• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Webinar meetings - anyone join them?

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got invitation on email from MVCI (Marriott Owner Services) for classes online called Webinar. Has anyone joined up for these besides us :confused:

They offered classes on Marriott Reward usage and also Interval International exchange tips. Classes are free and I think start in January.

Figured there are always things to learn :ignore:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have been on two Marriott webinars, one of which I reported on two months ago. The most recent one was on Marriott Rewards points usage and, although presented at a very basic level, was interesting. Participation on both was very low - 30-30 people.

Former Cruiser

TUG Member
Reaction score
We joined 3 webinars right after purchasing in September. We found them very informative. One piece of information we found interesting was when you trade your week, view does not count or is guaranteed.

jasfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are they posted?

Can anyone advise as to where the notices are posted? I would like to participate.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Can anyone advise as to where the notices are posted? I would like to participate.

This is the e-mail we received. I guess it was prompted by our purchase this past year (re-sale) at ShadowRidge. We have owned at Barony Beach for over 10 years.

It is my pleasure to invite you to join fellow new Owners for a web based seminar (webinar) that will discuss how to exchange your Marriott Vacation Club week through Interval International to experience a new destination.

Each year, over 40% of Marriott Vacation Club owners exchange their week(s) with Interval International, our exchange partner. This webinar will cover the different exchange methods, comparability factors, the Travel Demand index, and tips and tricks to help you comfirm your vacation with Interval International. I am confident that you will have a greater understanding of how to maximize your vacation ownership with Marriott Vacation Club after participating in our webinar.

The webinar is complimentary: all you need is a computer with access to the internet. To register for our Owner Webinar, please click here and then click on the red "Learn about Upcoming Webinars" button.​

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
aja Julie: We have owned our Marriotts for years and yet received email -- so being a new purchaser didn't apply here.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, we were vacationing during your October comments. Would it pay to have a list of more advanced questions when I go on in January? We have used the Big Trip several times, turned back in hotel rewards, etc.

I guess what I am asking, would I benefit if this is ONLy fundamental lessons? Hopefully my bringing it up again, it may increase new owners to join it.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, they aren't posted. Some new owners that purchase from Marriott get invited (see above). Other owners receive an occasional invitation. I have received a few, but not the latest invitation referred to in the OP.

However, much (most?) of the info in the webinars is also available by logging into your MVCI account. Go to the "Understand Timeshare" link and click on topics of interest. Take your time and explore the rest of the MVCI site for a lot of very useful info. You can add to that info by checking out the FAQs for this Marriott forum. They are located at the top of the list of topics for this forum.

The primary missing webinar topic at those two web locations is how to best use your Marriott Rewards points. You can get a good education by going to MarriottRewards.com and clicking on “Use Marriott Rewards points”. Peruse the various Rewards, what they consist of and how much they cost. Also read the T&C at the link just above the solid line near the bottom of any Marriott Rewards page. And check out the various threads here, such as this older one, that discuss the use of Marriott Rewards points.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
DaveM: What about questions like splitting your DSV-I and turning the studio to II for exchange? I ran into difficulty this past year because I had first reserved the whole unit then months later decided to exchange studio for Four Seasons studio.

1. Does the FAQs cover complicated things like that?

2. Will the Web panel answer questions like that?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Would it pay to have a list of more advanced questions when I go on in January?
From a practical standpoint, I think you'll often get better, more complete answers here on this forum. Here's why...

The webinars typically last about 25-35 minutes. During the webinar and for a few minutes afterward, there is a team of Marriott personnel (other than the presenter, who talks as slides appear on your screen) ready to answer any questions you have via exchanges of text. You type in the question. Someone types a response back to you. There is limited time, so answers might not be as complete as you might get here. Also, your typed questions and the responses, if you so choose, can be seen by all webinar participants.

Also, on the webinar you get a response to your question from only one person. Thus, the Marriott people on the webinar should be able to answer technical questions accurately. But if your questions are along the lines of "What is your opinion of the best way to....", I think TUGgers will be a much better resource.

With all of that said, I found the webinars had accurate info, even if not complete. It's tough to be thorough in such a short time. As an example, my webinar on using Marriott Rewards points was held about a week after the announcement of the changes that will become effective January 15, 2009. The presenter had not planned to mention anything about the changes or even that there would be changes. It was only after I posed a question (for all participants to see) regarding the changes that the presenter came back - after the end of the presentation - and made a brief comment about the changes.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Cathy -

Adding, based on your most recent post....

The webinars are designed for basic general info and questions. The more complicated or personal-situation questions are probably best handled here at TUG or with a call to Owner Services. The webinar personnel who respond to questions are knowledgeable, but relying on what a single person tells you verbally (even if texted to you :) ) has some significant risk.