• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Ocean Pointe Owners and Friends

jimg20s

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Visited Ocean Pointe in March. Went to a timeshare presentation at Oceana Palms while there. Now I have tried to trade my suite in Aruba for a week in November (4-20th) thru Interval International at either resort. So far no luck. I'm wondering if any of you who own float weeks< rather than points, are finding it more difficult to have a swap approved now that Marriott owns Interval International. I'm concerned that they would rather you buy points from them, as opposed to making a successful trade.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience, or from anyone who deposited one of those weeks into Interval International.
Thanks,
Jim

wanlord1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just booked Oceana Palms on points for Nov 28. Looking for a 7 day stay using points we only had two dates to choose from so I think its a very popular time, it's an attractive location because everybody on the east coast can drive and not have to fly. It's also a great property. Everybody's trying to use all their points before they expire. It's hard everywhere. We also tried to use a week we had in interval without luck. We did book Grande Ocean in Hilton Head for the end of March using Interval on our first try.

jimg20s

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
We just booked Oceana Palms on points for Nov 28. Looking for a 7 day stay using points we only had two dates to choose from so I think its a very popular time, it's an attractive location because everybody on the east coast can drive and not have to fly. It's also a great property. Everybody's trying to use all their points before they expire. It's hard everywhere. We also tried to use a week we had in interval without luck. We did book Grande Ocean in Hilton Head for the end of March using Interval on our first try.
Interesting to know...thanks

mikmill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Hello Fellow OP owners!!! I just received my ballot for the upcoming election of the board of directors and I am asking for your vote! I will protect your investment by keeping our dues under control while maintaining the quality of the resort that you expect. You should or soon will receive a letter from MVCI with a control number, when you do go to proxyvoting.com/MVCI and vote... for Michael Millner! Thx!

bobparm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Hello Fellow OP owners!!! I just received my ballot for the upcoming election of the board of directors and I am asking for your vote! I will protect your investment by keeping our dues under control while maintaining the quality of the resort that you expect. You should or soon will receive a letter from MVCI with a control number, when you do go to proxyvoting.com/MVCI and vote... for Michael Millner! Thx!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email yesterday with the currently proposed maintenance fees for next year, although the reserve fee will likely change after the votes are counted. Even without a reserve increase, management is proposing a 5-10% increase. This includes a new line item of $57 for operating capital. I've never seen this item on any of my MVC timeshares. Andy Mitchell was the GM at Oceana Palms for a few years and our MF's increased more than my others. He tends to like adding amenities that look good and raise ratings by guests, but many really weren't needed and didn't justify the cost. I hope owners contact board members and other owner to express their concerns regarding these increases.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email yesterday with the currently proposed maintenance fees for next year, although the reserve fee will likely change after the votes are counted. Even without a reserve increase, management is proposing a 5-10% increase. This includes a new line item of $57 for operating capital. I've never seen this item on any of my MVC timeshares. Andy Mitchell was the GM at Oceana Palms for a few years and our MF's increased more than my others. He tends to like adding amenities that look good and raise ratings by guests, but many really weren't needed and didn't justify the cost. I hope owners contact board members and other owner to express their concerns regarding these increases.

The annual meeting will be held early next month. I am hoping that anyone who can attend will attend and voice your opinions.

Hopefully someone will post the exact date, time and location. Traditionally it is held at the PGA Marriott.......

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Grande Vista and our Sheraton Vistana Villages budgets have that new Operating Capital line item. It is over $100 for a 2BR week at MGV. Isn't it also on the Royal Palms budget?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Vista and our Sheraton Vistana Villages budgets have that new Operating Capital line item. It is over $100 for a 2BR week at MGV. Isn't it also on the Royal Palms budget?
I didn't notice it but will check it when I receive the final budget. Royal Palms has 3 separate sections, so I will have to check all three. I don't recall Mountainside having it and I would have noticed an additional large item.

tatmtr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Platinum Ocean Pointe, Platinum Desert Springs 1, Marbella, Chairmans Club, MarriottVacationClub Points, Paradise Village, Mx.
Any news from the OP owners meeting?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find that statement hard to believe! They would have no prospects to sell to if they did away with rewards/ gifts for attending.
I think the biggest abusers are probably us owners who attend with no intention of buying anything else directly from Marriott (right Tuggers?).

Maybe MVC should be more selective as to whom they recruit to attend and scale the rewards appropriately. Not just an issue at Ocean Pointe but at all MVC properties.

I wouldn't call the owners who attend sales presentations abusers. This is based on a comment we got from a sales person at SurfWatch. We wanted to see the property without a sales presentation so scheduled a "look-around" with a sales rep. While driving us around in a golf cart I told him how annoying it was to be pestered by multiple calls wanting us to do a presentation. I asked why would they call when they can see we already owned 7 weeks and already had more than we needed.

His reply was that the best buyers were owners. :oops:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
His reply was that the best buyers were owners.
Very true. The person most likely to buy from you is the one that already bought from you before. When they first rolled out DC, almost all the buyers of new points were current owners. Upselling points to "book a better view". To this day, something like 50%+ of buyers are existing owners.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This message recently came from a Board member:

Finance Committee, Board, and Annual meetings in mid-November.

Due to a variety of issues (mostly delivery of materials), the Dolphin refurb has been postponed until next fall and will occur along with the Cobia refurb. Needless to say, this creates multiple challenges for the staff. Sadly, the postponement was unavoidable.

OP is attempting to get back to some normal activities starting in 2022, however that could change at any moment as the COVID situation seems to change almost daily. Please be patient and kind to the staff. They are doing their best.

As you might expect, the cost of running the resort is continually increasing as (most likely) are your expenses at home. The majority of our expenses cannot be controlled -- insurance, water, sewers, electricity etc...plus we have a 22+-year-old waterfront property which is constantly affected by the wind among other things. The Board does its best to keep expenses under control, but increases are inevitable in some areas. For example, the sectional sofa we put in Sailfish now costs more for future refurbs as does the cost of installing it. Maintaining a quality resort is costly......period.

We have a new Board member, Rick Padhima, from Texas so now we have Board members from NY, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Texas.

The Board met on 11/18 and selected the officers for the year -- John Parker, VP; Marty Kanter, Treasurer; Mark Holzhauer, Secretary; Rick Padinha, Director; and Julie Parmegiani, President. Bob Tangorre will continue on the Finance Committee as the owner representative along with Rick and chairman Marty.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We are at Ocean Pointe right now. We are in Dolphin. NOt much wrong with a villa that was due for refurb this year. It does look like they are refinishing the balcony floor. Not sure if it is all buildings, or just this one. The floor coating has all been scraped off and all we have is bare concrete.

PsuFrh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Canyon Villas
This message recently came from a Board member:

Finance Committee, Board, and Annual meetings in mid-November.

Due to a variety of issues (mostly delivery of materials), the Dolphin refurb has been postponed until next fall and will occur along with the Cobia refurb. Needless to say, this creates multiple challenges for the staff. Sadly, the postponement was unavoidable.

OP is attempting to get back to some normal activities starting in 2022, however that could change at any moment as the COVID situation seems to change almost daily. Please be patient and kind to the staff. They are doing their best.

As you might expect, the cost of running the resort is continually increasing as (most likely) are your expenses at home. The majority of our expenses cannot be controlled -- insurance, water, sewers, electricity etc...plus we have a 22+-year-old waterfront property which is constantly affected by the wind among other things. The Board does its best to keep expenses under control, but increases are inevitable in some areas. For example, the sectional sofa we put in Sailfish now costs more for future refurbs as does the cost of installing it. Maintaining a quality resort is costly......period.

We have a new Board member, Rick Padhima, from Texas so now we have Board members from NY, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Texas.

The Board met on 11/18 and selected the officers for the year -- John Parker, VP; Marty Kanter, Treasurer; Mark Holzhauer, Secretary; Rick Padinha, Director; and Julie Parmegiani, President. Bob Tangorre will continue on the Finance Committee as the owner representative along with Rick and chairman Marty.
Thank you for this update. Very helpful.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked in last night and are staying in an oceanfront studio at Kingfish. Very happy with the location. We like the activity by the inlet. And even though the buildings are facing east, when we turned the corner by the inlet we got to experience a nice sunset last night.

Here are a few initial observations:
  • Wish we had overhead lighting. Even though we have three lamps, it is somewhat dark by the table next to the sliding glass door.
  • Having problems finding plugs that are secure enough to charge our cell phones & computers. When we stick a cube into the lamps so we can charge our cell phones and lap tops, we've notice that it doesn't always hold the charge.
  • DW finds bathroom lighting too dark for makeup.
  • Sliding glass door has to be lubricated. It sticks when we open and close it.
These observations are really nitpicks and not problems. We really enjoy this place. Especially since the sun has come out as I'm typing, which allows me to sneak in another photo

Now for your help. I'm meeting my cousin for late lunch/early dinner on Wednesday. He'd like to eat outdoors. Not looking to travel far since he's driving up from Delray Beach. Please give me your suggestions.
I was thinking about Sailfish Marina and 3800 Ocean

Also appreciate any other restaurant recommendations. We ate at Mulligan's last night. We enjoy walking and not driving to & from dinner. The meals (mahi & shrimp) were very good.

I had planned on going bike riding & kayaking & perhaps a little snorkeling. But due to health problems, I've been told to avoid activity more strenuous than walking until further test results come back. Right now we're thinking about Arthur Marshall Wildlife Refuge, Manatee Lagoon, Mounts Botanical Garden, Flamingo Gardens (when we arrive back to FLL), concert at Kreavis and Florida Panther's hockey game. The good thing about Florida being so flat is we can walk almost anywhere. Please let us have of your recommendations.
IMG_3103.jpeg
IMG_3112.jpeg

Thanks.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Bunk, thanks for your report and suggestions/ observations. We were there last month and enjoyed our stay in the refurbished Sailfish building.

As for restaurant recommendations, I would avoid 3800 Ocean at the Marriott. We went there for brunch and it was terrible. Understaffed, poor management, outdoor area wasn't open.
Sailfish would be better if want to stay local on Singer Island.
If you don't mind driving to Palm Beach Gardens, we really enjoyed The Cooper at PGA Commons on PGA Blvd.
Hope you have a great visit and enjoy a Panthers game!!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I think you'll do just fine at Sailfish. Nice place and you'll get a sunset if you go early enough.

ETA after seeing Brian's response...I agree with not going to 3800 because of staffing issues Marriott Intl. seems to be having across the board. The service was terrible at the Marriott HHI resort, too, and only marginally better at the Mayflower recently. We went to 3800 last summer during the height of COVID and the food was meh as well.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here are a few initial observations:
  • Wish we had overhead lighting. Even though we have three lamps, it is somewhat dark by the table next to the sliding glass door.
  • Having problems finding plugs that are secure enough to charge our cell phones & computers. When we stick a cube into the lamps so we can charge our cell phones and lap tops, we've notice that it doesn't always hold the charge.
  • DW finds bathroom lighting too dark for makeup.
  • Sliding glass door has to be lubricated. It sticks when we open and close it.
We are at Ocean Pointe now too in a studio in Dolphin and I do agree with these assessments. We find that many outlets in timeshares are very loose. I don't know what it is. perhaps from years of being used all the time, but we have had times that plugs fall out of the outlet. It is nice to have one exposed on the bedside lamps. We do mostly drive to timeshare stays for several weeks at a time, so we tend to have a lot of stuff. There isn't a lot of storage to get things out of the way. Also not a lot of flat spaces to sit things. I have to charge plenty of things and there really isn't an ideal place to plug in cameras and such to charge. It would also be nice if there was a light on the ceiling fan.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_3190.jpeg

Went to Panthers game yesterday. First game for our DGD, who just turned 6. Perfect game for her. It was kids day. National Anthem was sung by 7 year old. Lots of pictures of kids on the overhead screen. The sight lines were good, parking was easy and the arena is fairly small. Game went into OT and ended in a shootout. The arena was pretty cold and it was nice to be able to go outside and catch some sun during the two intermissions.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent a very enjoyable week at Kingfish. Enjoyed meals at Sailfish Marina. The West Palm Food Tour is worth doing. We're glad we went to a Mozart concert at Krevis and visited Mounts Botanical Garden. It was fun to visit Manatee Lagoon. Make sure you go on a sunny day for visibility and pictures. There was only one manatee hanging around when we were there. Apparently there are a lot more in January and February. Also saw lots of barracuda and rays. Loggerhead in June Beach is under renovation, but we were glad to stop by on the way to Jupiter.

It's nice to walk around Clematic Street in West Palm. Lots of restaurants to choose from. Sandy, the Christmas Tree made of sand on Flagler Drive is lit up at night. Go to the Ben (Marriott Autograph Collection) to enjoy the view from the rooftop bar.

We walked around Oceana Palms and were happy to have spend a week at Ocean Pointe instead of Oceana Palms.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We spent a very enjoyable week at Kingfish. Enjoyed meals at Sailfish Marina. The West Palm Food Tour is worth doing. We're glad we went to a Mozart concert at Krevis and visited Mounts Botanical Garden. It was fun to visit Manatee Lagoon. Make sure you go on a sunny day for visibility and pictures. There was only one manatee hanging around when we were there. Apparently there are a lot more in January and February. Also saw lots of barracuda and rays. Loggerhead in June Beach is under renovation, but we were glad to stop by on the way to Jupiter.

It's nice to walk around Clematic Street in West Palm. Lots of restaurants to choose from. Sandy, the Christmas Tree made of sand on Flagler Drive is lit up at night. Go to the Ben (Marriott Autograph Collection) to enjoy the view from the rooftop bar.

We walked around Oceana Palms and were happy to have spend a week at Ocean Pointe instead of Oceana Palms.
It was nice to meet you at Ocean Pointe. Were you the ones that won the free food tour at the Welcome Reception?

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was nice to meet you at Ocean Pointe. Were you the ones that won the free food tour at the Welcome Reception?

Thank you. It was nice to meet you too.

We saw a notice about the welcome meeting in the elevator and signed up for the meeting via text early that morning. DW won the free food tour. It was BOGO. The tour is worth doing. The restaurants are very good and varied. We were full at the end of the tour. We learned a lot about West Palm. Kelly, the guide, gave us good tips about things to do and restaurants to go to.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now for your help. I'm meeting my cousin for late lunch/early dinner on Wednesday. He'd like to eat outdoors. Not looking to travel far since he's driving up from Delray Beach. Please give me your suggestions.
I was thinking about Sailfish Marina and 3800 Ocean

Also appreciate any other restaurant recommendations. We ate at Mulligan's last night. We enjoy walking and not driving to & from dinner. The meals (mahi & shrimp) were very good.

We have been going to OP every year since 2013 and just love the place. A few years ago we started going to Jupiter - it is a bit of a drive but worth it. There is a restaurant named UTiki that is outdoors and on the inlet and also you can book a $10 boat tour which is fun. And we discovered Guanabanas last year and it is a new favorite - very eclectic and outdoors and on the water also.

For a shorter drive, Captain Charlies is our favorite. Where the locals eat and we prefer to go for lunch.

But for a one time meeting - Guanabanas would be my choice - and go early !

Not a food suggestion but the Turtle rescue center in Juno is an annual trip we enjoy.

Last edited:

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been going to OP every year since 2013 and just love the place. A few years ago we started going to Jupiter - it is a bit of a drive but worth it. There is a restaurant named UTiki that is outdoors and also you can book a $10 boat tour which is fun. And we discovered Guanabanas last year and it is a new favorite - very eclectic and outdoors and on the water also.

For a shorter drive, Captain Charlies is our favorite. Where the locals eat and we prefer to go for lunch.

But for a one time meeting - Guanabanas would be my choice - and go early !

Not a food suggestion but the Turtle rescue center in Juno is an annual trip we enjoy.

Thanks for the info.

My cousin and I and our spouses met for lunch at Sailfish Marina. Ate outdoors and enjoyed it very much.

DW & I visited Loggerhead Marinelife Center in Juno. Lots of renovation going on. There were 5 turtles in the pools that we were able to observe. DW liked the gift shop.
Then we drove to Jupiter for a nice outdoor meal on the inlet during sunset. We picked Lucky Shuck because we were seated right away. We were very happy with the meal.
P1160032.jpeg
P1160035.jpeg
P1160066.jpeg

P1160071.jpeg