• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Resorts that are oceanfront

tgenerso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a list of Marriot Resorts that are oceanfront in the continental US?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In the continental US, I can think of the following; OceanWatch, Barony Beach Club, Surf Watch, Grande Ocean, Monarch at Sea Pines, Oceana Palms, Ocean Pointe, Beachplace Towers, South Beach Pulse and Crystal Shores (technically Gulf Front :))

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
In the continental US, I can think of the following; OceanWatch, Barony Beach Club, Surf Watch, Grande Ocean, Monarch at Sea Pines, Oceana Palms, Ocean Pointe, Beachplace Towers, South Beach Pulse and Crystal Shores (technically Gulf Front :))
Hi Dioxide45….Beachplace Towers are considered Ocean Front?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi Dioxide45….Beachplace Towers are considered Ocean Front?
I would say so. The only thing between the resort and the beach is the road. No other buildings.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would consider Newport Coast Villa (NCV) to almost be Ocean Front.......

Fabulous elevated views for sure!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I would consider Newport Coast Villa (NCV) to almost be Ocean Front.......

Fabulous elevated views for sure!

I was going to mention that one but I think to be considered ocean front, it needs to be close to the ocean. I think a resort that is 5-10 minutes from the ocean or even a few blocks from the ocean is not considered to be ocean front.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I would say so. The only thing between the resort and the beach is the road. No other buildings.

There are many other buildings between BPT and the road....see below.........also, after crossing the very busy road there's a heavily used sidewalk and short wall.
Looking out from the rooms at BPT toward the ocean everyone sees over these buildings, and the rooftops are NOT attractive. Flat-tops with A/C units, vents, etc.
And actually the 4th story "pool" has a taller solid wall that prevents a clear view of the ocean altogether -----you have to walk over and look over that wall to see the ocean...
It's by far the worst pool situation in the Marriott system---literally a small enclosed concrete playground that functions as a pool and a concrete floor to lay out.
Parking in the high-rise garage is a disaster. And the limited elevators (2) are so slow that many just give up, not to mention that there's always a crowd standing around to use them.
We traded in once, but left early at mid-week.

Ground views from in front of BPT:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There are many other buildings between BPT and the road....see below.........also, after crossing the very busy road there's a heavily used sidewalk and short wall.
Looking out from the rooms at BPT toward the ocean everyone sees over these buildings, and the rooftops are NOT attractive. Flat-tops with A/C units, vents, etc.
And actually the 4th story "pool" has a taller solid wall that prevents a clear view of the ocean altogether -----you have to walk over and look over that wall to see the ocean...
It's by far the worst pool situation in the Marriott system---literally a small enclosed concrete playground that functions as a pool and a concrete floor to lay out.
Parking in the high-rise garage is a disaster. And the limited elevators (2) are so slow that many just give up, not to mention that there's always a crowd standing around to use them.
We traded in once, but left early at mid-week.
I certainly agree that the resort is less than ideal. It is one of our least favorite in Florida and perhaps the entire MVC system. To be fair though, all those shops and buildings are all part of the Beachplace Mall and most are in fact connected to the same structure that makes up Beachplace Towers. That said, looking straight out from any of the units that face the ocean do provide full ocean front views. More than can be said for some of the other oceanfront resorts. Even the intracoastal views are pretty cool, better than looking at some man made pond. I don't think any of these detractors prevent one from considering it an oceanfront resort.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree Beachplace Towers certainly qualifies as an Oceanfront resort- just not everyone's cup of tea to be sure.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score

Does Grande Ocean and Monarch at Sea Pines have mostly oceanfront?

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
We vacation at BPT every year in mid January…we always stay in a high floor Intracoastal view…very nice view of multi million dollar homes that line the Intracoastal..and enjoy watching mega yachts cruise by…and the night time view of the skyline of Fort Lauderdale is stunning.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does Grande Ocean and Monarch at Sea Pines have mostly oceanfront?
Not really, unlike Beachplace Towers were about half the villas have wide open ocean views, Monarch and Grande Ocean only have a handful of villas with wide open ocean views (oceanfront). But each of them sit right on the ocean with just a short walk over the dunes to the beach.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really confused by this thread. My definition of Ocean Front is "the resort is on the ocean". The responses that dioxide45 is giving is more about ocean front views in terms of buildings. Can the OP clarify the question because the answer is very different if it is my definition vs. dioxide45.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I'm really confused by this thread. My definition of Ocean Front is "the resort is on the ocean". The responses that dioxide45 is giving is more about ocean front views in terms of buildings. Can the OP clarify the question because the answer is very different if it is my definition vs. dioxide45.
I think @dioxide45 was just responding to a follow up question from Lydlady. The original post from him answering the OP is accurate, depending on your opinion on BPT in Ft. Lauderdale.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really confused by this thread. My definition of Ocean Front is "the resort is on the ocean"...
I think it depends on where you are used to staying on your beach vacations. There are many places where there is a road that fronts the beach and there are no houses (or hotels) on the ocean side of the road...but nevertheless consider houses or hotels on that road 'Oceanfront'. For that matter many of the 'Oceanfront' hotels in South Beach are separated from the beach by Lummus Park as well as Ocean Drive.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Not really, unlike Beachplace Towers were about half the villas have wide open ocean views, Monarch and Grande Ocean only have a handful of villas with wide open ocean views (oceanfront). But each of them sit right on the ocean with just a short walk over the dunes to the beach.

Grande Ocean has approx 124 direct ocean view units----pretty much full views side to side, some 3/4 of that, and a much smaller few 1/2 of that.........
most are in the 4 oceanfront buildings, some are on the oceanside buildings from the high floors,
and a few are partial ocean views, but I only counted the ones that have at least "half" of the normal direct side-to-side OF views---still substantial.
I'm pretty familiar with these units, having stayed at GO about 90 times.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I think of “oceanfront” resorts as being directly adjacent to the ocean - step off the resort and you’re on the sand or a path over dunes/marsh to the sand. If that’s the case then, for example, Barony Beach is oceanfront while BeachPlace Towers is not. But if you’re looking for a view of an ocean from your unit, between the two BPT has many more units that will give you what you want despite BB's "oceanfront" units all full-on facing the ocean simply because BPT is a high rise with many more ocean-facing units.

Then you have to consider that the unit designations (e.g. oceanfront, oceanside, oceanvista which is unique to SurfWatch, etc) at the different resorts might mean different things at the different resorts AND that the views from individual units at the same resort that are designated the same are not at all consistent, and on top of that confusion there’s the fact that the reservation system spits out other unit descriptions (e.g. close to ocean, courtyard, etc) - all of which makes it impossible to find uniformity anywhere!

If view is important and you want to prepare yourself as best as possible, review the individual resort maps (thank you again, @dioxide45) for orientation to the ocean and then ask for the details about unit designations - there are already some very good often-used threads that get linked whenever these types of questions come up.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We stayed at the W last summer, which is a few blocks down from BeachPlace. They gave us a 2BR on a high floor. We were not oceanfront and I think the view would be ocean view based on how Marriott classifies views. However, the view was amazing. We could see the ocean very well and the intracoastal. A few blocks down, there are very expensive high end condos. There are also plans to open a Four Seasons residential condo building.

To be fair to BeachPlace, none of the expensive condos are directly on the ocean side. It is like that in many parts of Miami Beach too. People living in these expensive condos surrounding Beach Place all have to walk across the street to go to the beach. I would still consider these resorts and condos to be ocean front.

I have not stayed at Beach Place but we walked there everyday to buy something in the drug store on the ground floor. I am assuming if you are on a high floor at Beach Place that you would have an amazing view.

Tuggers have to remember the real estate in South Florida is aging now. The buildings on the beach are aging and also corroding due to the salt. We all know what happened in Surfside. When we were staying at the W, we noticed so any external areas of the building that seemed to need repairs. I think a lot of it was from the salt water.

Disclosure: I grew up in Miami. I have seen the pros and cons of growth from the 1970s.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think of “oceanfront” resorts as being directly adjacent to the ocean - step off the resort and you’re on the sand or a path over dunes/marsh to the sand. If that’s the case then, for example, Barony Beach is oceanfront while BeachPlace Towers is not. But if you’re looking for a view of an ocean from your unit, between the two BPT has many more units that will give you what you want despite BB's "oceanfront" units all full-on facing the ocean simply because BPT is a high rise with many more ocean-facing units.
You and I are on the same page.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You and I are on the same page.

To me, a street between the resort and the ocean would be like a dune between the resort and the ocean. We often stay at Pismo Beach in an RV resort where we are partial owners. There is a dune between the RV resort and the ocean. Technically it is ocean front but sometimes I question if it really is due to having to cross through the dunes to get to the beach.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Then you have to consider that the unit designations (e.g. oceanfront, oceanside, oceanvista which is unique to SurfWatch, etc) at the different resorts might mean different things at the different resorts AND that the views from individual units at the same resort that are designated the same are not at all consistent, and on top of that confusion there’s the fact that the reservation system spits out other unit descriptions (e.g. close to ocean, courtyard, etc) - all of which makes it impossible to find uniformity anywhere!

If view is important and you want to prepare yourself as best as possible, review the individual resort maps (thank you again, @dioxide45) for orientation to the ocean and then ask for the details about unit designations - there are already some very good often-used threads that get linked whenever these types of questions come up.
I did include Surf Watch on the list of oceanfront resorts, but one could say that if Beachplace isn't oceanfront, then Surf Watch certainly isn't either. From most of the buildings, there is a narrow (non busy) road to cross. The walk to the beach is probably about the same when you consider the elevator situation and walking through the Beachplace mall.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
We stayed at the W last summer, which is a few blocks down from BeachPlace. They gave us a 2BR on a high floor. We were not oceanfront and I think the view would be ocean view based on how Marriott classifies views. However, the view was amazing. We could see the ocean very well and the intracoastal. A few blocks down, there are very expensive high end condos. There are also plans to open a Four Seasons residential condo building.

To be fair to BeachPlace, none of the expensive condos are directly on the ocean side. It is like that in many parts of Miami Beach too. People living in these expensive condos surrounding Beach Place all have to walk across the street to go to the beach. I would still consider these resorts and condos to be ocean front.

I have not stayed at Beach Place but we walked there everyday to buy something in the drug store on the ground floor. I am assuming if you are on a high floor at Beach Place that you would have an amazing view.

Tuggers have to remember the real estate in South Florida is aging now. The buildings on the beach are aging and also corroding due to the salt. We all know what happened in Surfside. When we were staying at the W, we noticed so any external areas of the building that seemed to need repairs. I think a lot of it was from the salt water.

Disclosure: I grew up in Miami. I have seen the pros and cons of growth from the 1970s.
We did a MVC sales presentation at the W when we vacationed at BPT a few years ago…great selection of breakfast goodies..lol…we thought the W was very nice and my wife remarked that the units probably would have a great view