• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

marriotts/aruba

rynker

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are all Marriotts in Aruba comparable and how hard are they to get into as far as an exchange through II?

rachel

TUG Member
Reaction score
The marriotts are fantastic. I have stayed at both. Exchange seems to be easier with the surf club, especially if you are willing to take a studio unit. I am already planning for thanksgiving 2009! We love aruba and the marriotts. I prefer the ocean club. Quiet, relaxing and a better beach. I got the ocean club last thanksgiving (a 1 bdrm.) 2 months out. There is availability at both with some 2009 weeks, early summer, may and june. But only studios available. You need to check early morning by 8am.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
They're both great - I prefer Ocean Club. The pool is less hectic - surf has the lazy river which has had some issues in the past. Come on over to the marriott board for more info.

Check out my picture trail for pics of aruba! It's GREAT!

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Marriott Ocean but have stayed at both. WIth kids, I prefer the Surf Club due to the lazy river. Ocean Club is quieter and their beach area is bigger and less crowded than Surf Club.

It's pretty easy to trade into Surf Club and possibly upgrade to a bigger unit within 59 days of checkin. I traded a 1bdrm for a 3bdrm during off season. Platinum season is a bit harder to get into without placing an ongoing request but it's not impossible.

Have fun and enjoy Aruba.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
They are both great resorts and if you do a forum search you will see a lot of different opinions as to which resort is nicer. It is a matter of personal preference, but you can't go wrong with either.

Very briefly, the main differences between them are the SC is newer, bigger, the villas are a little bigger, in room washer/dryer in 1 BR or larger villas, larger pool area with a great Lazy River, nice beach but more crowded because of larger resort and less palapas per keyed room than the OC. The SC is a high rise and views from some rooms are spectacular. OF, OS, OV and GV rooms.

The OC is a bit older, smaller property, 6 story buildings, OF and OV villas but palapas may block line of sight to water (not allowed with SC which is one of the reasons there are fewer palapas), smaller but quieter pool area, quieter beach (btw- the two resorts have adjacent beach areas), between the SC and the Marriott Stellaris so closer to the hotel, washer/dryers on floor but not in rooms.

The biggest difference is that the OC is quieter and the SC pool facilities are much nicer, IMHO; others will disagree and like the quieter pool better. The resorts are not sharing pool facilities and use wristbands to identify guests.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at and prefer the Ocean Club for the reasons cited above--quieter, smaller, less hectic, better beach availability. If you have kids though, SC would be the place for you.

susiequeve

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at both, the Surf Club is very nice (washer & dryer in room) but found the beach to be extremely crowded with cabana chairs we couldn't even see the ocean with the line of chairs at the water's edge. Prefer the Ocean Club because it's smaller, quieter & the beach is not crowded. The only problem was the seaweed at the Ocean Club beach, when we were there a few years ago, there was alot of it. I think you'd be happy at both, they're very nice resorts. After all you'll be in Aruba and that's all that matters. :D

rynker

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Do the studios have kitchens?

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
The studios have a bar area with fridge, microwave, toaster, dishes. No burners for cooking.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Do the studios have kitchens?

They have mini-fridge, microwave, sink.
By the way, we felt the bed was too small at Surf the one time we stayed in a studio (then we bought a 2 bed at Ocean - resale). The bed was like a double - not the size of a full queen.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Ellen- the beds in the lockout are definitely queen and not full sized at the SC.

dbear

Reaction score
Upgrading

I own at Marriott Ocean but have stayed at both. WIth kids, I prefer the Surf Club due to the lazy river. Ocean Club is quieter and their beach area is bigger and less crowded than Surf Club.

It's pretty easy to trade into Surf Club and possibly upgrade to a bigger unit within 59 days of checkin. I traded a 1bdrm for a 3bdrm during off season. Platinum season is a bit harder to get into without placing an ongoing request but it's not impossible.

Have fun and enjoy Aruba.

If you trade into a 1 bedroom unit, how do you upgrade to a 2 or 3 bedroom unit?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you trade into a 1 bedroom unit, how do you upgrade to a 2 or 3 bedroom unit?

I think they traded a 1BR unit in to a 3BR unit in off season. You can also trade in to a 1BR and if a larger unit becomes available that you can exchange for in II you can pay another exchange fee and get in to a larger unit.

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the 59 day window, if a larger unit appears in II for the week you are visiting Aruba, call II and tell them you would like to use you current exchange and get the larger unit. They will charge you the exchange fee again, but you will be able to enjoy the larger unit.