• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Vacation Club in 2020

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where will they be in 2025/30? Perhaps they may have announced a new resort by then. I don't see any acquisitions in the near future. Not II, if that happened would the other guys, Starwood and Hyatt, go over to RCI with II left with little in the way of prime resorts?

By 2025/30, unless Marriott goes into the luxury nursing home business, I do not think I will care. I might be in The Drooling Academy by then, and my kids - as of now, no grandkids, still saving up for their first house - do not care about timeshares. They will not even take a week from us, or God forbid - travel *with* us, and they are on *teacher schedules*, too. So if we can trade DC points of timeshare weeks for assisted living, that might be only thing that keeps us interested. (My smilies never work - I hope people understand that I am trying to be funny here . . . ) http://tugbbs.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
By 2025/30, unless Marriott goes into the luxury nursing home business, I do not think I will care. I might be in The Drooling Academy by then....

The question is.... even at the ripe old age you will be in 2030, will you be complaining about the view you got stuck with at your luxury nursing home. "I requested nursing station view and I got stuck with cafateria room view"..... :D

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Senior Citizens

My Mom is going to be 81 soon and she still enjoys traveling......so I am hoping with modern medicine...that we all have many decades to enjoy our traveling. I wonder what my $4500 in maintenance fees will have swelled to in 2040 ??

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I wonder what my $4500 in maintenance fees will have swelled to in 2040 ??

$9,700 per year, if they can hold at 3% annual increase.

$12,500, if they increase at 4%.

Don't ask about 5%. :doh:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
$9,700 per year, if they can hold at 3% annual increase.

$12,500, if they increase at 4%.

Don't ask about 5%. :doh:

The stroke you have when you get that invoice is what will send you to the luxury nursing home!!!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
By 2025/30, unless Marriott goes into the luxury nursing home business, I do not think I will care. I might be in The Drooling Academy by then, and my kids - as of now, no grandkids, still saving up for their first house - do not care about timeshares. They will not even take a week from us, or God forbid - travel *with* us, and they are on *teacher schedules*, too. So if we can trade DC points of timeshare weeks for assisted living, that might be only thing that keeps us interested. (My smilies never work - I hope people understand that I am trying to be funny here . . . ) http://tugbbs.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Well, Marriott used to be in the nursing home business. They got out of that early in the last decade. I don't see Marriott International or MVCI getting in to that.

We still foresee having 30 to 40 years of traveling ahead of us. So 2025-30 isn't unreasonable a date to look out through.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Something convenient to a Vermont Ski Mountain would be great too.....The Mad River Glen / Sugarbush section of the state is particularly beautiful or near Stowe. This is centered among NYC, Albany, Hartford, Montreal and Boston....where I presume there are many MVCI Owners that could use another 'drive to' location.

Marriott seems to be shying away from very seasonal areas for development. At least under the weeks based system, those low season weeks were a very hard sell. That is the problem with many norther areas, they are very seasonal with about 10-12 summer weeks which are peak and maybe a few winter weeks in ski areas. I don't think they have enough of a draw to make them worthwhile for Marriott to build.

skyequeen

Reaction score
Don't Hold Your Breath Waiting for New Locations

Recently during stays we talked with the managers of both Desert Ridge and Crystal Shores. Both said new buildings will be going up in 2015. Both have available land and apparently demand. So we think for several years Marriott will complete plans at existing resorts to add units at relatively low cost to satisfy a need for more units as they add more points users. They will also need to keep expanding those offers to use your points in various ways to keep you out of the units so they are available for points purchase. Combined with ROFR purchases, they might not need to add actual new locations for some years. And with the weeks owners getting older and their children out of the house, so that they give up their weeks more often, that strategy could work for a long time. Of course that is now what current owners want to hear.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I also agree with Puck and FT on this. I see MVCI keeping things asset light. 2020 is only six years out, so not a long time. Consider that MVCI still has additional planned units at the following resorts; Canyon Villas (39), Frenchman's Cove (66), Fairway Villas (90), Grand Chateau (477 about half under construction now), Harbour Lake (588), Ko'Olina (190), Lakeshore Reserve (245), Shadow Ridge (484), Willow Ridge (282). I would expect Frenchman's Cove and Ko'Olina to be the last to be completed, with perhaps Lakeshore the next that they resume construction at next (outside of MGC where it is in progress now)

Recently during stays we talked with the managers of both Desert Ridge and Crystal Shores. Both said new buildings will be going up in 2015. Both have available land and apparently demand. So we think for several years Marriott will complete plans at existing resorts to add units at relatively low cost to satisfy a need for more units as they add more points users.

It looks like we are in agreement. I had forgot about Crystal Shores. I believe that they have officially announced that they are resuming construction there. Either that or they have filed for permits. Interestingly, MVCI did not indicate that they were planning additional units there in one of their filings. The counts in my post were from a prior SEC filing.

They will also need to keep expanding those offers to use your points in various ways to keep you out of the units so they are available for points purchase.

I don't think Marriott can sell additional points just because someone uses their DC points for Explorer Collection. What they really do with that extra inventory is rent it out on Marriott.com to make the money back that they had to actually pay for the owner to utilize the Explorer option. Once a point is sold, it is sold. They can't resell it again because you use them for something else other than DC trust stays.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I don't think Marriott can sell additional points just because someone uses their DC points for Explorer Collection. What they really do with that extra inventory is rent it out on Marriott.com to make the money back that they had to actually pay for the owner to utilize the Explorer option. Once a point is sold, it is sold. They can't resell it again because you use them for something else other than DC trust stays.

That is correct. Like with weeks, they can't sell the same interest more than once.

skyequeen

Reaction score
Of course you are right that Marriott cannot sell more points than they have backed up by the trust. But they also need more inventory than a perfect match of timeshare units to the points sold. Points users want to use resorts that the trust doesn't have enough units in. And they want the difficult reservations to get in high season like school holidays. And they compete with enrolled owners for them. To keep everyone happy Marriott has to promote availability in the non-trust units. I talked to a woman at the owners cocktail party at Ocean Watch last year who bought substantial points just to get July 4th week with her family then found out how hard it was. I recommended she just look for that week resale and go to the TUG site and start learning. She had already scheduled a meeting with the Sales Department to voice her anger the next day. I also have friends who bought points and find they never get what they want because they cannot schedule far enough in advance. It doesn't fit their lifestyle or temperament. And the sales presentation made them think they could get what they wanted more easily. I feel terrible for them. Too many people complaining about this would be a marketing problem and impede sales.