• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Grand Ocean

w.bob

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in the possibility of purchasing a timeshare unit on HHI. I have been reading about the Marriott's Grand Ocean and like what has been written. My wife & I enjoy HHI so we are seriously thinking of purchasing something we would probably use 2 out of every 3 years.

I am not very familiar with the Marriott Vacation Club but it appears that this resort uses a Platinum through Bronze season system. We decided the bronze would not be a good fit for us. The silver season is a better fit which I believe is Floating 5-12, 44-48, 51 & 52. We would not mind traveling to HHI mid march but not so sure about Nov and definitely not the end of Dec.

An even better fit would be to go either in mid Sept through Oct. or mid March through April which I believe would be the gold season.

Unfortunately the cost goes up accordingly. My concern is if we decides to purchase a silver season floating week at the Grand Ocean and did decide to exchange, how good of a trader would it be? How would it trade compared to a floating Gold Season unit? I guess I am trying to ask if it is worth the extra money to go with a Gold vs Silver Season based on the cost when it comes to exchanging.

We are still looking at what is available for resale at the Grand Ocean (also other HHI Marriotts) and are seeing a wide range in pricing. Although we have a lot to research about the Marriotts we had to start somewhere. Hopefully someone and give us some good info & or advice. Thanks

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You should buy what you will use. Thus, if you would be happy staying at Grande Ocean "2 out of every 3 years", in Silver season, buy it. If you would be wishing you were staying in Gold season, that's what you should buy.

Generally, Silver season will not trade well for other prime-season Marriotts compared to Gold season, but you'll get lucky and get some great trades occasionally. Also, some Silver weeks probably trade about as well - or better - than some Gold weeks. To see the relative demand for each week in each season, go to the Resort Directory at www.Intervalworld.com, find the Grande Ocean page and click on the "Travel Demand Index" on the right side of the page.

w.bob

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for the heads up about the travel demand index. I did not know it existed since I was never on the Interval site. It helps me a lot.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go with the gold, because it will be a better trader than silver, and Sept Oct will almost definitely be great weather, where the silver season may be iffy. If you don't really want summer like weather than maybe silver is OK for you, but keep in mind you will only be able to trade into other silver seasons for the most part.

The upfront cost will be around $10K-11k resale for gold but in the long run a much better value IMHO.

Regards.
Joe

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Do you know that I couldn't just say yes.. You have to have 10 characters!!!