• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maybe a silly question re enrolling my week...

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the email that the price to enroll our resale weeks is quadrupling in June. So we are again contemplating enrolling our Shadow Ridge EOY Platinum week in the system.

We basically deposit EOY into II and trade into various Marriotts using the 1br and studio option. We've gotten some good weeks out of this in places like NCV...

I would like to try to use my points to go skiing sometime at Mountainside (January usually) if possible. A few days (3-4) would be great. Is this feasable or are these weeks too high demand for a nonowner to get?

Also, if I deposit, will it never be able to go into II again for trades? Can I still keep my week during the Platinum season at Shadow Ridge or will I have to trade back in?

Thanks for the help with this newbie info.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the email that the price to enroll our resale weeks is quadrupling in June. So we are again contemplating enrolling our Shadow Ridge EOY Platinum week in the system.

We basically deposit EOY into II and trade into various Marriotts using the 1br and studio option. We've gotten some good weeks out of this in places like NCV...

I would like to try to use my points to go skiing sometime at Mountainside (January usually) if possible. A few days (3-4) would be great. Is this feasable or are these weeks too high demand for a nonowner to get?

Also, if I deposit, will it never be able to go into II again for trades? Can I still keep my week during the Platinum season at Shadow Ridge or will I have to trade back in?

I think that anyone who has the chance to enroll should enroll. Enrolling does not restrict you from continuing to use I.I. as you normally have done. It just enhances your ownership and provides you with additional options, opportunities, and flexibility.

Enjoy your use!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Kath,

Your trading options would remain the same, you simply trade your fee menu (lock-off fee and exchange fee) for the Club fee. So your trading options are basically a wash.

You have the ability now to use your week for points, but availability at Mountainside would be challenging. If you only want a few days at Mountainside, you have to wait until 10 months from check-in to book that reservation, and demand is pretty high in winter for that property (i don't think a weekend reservation will be there for you).

You will have the option to rent points however, to supplement/replace your own weeks points. You could still lock-off and trade as normal and then rent whatever points you need?

Good luck, not an easy decision for the single-week owner....

Best,

Greg

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo

I had 2 reservations using points at summit watch Park City, one in december and one in January. It seems easier to book with points, (now anyway, that could change of course).

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Kath- Just fyi- the price for enrolling your resale week will increase in June, but by about a thousand dollars; interestingly, the price for enrolling developer weeks will quadruple, and enrollment fees for all eligible weeks will be the same.

While it will take many years to offset the enrollment fee if you just look at lock-off/trade fee savings, I also think Greg's point about being able to rent points from another owner is a big benefit to joining, even for the single week owner.

That, and the added assurance that my resale weeks will now be considered "equal" are the impetus for me to ultimately join; it may be meaningless, but if Marriott institutes further changes down the road, undoubtedly they will favor DC members and, down the road, Marriott may or may not continue to offer the option to resale purchasers. I wouldn't be surprised if after the June price increase another e-mail push goes out to resale owners with a "last opportunity" type to thing (and, no, I am not trying to start rumors- it's late and my mind is wandering).

taffy19

Reaction score
Kath, we only own one week too and enrolled. You receive 800 bonus points that we booked a few nights with at the MOC but then had to cancel and rebooked 3 nights somewhere else. I feel that the bonus points Will make the get-even point a lot sooner plus you can make changes in travel plans without the extra nickel and dime fees.

We do not regret enrolling and will use points if we decide to go to other resorts that are difficult to get with regular II exchanges because you can stay less than a week so see more in a different area.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Kath- Just fyi- the price for enrolling your resale week will increase in June, but by about a thousand dollars; interestingly, the price for enrolling developer weeks will quadruple, and enrollment fees for all eligible weeks will be the same.

While it will take many years to offset the enrollment fee if you just look at lock-off/trade fee savings, I also think Greg's point about being able to rent points from another owner is a big benefit to joining, even for the single week owner.

That, and the added assurance that my resale weeks will now be considered "equal" are the impetus for me to ultimately join; it may be meaningless, but if Marriott institutes further changes down the road, undoubtedly they will favor DC members and, down the road, Marriott may or may not continue to offer the option to resale purchasers. I wouldn't be surprised if after the June price increase another e-mail push goes out to resale owners with a "last opportunity" type to thing (and, no, I am not trying to start rumors- it's late and my mind is wandering).

I'm not sure that your mind is wandering all that much. Wasn't LAST June of 2011, the last opportunity to enroll?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I'm not sure that your mind is wandering all that much. Wasn't LAST June of 2011, the last opportunity to enroll?

:rofl: Ultimately, though, I wonder if there will come a time when resale owners were no longer invited to the table, at least unless they buy some undetermined number of points directly from Marriott.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
:rofl: Ultimately, though, I wonder if there will come a time when resale owners were no longer invited to the table, at least unless they buy some undetermined number of points directly from Marriott.
Nothing would surprise me. Big Brother (JWM), changes the rules of the game at their whim.
I enrolled my resales, if for no other reason than to try to protect my units, but I'm very disgusted at the whole points program,it's complexities, its roll-out and the disparity in information from Marriott sales people. I'm sure the overall DC program will work for many folks and I'm honestly happy for them.
I purchased my units to use....and that's exactly what we intend to do.
Mike

LAR

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, received the email in which they note that over 100K owners have enrolled into the program. I was wondering what percentage of owner weeks that represents?

LAR

taffy19

Reaction score
Kath, I missed that yours is a re-sale week so much more expensive to enroll and the break-even point will take a lot longer. It is a difficult decision for a one week owner.

We received a high point allocation with the Maui MM1 besides the lower enrollment fee so that helped with making our decision.

If you are a frequent exchanger, my worry would be that the more trust owners enter the point program the less full weeks will end up in II to exchange because of broken up weeks and you will have to use points in the future. By enrolling at the present lower fee you have the option of exchanging with II or using points, if it becomes necessary.

sjnoble

Reaction score
How about for single week 1-br owner?

We own a single developer week but it's only a 1-br unit.
So far we've been exchanging through II for the unit + the AC which is getting very difficult to use.

I don't like having to pay $695 up front to enroll and paying the annual club fee $195.
Even though it may add up about the same as paying II <$100/yr + the exchange fees.
If we decide to use our week one year then the $195 would be wasted right?

Does it make any sense for us to join?

Cmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
sjnoble,
You are correct that if you just occupied your week you would be out the annual fee for DC.

Joining the DC can be hard to justify for single week owners. Since you have a developer week, and the cost to join is relatively small, you really have to decide if the added flexibility is worth it to you. Good Luck with your decision.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
sjnoble,
You are correct that if you just occupied your week you would be out the annual fee for DC.

However you will still have use of the Interval account for the year. If you are like me I alway had an Interval account since I bought my first timeshare. Sometimes my years of home use would overlap with years I had on deposit with Interval.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just read the small print. $1495 to enroll my EOY resale! :hysterical: Never mind! I thought it was $695....