• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Resale Purchase and Exchange Questions

Gundy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been considering a purchaseof a Marriott for a couple years now. When Marriott rolled out their new program I figured I would back off and wait for the dust to settle. I am still interested in purchasing a Marriott unit but have some questions if someone could help me out.

1. What is a resort that will give me top grade trading power, is a 2 bedroom lock off, and has the lowest possible maintenance fees? (I have looked at Grand Chateau as I live in Utah in the past)

2. How has the availability been in II for Marriott resorts? Has it dried up quite a bit? I know I have seen sightings for some great resorts but most of them are under Marriott preference

3. What are the opinions of the new trading program that Marriott has put together? Is it a good viable option or is your best bet still to trade through II? Also, the only way to join that now is to purchase directly from the developer correct?

Any other information I can get you feel would help me would be greatly appreciated.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

I will try and sum up about 2 years of TUG threads here...

#1 Probably best bang for buck as pure trader with low MF that locks off is Branson, willow ridge. I am partial to plat Grande Vista. GC 2 bedroom would probably also work. You might lean towards GC as you can drive. From Florida I lean to GV

#2 General Consensus is that II inventory at the top end (HHI sumer, ski weeks, winter Hawaii, Summer NCV has dropped. All others have only dropped slightly. BUlk banking of primo struff is occurring closer or during Flexchange. The general thought is that II is alive but has becomemore dicey and less reliable

#3 The new DC points as pluses and minuses. Since you cannot purchase a Legacy week eligible for DCthe 'skim: is of no concern to you. The major drawbacks for a new purchaser of points are
#1 excesive cost
#2 high MF's
#3 a draconian resale policy
#4 lack of home resort and any gaurantees

That being said, I have snagged great stuff with points (Frenchman cove, hawaii, ski weeks etc) These points came from Legacy conversions

In summary,if you to play "Marriott" you need to purchase resale not eligible for DC program or buy Trust points.

I would vote for the former, getting some nice resale units in places you want to go and trade every so often. For example. Youcould pick up a ski week at Mountainside for $15K-$18K. It wouldcost you $70,000 pts to get a feb early march package of points that you could use inthis time. MF's on a resale approx $1200, $2800 on the 7000 pts needed for a feb week at Mountainside..

You can do a search of the Marriott forum...

Start with the "speculation" thread March 2010, and just follow along...

Gundy

TUG Member
Reaction score
am I able to choose the week that I deposit for exchange? How hard is it to book the best week to deposit?

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can select the week that you want for exchanging and you can do it on line. However you ust selection the option that says you are booking the week for your own use and not for exchanging. If you select the exchange option Marriott will automatically select a week and it could be of lesser value. If you select the week yourself as soon as you get a E Mail with the reservation # you can call II and deposit it and request a exchange.

How hard is it to select a prime week varies by resort. If you want July 4th at Hilton Head you better be up and on the phone early on the first available check in day for that week. Other properties good weeks are not as hard to obtain. I have booked MMC for the July 4th week at mid morning on the first available check in day so it really depends.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I own a Platinum Desert Springs II and used to own a Silver Branson Willow Ridge.

If you intend to get a Marriott TS for the absolute lowest possible MF, then Branson is a good move, but you need to understand something - it has literally zero trading power. Silver, Gold, Platinum - it doesn't really matter. You are not going to be able to exchange a 2BR Willow Ridge for a 2BR Hawaii in the summer. What Willow Ridge is great for is to exchange during Flexchange, when all available properties are visible to you. At that point, even a Studio can exchange for a 3BR Maui (assuming one is available).

Desert Springs, on the other hand currently resales for a very low price. You can find a 2BR Platinum on E-bay for around $1200-$2000. The MF for Desert Springs is only about $200 more than Willow Ridge, but a PLATINUM Desert Springs week continues to have great power. The key is that you have to reserve a strong week to offer. We just traded our March 2011 week (2BR) for a 2BR Ko Olina Summer week (which ended up being an ocean view!)

By the way, when I say Desert Spring Villas, I really mean any of; DSV I, DSV II or Shadow Ridge properties. If you buy a PLATINUM week, they are excellent traders. Non-platinum, not so good. These days, the resale premium for a Platinum is extremely small, so there's no reason to opt for non-platinum.

Also, if you are in the market for a Willow Ridge, be aware that getting rid of it can be expensive. Even a platinum has zero dollar value these days. Most sellers arr paying closing costs and sometimes even the first year's MF. So while it may cost you nothing to get, it will cost you quite a bit to let go.

The palm Desert properties still have positive resale value (not much, but some).

EDIT: You asked how hard it is to get a good week at your home resort. If you are persistent and are willing to call in the middle of the night every night for a week, you can get it. You have to understand that everyone else that owns your season probably wants those same good weeks that you do, so you are competing with them. You have to know exactly the day the week you want will be up for grabs and you have to call as soon as the phones open. Doing it online is a losing option.

I will offer one piece of advice - Desert Springs II has some units that are lockoff and some that are not. The lockoffs for desirable weeks are gone within a matter of minutes. These are taken by people who are going to split the unit and exchange both sides. If you are willing to forego the lockoff option and just reserve a straight 2BR, even the good weeks are easily available for many days after they go up for grabs. This will maximize your trading ability with the week as well.

When we started timesharing, we had these elaborate plans of buying the weeks with cheapest MF, splitting every week, and somehow getting three 2BR weeks in Hawaii every summer. We actually got that two years in a row, but it was absolute hell getting those exchanges, and was the cause of much hair loss. Now we always exchange 2BR for 2BR and have zero trouble getting what we want.

Regarding the Marriott points program, I wouldn't buy into it. Back when they were selling weeks, they promised value and stood behind the Marriott name. Since then, they have soiled the name by treating Weeks owners as second class citizens. They stopped performing ROFR, which allowed the value of the Weeks people owned to plummet to nothing. Yet now they want to sell you points that they swear have more value than the weeks that they used to push ever had. If you want to trust them, by all means, be our guest. TUG members know better.

Last edited:
E

EducatedConsumer

I've been paying attention to Marriott's inventory deposits to II since the Destination Club was introduced, and it sure appears that Marriott is depositing the majority of their "bulk deposits" inside of Interval's 60 day window. While Marriott may allege that doing this is in their client's best interests, I'd say that's a bunch of hogwash, and in truth, Marriott is holding back and hording inventory to make the Destination Club look more appealing than it may be to the DC's existing and future customers. In so far, this is not in the best interests of Marriott's legacy product owners, but Marriott's interest to create a facade to promote Developer sales.

And I trust you recognize that Marriott Vacation Club is no longer Marriott, but a walrus in a zebra's uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe all units at DSV I and DSV II units are lockoffs. The property in Palm Desert that has dedicated 2 BR's and lock offs is Shadow Ridge Enclaves. when I reserve at Shadow Ridge Enclaves online, I have to choose what kind of 2 BR I am requesting. I have never been given that option when booking my DSV II.

Gundy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me their experience trading grand chateau? Would that he able to pull a Hawaii summer week?

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Check out a tread at the top of the 3rd page entitled grand chateau owners!!!