• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Timeshare Third Party Purchase Limitations

rmckean

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just joined TUG and my wife and I are starting to look into purchasing a Marriott Maui Ocean Club timeshare through a third party (am currently checking out listings here and on ebay).

I wanted to know if anyone knew what limitations there were when buying a resale. Does the lower price outweigh the limitations? I know that you cannot exchange for Marriott Rewards points, but how about exchanging for another resort in the Marriott Vacation Club network?

Thanks

joepreston

Reaction score
No new implications....just the same "rip-off" that you can't trade for points if you don't use your week (big deal). If hear any changes , I will let you know!
Thanks,

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just joined TUG and my wife and I are starting to look into purchasing a Marriott Maui Ocean Club timeshare through a third party (am currently checking out listings here and on ebay).

I wanted to know if anyone knew what limitations there were when buying a resale. Does the lower price outweigh the limitations? I know that you cannot exchange for Marriott Rewards points, but how about exchanging for another resort in the Marriott Vacation Club network?

Thanks

All Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges are handled through Interval International and there are no restrictions on resale buyers when trying to exchange into another Marriott timeshare. It appears that Marriott will be moving to an internal trading system at some point in the next couple of years, but resale owners will almost certainly be grandfathered in. Buy resale.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
All Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges are handled through Interval International and there are no restrictions on resale buyers when trying to exchange into another Marriott timeshare. It appears that Marriott will be moving to an internal trading system at some point in the next couple of years, but resale owners will almost certainly be grandfathered in. Buy resale.

From going through the questionnaire a couple months ago, the resale ownership really isn't a question. Marriott looks to charge for the points system, so they won't want to cut out a potential customer base in the resale owner. No grandfathering needed because even new resale owners would be included. No guaranty, but likely.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
From going through the questionnaire a couple months ago, the resale ownership really isn't a question. Marriott looks to charge for the points system, so they won't want to cut out a potential customer base in the resale owner. No grandfathering needed because even new resale owners would be included. No guaranty, but likely.

I agree with you on the "no guaranty, but likely' part. I see no reason for Marriott to exclude resale owners. I'm just not 100% sure.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just joined TUG and my wife and I are starting to look into purchasing a Marriott Maui Ocean Club timeshare through a third party (am currently checking out listings here and on ebay)....

Welcome!!!!
In addition to the excellent comments made so far, as you read more in TUG you will see Marriott salespeople have made plenty of "threats" or "warnings" during their pressure sales pitch to others -- but it seems to be generally agreed that these are empty threats. Can things change in the future?... sure.... But who knows when and how?

In addition, take your time in looking over everything before pulling the trigger. Plenty of good deals out there -- and some bad ones ---- you will know this as you do your homework.

Since you mentioned Marriott/Maui and II in your posting, I will say that you need to consider how you will use your Maui TS. With the high MFs, you might only want to consider purchasing there if you plan to go there every 2 out of 3 years. Trading there on ocassion with a good Marriott trader (with less MFs) is something to consider...

Also you need to consider you needs for a 1BR vs 2- or 3BR lockoff, that would get you two weeks (from one) with the right II deposit/exchange.

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Welcome to Tug, btw, and congrats on coming here before buying directly and possibly regretting it.

I totally agree with all of the above posts, especially with the take your time and read lots of back posts on this Board. A few questions to keep in mind while making your decision:
-what is your family composition and will it likely change? Do you need a studio/1BR or do you need a 2 BR, and what will you need 5 or 10 years from now?
-when do you anticipate traveling? Are you restricted to school vacations or do you have flexibility and, again, what about 5 or 10 years from now?
-what is your job flexibility? Do you want/need to plan a year in advance, or more last minute?
-Maui is indisputably gorgeous. Where do you live? Will you want to make frequent visits there (for example, I live in NY and, while I love Hawaii, those 12 hour trips are not something I am willing to do annually or even every other year or so).

As posted above, Maui costs and MF's are high, so buy there if you are going to use. Keep in mind that trading in for a 1 BR or studio with a good trader elsewhere is not nearly as difficult as if you want a 2 BR July or August week, or other school vacation week. So, if you have a lot of flexibility and/or don't need/want a 2BR unit and only envision going once every few years, you may be better off buying elsewhere and trading in. But, if you want to be able to reserve a 2 BR a year in advance and know you've got it secured, then certainly buy there.

As for your original question- the only difference today between resale and developer purchases is the ability to trade your unit for points, of questionable value certainly after the upcoming points devaluation. While there is some disagreement and a little uncertainty on this, I am confident that whatever changes Marriott makes down the road will include all current owners being treated equally, if simply for the fact that they would not want to antagonize a large current ownership base. Along with the current economic conditions suppressing prices and Marriott hesitant to exercise ROFR because of the tightened credit market, that's one of the reasons I feel now is a good time to buy before any changes are implemented. There is a whole discussion on whether prices will continue to fall and there are arguments on both sides of that fence.

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only difference between purchasing a resale unit through a private party and purchasing either a resale unit at a sold out Marriott resort or a "new" unit at a resort that is not sold out through Marriott is the inability to trade your unit for reward points. That means that you must make some use of your unit every year either by using your week at your home resort, trading it for another timeshare, renting it out or banking it for future use. As a owner of three timeshares purchased through Marriott I was a big proponent of the points option. However since I have purchased I have been through two major points devaluations and my trading for points no longer brings me the value in trade that it once did so at this time I cannot recommend that the extra $ that you will spend to purchase from Marriott is worth it in the value you get from the points trade.

Steve60069

TUG Member
Reaction score
Longer purchase time when buying resale

Beside the inability to trade for Marriott points, the other potentially significant drawback to buying resale is that it takes much longer to complete the purchase and start using the timeshare.

We initially purchased directly from Marriott in October and were able to make a reservation immediately. Luckily, we then discovered TUG, and were able to rescind the purchase. After a bit of research, we bought the same thing on ebay for about $20,000 less. However, it's been about 8 weeks since we purchased and potentially several more months before Marriott recognizes us as the new owner.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What many resale buyers do is to ask the old owner to make a reservation for them. It's easy to transfer that reservation to the new owner. The old owner merely adds the new owner's name to the reservation when making the reservation.

If you want to deposit your week with an exchange company, you'll have to wait.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone gave you good advice. Welcome to TUG! There was ONCE upon a time that points made some sense. That was once upon a time. Now anything other than buying resale is wasting your hard earned money.

Take your time as you decide what you want to purchase. Remember the maintenance fees! If you're going to use Hawaii regularly, purchase there. If you're looking for a great trader, you can get something else for less up front and less annual fees.

Keep asking questions. :clap:

pghjoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question on trading

Is there a fee for trading your week and what is the charge to become a member in the trading networks?
Thanks

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I agree that a resale has potential to take "much longer", and likely will be somewhat longer -- that should not enter much in your thoughts, IMO. When buying resale, you need to know your first year of usage (and thus your first year of MFs), but you should also try to get the seller to secure a reservation that you could use (if not already done!)

In my current situation, I bought at MGO in early November, Marriott waived ROFR in a few days, and we closed in mid-December. My summer week was reserved by the seller long ago, and is now in my name. So at this point I don't really care if it takes Marriott a month or two to recognize me as the new owner.... I'm already packing 7 months early!!!:rofl:

Beside the inability to trade for Marriott points, the other potentially significant drawback to buying resale is that it takes much longer to complete the purchase and start using the timeshare.

We initially purchased directly from Marriott in October and were able to make a reservation immediately. Luckily, we then discovered TUG, and were able to rescind the purchase. After a bit of research, we bought the same thing on ebay for about $20,000 less. However, it's been about 8 weeks since we purchased and potentially several more months before Marriott recognizes us as the new owner.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
pghjoe -

Yes, there are fees. See the bottom section of the FAQs for this Marriott forum (located at the top of the list of topics for the forum) for all of the fees associated with Marriott ownership. Maintenance fees for each resort are in a separate "historical" database, also accessible in those FAQs.

Membership in II costs $84 per year; lesser amounts per year for multiple-year memberships.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is also a great website created by an owner that allows owners to trade Marriott to Marriott with no fees. I've used it (Tug has that option, too). Great way to go in as an owner without paying II fees. I didn't belong to II for quite a few years when I didn't need it.

http://www.ownertrades.com/