and clearly (amazing how often people to not list correctly)

What is FMV(Fair Market Value)??? thank you..

Due to the fact if I tried to figure out how much is fair , it could be all over the place, Some people want over 1200 for the week know the check in dates and some people HAVE to rent it low for what ever reason.

What DeniseM says. I definitely rent on the low side, but hassle-free is important. Only renting what I own and can't use (yet) - running a biz is a different beast. I am covered until 2018 - which is nice at this life-junction.

Like anything - research what prices are, and sort of track them. There are always people listing for too much. On RedWeek, remove filter that only shows existing rentals. I except the fees for dealing with RW and PayPal.

Can't recall how AirBnB works with TS weeks. Probably not - don't see them there.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
In my rental experiences...

TUG - none (TS people always looking for bargain, or unequal exchanges)
CL - none (but tons of scammers)
RedWeek - rented every single one with zero hassle (>20 rentals)

Go figure... I've had lots of inquiries from RedWeek but never a rental. Always rented mine through TUG or eBay.

I listed on VRBO this time around just to see how it works. They do have an option which has $0 listing fee but they charge 10% when it rents. That includes 3% payment processing. So if you take that into account when you list, it could be a risk-free way to get additional exposure.

Airbnb is not set up for timeshare rentals. You must abide by their cancellation policies, the strictest of which is 7 days for a full refund. That's just too risky.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Most of the timeshare rentals I've read on VRBO seem to be conglomerates that own multiple weeks. When I was an owner at WKORV-N, I considered starting a WKORV rental club at VRBO with other TUGgers (and splitting the ad cost), but then I decided that renting wasn't worth the hassle.

The downside of VRBO to owners is their cost, but as a potential renter it makes me feel a tad safer because I know the fees have scared away the typical scammer.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
VRBO works great for vacation properties but it is a pain with timeshares. No matter how many times you mention that it is only for a specific week, and you block off every other week on the calendar, you will get multiple requests for people wanting other weeks. The responders just don't understand the timeshare idea. My #1 source of renters is Redweek and TUG #2. I don't use Craig's List - too many scammers there.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years back, I tried listing a fractional ownership (a "UDI" at Christmas Mountain Village) on VRBO. I had to fill out a ton of information. After I filled it all out, VRBO turned me down because I didn't have a full-ownership condo.:annoyed: