• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
UPDATE 4/18/22 from Marty: Dedicated to all those who own, or are employed by, or have been employed by, the many fine restaurants on Hilton Head Island. You deserve our thanks and our sincere gratitude for all you do, and have done, throughout this most challenging time while enduring the Coronavirus pandemic. We stand with you as we go forward, never knowing what can and will happen. We do also continually acknowledge the enjoyment and enrichment that you bring to our lives. Thank you. May God bless us all.

See the OP's most-recent update in Post #787.

Last edited by a moderator:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Outstanding!. You are on point with all your recommendations.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Thanks Marty, fantastic update! I don't think I"ll ever be able to keep up with you, but at least I put a dent in your list.
"So much great food, so little island time"

Your buddy ;)

TravlinDuo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Vista (x2)
Thanks Marty! We're headed down to MBY last week in August... your updated list is great timing !

Sue

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good list Marty,
I would make 2 additions. Daniels across from Coligny Plaza has wonderful Tapas, they are different from "Tapas". Also for a light lunch or dinner we like the Market Street Cafe. Good wraps.
Santa Fe is also my favorite on the island. One other comment--- Redfish is very child friendly!
Actually all of the fine dining restaurants that you have listed as not for kids we have taken our children to( when they were young) and now we have brought our grandson. If a child(ren) are well behaved there is no problem taking them anywhere.

Last edited:

Bnov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great recommendations! They're headed to the Hilton Head digital folder we keep for future reference.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
VINE

On the recommendation of your list and trip advisor I called THE VINE to make dinner reservations for 2 people at 8 PM on July 15th. They called me back to tell me they only have 5, 5:30 and 9 available. We took the 9.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
On the recommendation of your list and trip advisor I called THE VINE to make dinner reservations for 2 people at 8 PM on July 15th. They called me back to tell me they only have 5, 5:30 and 9 available. We took the 9.

amazing isn't it? Vine seems to be the new hot spot.
Getting a reservation is almost like snagging a hard-to-get week from a 9:00:00001 am call to MVCI...... Lol

and about Daniel's, I almost placed it on the list, but since I haven't been there, and because it's relatively new, I decided to wait until I can try it. I was at HH the past few days---only had 4 nights---- and will be returning this upcoming weekend, and I'll try Daniel's for sure. Wanted to go there already, but we ended up going to Skull Creek, Santa Fe, WiseGuys, and One Hot Mama's on consecutive nights. All were great, great, great.

I'll let you know about Daniel's, and perhaps add it afterward.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you get the chance, have a meal at 843 which is the sister restaurant of Vine (same ownership). It's in the Fresh Market shopping center on the far left end of the center. Patio seating available. Small dinning area w/ no real bar to speak of.

We called Vine for last minute seating and they asked us if we would consider 843 as we could be seated immediately (15 minutes). I checked Trip Advisor and it had good ratings/opinions. We were greated by the manager and given his personal attention. I think the menu changes every day so everything on it is a thoughful, personally prepared meal (I guess the Fresh Market next door helps with that?). We left with mixed opinons due to the limited menu but what we all had was very good.

A few more opinions would help.

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the list Marty! You were so helpful during our first visit last July.. we are headed back to MGO in two weeks.. you have us hooked!!

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
Also a great bfast stop:

Skillets at Coligny Plaza: we go there every trip.

Agree with most others, except Micheal Anthony's. We went there for years every visit because we liked the wine flights and menu. The last two times, it seemed less freshly cooked and the chicken parm seemed like something frozen. Off our list..too many other choices.

Ruan Thai (2 locations) is great. We usually do take out.

Love Alexanders, especially early bird values.

We used to love the old German Restaurant near the circle, but it closed a few years ago. Now there is a new one open near Sea Pines, Alfreds.
I have to say it was intimate and delicious, but the window opened on to a dead garden with a dirty fountain. Better if they had paid someone to freshen or closed the curtains. Great schnitzel. Incredible deserts.

Guiseppis is our traditional first night take pizza to the room stop.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
another limited update

Went to Daniel's in Coligny Plaza for the first time this past weekend and it was outstanding. I therefore updated my restaurant list (see post # 1 above) as promised to reflect that experience, and I added it into the "fine dining" section. THANK YOU to SueDonJ for helping to edit the old post.

Wasn't sure exactly into which category to place it, but because I felt that Daniel's is not for kids, that the food and ambiance are more geared toward adults, and that the overall quality more closely approaches that of fine dining criteria, I placed it there.

Anyway, we enjoyed it a lot---- food and service were great. The decor is definitely different, almost quirky, but cool. Frankly it's a nice change!!! It's beautiful in there, very well-done, and the low lights make it sort of a romantic spot.

The tapas menu has three sections, representing 3 areas of the world---the Americas, the Mediterranean, and Asia. Each section has associated salads and entrees from those regions called "Big small plates", and there are about 5-6+ tapas to choose from in each section. All are interesting and the ones I had were delicious. There is also a traditional menu section (beef, fish, pork, chicken, etc are all represented) for those who find the tapas too exotic, or whatever. Check it out.

Meanwhile I'll be trying to get back to HH to do more exploring. After my daughter's wedding of 3 weeks ago, the travel has been curtailed slightly for a while. LOL

Last edited:

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I would also place a high vote for skull creek boathouse!! We went tonight and I think we had beginner's luck, as it was our first time going to Skull Creek. We didn't do call ahead because we were already out early(about 5:15 pm) and got a front row table outside!!The cars were piling in as we were leaving about 6:30ish.

Very timely on the updated restaurant list, much appreciated!

BTW-Villa Updates are great at MGO, Our villa is updated and on the 5th floor of the dolphin building looking over the lagoons at the ocean...pretty great!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
duplicate post

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
For what it is worth, I would also place a high vote for skull creek boathouse!! We went tonight and I think we had beginner's luck, as it was our first time going to Skull Creek.

We didn't do call ahead because we were already out early(about 5:15 pm) and got a front row table outside!!The cars were piling in as we were leaving about 6:30ish.

Very timely on the updated restaurant list, much appreciated!

Skull Creek Boathouse is my 2nd favorite restaurant overall at Hilton Head, and my absolute first pick for seafood. Marriott Concierge Call-Ahead is mandatory, imho, and I'd never consider going without it, as waits on ANY night, even Mondays, can be 60-90 minutes. It's always crazy busy. With Call-Ahead, it's 5-10 minutes. Was there twice over the past two weekends.

I also recommend using the valet parking----for 2 bucks you drive to the door, otherwise a potential long walk. SCB also has the delicious Colossal Lump Crabmeat Knuckles again (not listed on menu, but say "Colossal Crab Knuckles"), previously dropped a year ago due to price and availability, but now they've added them back......my absolute favorite as an appetizer or dinner entree.

But being different,
I order it "2 portions in a bowl, just crabmeat--- no lettuce, garnish, or house sauce, & warmed to room temp"...then I make my own sweet sauce tableside by stirring 1:1 ketchup and mayonnaise---it's a homemade thousand island dressing and it's wonderful if crabmeat is dipped just lightly---really enhances the crabmeat. If server doesn't understand what kind of crabmeat you're asking for, ask for Chris or Doug (managers) or chef Brad. They know what you want.

also, Prince Edward Island Mussels as an appetizer...Whoa.
.....and dunk the bread in the broth afterward. Double Whoa.

http://www.skullcreekboathouse.com/archives/menus/dinner-menu

FYI, Santa Fe is my favorite restaurant on the island, and has been for over a decade. My go-to dinner is the bone-in Cowboy Cut Ribeye. It's HUGE, it's great, and it's always perfect. Owner Marshal always makes sure of that. Wife loves the grouper or the Chimichanga. All enjoyed at our favorite table (if only the two of us) in back room to right near Chef's grill.

http://www.santafehhi.com/

Last edited:

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
I completely agree on the call ahead seating! I had read the posts and planned on going somewhere different it it didn't work out and use the call ahead later in the week! It really is amazing how busy it gets quickly! At any rate, thanks again for tips!

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
If you are looking for great BBQ and don't mind going back off the island, Jim and nicks is fantastic and not run off the mill with interesting side dishes.
It is back by the car dealerships

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
early bird

Skull Creek Boathouse is my 2nd favorite restaurant overall at Hilton Head, and my absolute first pick for seafood. Marriott Concierge Call-Ahead is mandatory, imho, and I'd never consider going without it, as waits on ANY night, even Mondays, can be 60-90 minutes. It's always crazy busy. With Call-Ahead, it's 5-10 minutes. Was there twice over the past two weekends.

I also recommend using the valet parking----for 2 bucks you drive to the door, otherwise a potential long walk. SCB also has the delicious Colossal Lump Crabmeat Knuckles again (not listed on menu, but say "Colossal Crab Knuckles"), previously dropped a year ago due to price and availability, but now they've added them back......my absolute favorite as an appetizer or dinner entree.

But being different,
I order it "2 portions in a bowl, just crabmeat--- no lettuce, garnish, or house sauce, & warmed to room temp"...then I make my own sweet sauce tableside by stirring 1:1 ketchup and mayonnaise---it's a homemade thousand island dressing and it's wonderful if crabmeat is dipped just lightly---really enhances the crabmeat. If server doesn't understand what kind of crabmeat you're asking for, ask for Chris or Doug (managers) or chef Brad. They know what you want.

also, Prince Edward Island Mussels as an appetizer...Whoa.
.....and dunk the bread in the broth afterward. Double Whoa.

http://www.skullcreekboathouse.com/archives/menus/dinner-menu

FYI, Santa Fe is my favorite restaurant on the island, and has been for over a decade. My go-to dinner is the bone-in Cowboy Cut Ribeye. It's HUGE, it's great, and it's always perfect. Owner Marshal always makes sure of that. Wife loves the grouper or the Chimichanga. All enjoyed at our favorite table (if only the two of us) in back room to right near Chef's grill.

http://www.santafehhi.com/

We happened upon Skull Creek Boathouse just before 6pm during Spring Break and discovered an early bird menu (until 6pm I think???). More food than we could eat at a very reasonable price. There was no wait at all when we arrived. The place was PACKED 20-minutes later.

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Old Oyster Factory last night. It was very good. Grilling pork chops tonight. Tomorrow is Skull Creek Boathouse. We have Marriott reservations!

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this great thread. We ate at Lowcountry Backyard. It was excellent and has lots of gluten free. On to Savannah tomorrow.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marty,

Thanks for this generous list! May I suggest an additional category for sweet treats? Like Carolina Cupcakes and Moo something for ice cream, I'm horrible at remembering names . . ., the bakery near the post office, etc.

Cheers!

Diane