• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maximizing my position

pauliej

Reaction score
I`m interested in buying a bargain basement timeshare. What is the best scenario to put myself into? Points week or what have you. I`m not interested in going to the same location every year and want a place that will allow me to be able to trade and go whereever I like. So I was thinking Hawaii or Vegas may be better for trading purposes. I`m looking for a place with a low purchase price and low annual maintainance fee but still a reputable hotel like a Sheraton, Hilton or Marriott. I have stayed at Tahiti Village before but was`nt impressed enough to purchase. I want the biggest inintial bang for my buck which will allow me as many options as possiable down the road. Please help.
Thank you
Paul:wall: :wall: :wall:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

There is no one-size-fits-all with timesharing, so your best bet is to hang around with us a while and do some reading and ask some questions.

As to your post - Hawaii has good trading power, but is generally much too expensive to use as a trader (high upfront fee and high maintenance fees.) Las Vegas has over 30 timeshares and therefore has more supply than demand, which gives it low trading power, so it's not a good place to buy a trader either.

Here are some questions you can answer to get focused:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
4) How many people do you usually travel with?
5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I`m interested in buying a bargain basement timeshare. What is the best scenario to put myself into? Points week or what have you. I`m not interested in going to the same location every year and want a place that will allow me to be able to trade and go whereever I like. So I was thinking Hawaii or Vegas may be better for trading purposes. I`m looking for a place with a low purchase price and low annual maintainance fee but still a reputable hotel like a Sheraton, Hilton or Marriott. I have stayed at Tahiti Village before but was`nt impressed enough to purchase. I want the biggest inintial bang for my buck which will allow me as many options as possiable down the road. Please help.
Thank you

Please take no offense but there is a disconnect in what you want and what you want to pay, unless my definition of bargain basement is off.

To get Hawaii or Vegas and Sheraton, Hilton or Marriott you're need to make a decent investment unless you don't want prime seasons or 2 BDRM units and can travel short notice.

If you have that type of travel profile then that is different and you can use less expensive weeks to travel short notice in the off seasons.

Now if you're like my family and want a 2BDRM Marriott quality in Hawaii during the winter then to me the biggest bang for the buck is a Marriott 2BDRM LO plat or possibly a Gold. I'm starting to really see the value in the Marriott Kauai Beach Club 2BDRM OV LO. I bought one last year at $6100 and saw one sell for a little cheaper and one alittle more.

That may seem a little costly for some but you get what you pay for in my book. IMHO so many make the mistake of buying a really cheap no name and then regret it because they can't exchange the way they want, they can't rent it or dump it if necessary.

Pay the money upfront and it will save you a lot of grief on the back end. And if you get a good resale price you will lose much less when you do try to sell it.

There may be cheaper Marriott LOs but I like Maui or Kauai because there will always be a demand for a 2BDRM LO OV Marriott in Hawaii if you need to flip it. They will also always be top shelf traders.

They will also always be great renters. I've rented my MOC weeks with no problem at great prices right through the economy meltdown and now Kauai has performed the same way for me the last 2.

So I suggest a 2BDRM LO OV plat, perferrably a Maui or Kauai because;
* Not a huge investment, Maui about $14k and Kaui about $7K
* Some would probably disagree but the MFs, $1899 for Maui and $1569 for Kauai is reasonable for what you get
* LOs bring tremendous value if you know how to maximize. Splitting and trading studio or master for some really nice 2BDRM Marriott units in shoulder season is very doable.
* Trading will be top shelf including all other great Marriotts around the world that will be easy to acquire through II or even direct trades.
* Renting 2BDRM Maui or Kauai when you're not using is easy if you get a decent week. Maui studios rent for more than total MFs. There are probably a few other Marriott studios that you could say that about. 2BDRMs rent for $1000+ MF.
* This would never become an albatross for you as Marriott 2BDRM LO OV plat weeks have always sold especially Hawaii weeks. No name brands once owned are hard to dump.
* If you do get a good resale price you won't lose much value of over time if necessary to sell.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aahh, if it were that easy

Paul, what you have asked for does not exist, period.
You can get a Hotel Brand Unit like a Sheraton for a pretty reasonable initial price, but the annual fees will not be low.

All the major hotel type resorts have higher standards, therefore higher annual costs, that translates into higher fees for the owner/user to pay.

Hilton has a slightly lower annual cost if used correctly, but a much higher purchase price.

There are some off season Marriott units that can be bought affordably, but their annual fees are quite high.

It boils down to if you must have the Top Shelf resorts, you will need to pay $$$ to own them.

Or since you don't want to return to the same place, resort, maybe rather than buying, you should consider renting.

Greg

I`m interested in buying a bargain basement timeshare. I`m looking for a place with a low purchase price and low annual maintainance fee but still a reputable hotel like a Sheraton, Hilton or Marriott. I want the biggest inintial bang for my buck which will allow me as many options as possiable down the road. Please help.
Thank you

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with being greedy

I wanted also to maximize my "bang" at minimum "buck" expenditure.

What I did was first study the various points "Systems" - since I also didn't want to buy only to occupy. I found that RCI Points best meet my needs re: versatility, low MF cost and low initial purchase cost.

I then found the "best" RCI Points ownership for my needs to fill my portfolio, your needs might be different.

I want some points units close to my home areas - so I bought an already converted week at Meadow Lake (a five hour drive) in Montana - but I bought most of my points based on "lowest cost and MF for the most points".

In use I discovered that the 10 month reservation window was too short for some of the vacations I wanted - so I then got a "giveaway" MROP to fill in my advance ressie needs.

You should have a lot of study under you belt before you buy -timeshares are much easier to buy than they are to sell.

It will limit the head bashing :p