• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui: Marriott vs. Westin

baccachew

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post. My husband and I currently own a 2 bedroom lock-off at Kahana Falls on Maui with his mom. The beds there are terrible (i have a bad back) and his mom is going to buy us out. We love Maui so we want to buy another timeshare. I love the westin heavenly beds and have seen the villas that westin has built. I have not seen the Marriott property yet (we will go take a look why we are here) but I was wondering what are people's advice between the two.

Here are some of the things that are going through my head...

We most likely will come back to Maui every year, but I would like to be able to trade to other islands sometimes.

Is one more kid friendly over the other? We don't have kids yet, but hopefully will soon.

How is the Trading power via II?

Thanks for any advice!!
becca

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Becca -- You might want to read both the Marriott and Starwood (owner of the Westin) boards. Both groups will have a lot to say about their Maui properties. Both are wonderful; both have drawbacks. For Starwood, at least, you don't have to buy in Maui to go to Maui, especially if you can go during the off season.

Do lots of reading before spending any money! Best of luck with your decision.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Where to start-

BUY RESALE! It's a buyers market right now!

At the top of the Marriott Board there is a Marriott FAQ, and at the top of the Starwood Board there is a Starwood FAQ.

Starwood and Marriott both have timeshares on Kauai.

The Marriott is in the heart of all the action on Ka'anapali Beach, and the Westin is up the beach in a much less crowded area. Which location is best just depends on what you like.

The only thing about trading an expensive timeshare in II is that it is very hard to get an equal exchange and trading down is no fun. If you don't want to go to Hawaii every year, consider an every other year ownership. The maintenance fees are so high, they aren't cost effective exchangers.

It is relatively easy to exchange into the Starwood Kauai Resort (Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas) using Starwood's internal exchange system, except for Christmas and New Years. At both resorts (Kauai and Maui) Christmas and New Years weeks are premium weeks that have to be bought as fixed weeks.

Chart comparing the 4 major hotel based timeshare systems: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83345

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Welcome to TUG!

We own at the Westin on Maui and go every year. We love it! We informally toured the new Marriott villas (purpose-built timeshare section versus remodeled hotel rooms) in March of this year and loved them. We love the beach in front of the Westin Ka'anapali for the awesome snorkeling and diving. We love being away from the crowds of the Whaler's Village area.

If we had to do it all over again, I'd probably buy at fixed week, fixed unit at the Westin Ka'anapali, or a fixed week, fixed unit at the new Marriott villas ,or both :) . I would never trade with II because the maintenance fees are so high. It would be better to rent out my week and use the proceeds to rent where I wanted to go.

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at both and own at neither, but we did buy a different Starwood property this year so that we can use Staroptions to get into the Westin Kaanapali the years we want to go there.

It has been 4 years since we stayed at the Marriott. Even then it was hard to find chairs at the kids pool, I can't imagine what it is like with the new units, the tiny pools they put in front wouldn't cut it. The beach there was not very friendly for kids, we often saw boogie boarders and then paramedics when they separated their shoulders. The kids did enjoy the pirate ship area, waterfall pool and slide. It was nice to walk the Whaler's village restaurants. The Marriott beds used to be very uncomfortable, they may have changed them out since then.

Last year we stayed at the Westin Villas for the first time. We had a phenomenal ocean front unit that definitely had an impact on our opinions, but we loved it. We never left the resort to snorkel, we just walked out the beach where the kids spent most of the time playing. They spent very little time in the pool. We took the shuttle to Lahaina or drove for dinner a few nights but ate in more than ever during a vacation. We preferred the less frenetic feel of the WKORV than the Marriott area and could be happy there a very long time.

I'd stay at either again but prefer the Westin, it really is subjective though.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I bought Westin Kierland and have traded into the Westin Maui properties every year (off-season) since 2006. I'm headed for Maui again in February, and did an II exchange to return again in September. I think Maui is the best Westin timeshare I've been to yet.

I haven't toured the Marriott, but keep hearing great reviews of it. I'd like to tour it, but have no intention of buying there...

And yeah... the beds *are* great! :)

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding trading power ... given the MF in Hawaii, you'd always be better off renting out your week than trading it IMO.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Isn't the Starwood on Kauai a hotel (not condos)?

There is a Sheraton Hotel in Poipu where they were going to build timeshares before the economy cratered.

There are Westin timeshares at Princeville which are now open (WPORV).

The Princeville Hotel will soon re-open as a St. Regis, one of Starwood's premium brands.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
the Westin beds are mch better