• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace Rocky Point

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about Mexico timeshares. I was consulted about the value of a one bedroom suite (floating) for Mayan Palace. Off the top of my head, I suggested between $4000 and $5000. How far am I off???

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
On ebay

there is a floating MP unit with a buy it now price of $50, of course there is the pesky 10% of the original price transfer fee, and every 5 years they collect and additional years fees for upgrades, then every 25 years the charge another years worth of fees for your renewal, ..

My guess is that you were only off a couple of digits, $40-$500 . jmho, :D Greg

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg, IMHO I think you are to high on the resale price range WORTH by about $1,000 to $2,000 when dealing with those :mad: !~#%&)_)&*#$$%&()&* Mayan Place bloodsuckers.

Bruce :D

aliikai2 said:
there is a floating MP unit with a buy it now price of $50, of course there is the pesky 10% of the original price transfer fee, and every 5 years they collect and additional years fees for upgrades, then every 25 years the charge another years worth of fees for your renewal, ..

My guess is that you were only off a couple of digits, $40-$500 . jmho, :D Greg

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harry,The 10% :eek: resort tranfer fees take away from the value of the Mayans and the other excess charges that milk :eek: the owners for even more money. If you want a better ownership a RHC or Startwood ownership just to mention 2 ownerships are far better "Investments" than the Mayans.

Reread Greags list of the greedyness :mad: of the Mayans so you have an idea of the extra costs in getting suckered into buying a Mayan.

After staying in a newer Mayan 4 years ago in PV during a New Years week I feel that IMHO they have no soul among their many other defects and they would be among my last picks for a Mexico timeshare vacation.

The Mayans selling practices are sleazy :mad: and are directly attribuable to the head management. The Mayans IMHO are like a dead fish, they stink from the head down and they try to screw not only new buyers but the present owners out of more money.

I would much perfer the friendlier places like the Lindo Mar which is both RCI and II.

IMHO bigger is not always better and IMHO the Mayans IMHO certainly fit that saying.

For 2007 week 4 we passed on all of the Mayans in Cacun and took the Club International De Cacun an older Royal 2 bedroom 3 floor ocean front unit.

Harry said:
But it is a beautiful place, I guess from the reviews and RCI. What really is the serious value?

Last edited:

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check Holiday Group

People don't like the sales approach w/ the Mayan. The newer contracts have the 10% transfer fee; the older ones do not and they have lower maintenance fees than the newer contracts.

The Mayan Palace is great in that if you own at one, you own at all. We love our purchases! Check www.holidaygroup.com. I use Sandy Lyon.

I response to your original question, I think $4-5K for a red float week is too much on the resale market. Unless it includes all 52 weeks eligible for use.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't know Mayan Palace prices specifically. From my general knowledge of Club Regina prices, and assuming there are a decent number of years remaining on the Mayan Palace contract, I would think that your original assumption of about $4000 - $5000 may not be too far off if you are considering price to the buyer. I suspect the $4000 price is closer, as that would represent some premium over the price for a Club Regina non-holiday one-bedroom unit with 25 or so years remaining on the contract.

To get the listing price, you should subtract from that whatever the Mayan Palace transfer fee will be for the unit.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, what do I tell my friend?

Great responses; thanks. Bruce and Steve you both have been around TUG longer than I (and I have been here for many years). My friend has to sell but is not sure what price (she actually thought I would be interested). Should I direct her to Ebay? How about a re-sale broker who handles Mayans, without any up front costs of course?

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harry, thanks for the complicment but both Steve and Greg have been around longer and both are far smarter than I am so IMHO I suggest that you give more wieght to their comments than to mine.

A Starwood or RHC IMHO would give a better value.

Ebay sounds good if they are in a hurry. Otherwise maybe have them first list on several low cost websites. Then if they do not sell then maybe list with a resaler.

I feel a owner can better and more accurately explain the timehare usage, its advantages, etc than a saleperson that has no real life experiance with the owners resort or its FAB. (Features, Advantages or Benifits)

Harry said:
Great responses; thanks. Bruce and Steve you both have been around TUG longer than I (and I have been here for many years). My friend has to sell but is not sure what price (she actually thought I would be interested). Should I direct her to Ebay? How about a re-sale broker who handles Mayans, without any up front costs of course?

Last edited: