• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Points Purchase Advice

tgattone

Reaction score
I've been evaluating a number of timeshares / vacation clubs. After a number of discussions with sales folks (and the valuable information on TUG) I determined Marriott Points fits best with my situation. Between speaking with a broker (for the secondary market) and the sales person (for a new membership) I discovered two surprising things:

1. the transfer fee is equivalent to double the number of points your purchasing at a $1 a point (the purchase of a 2,500 point program is a $5,000 transfer fee)

2. Marriott has the first right of refusal to buy the "contract" (for lack of knowing the proper term) if they deem it's a "good value". For instance there are several 2,500 point vacation club "contracts" for sale on the secondary market at or around $17,000 (the actual cost on the secondary is much higher because of the transfer fee). The cost of a new vacation club membership through Marriott at this level (2,500 points) is $32,000

My question is, does anyone have experience with trying to purchase on the secondary market where Marriott exercised their right to repurchase and thereby stopped the sale? I'm trying to assess how common this is.

Thanks you in advance

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
To answer your question I have not heard of marriott exercising ROFR on resale points.

Others around here will be contributing better advice as well.

Conventional wisdom on TUG is that purchasing points direct from Marriott is a bad deal. Don't do it.

You may want to buy a small resale package of points, then rent points from other owners to fulfill your points needs.

Like I said there are better points experts around here. So stand by for more comments.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I've been evaluating a number of timeshares / vacation clubs. After a number of discussions with sales folks (and the valuable information on TUG) I determined Marriott Points fits best with my situation. Between speaking with a broker (for the secondary market) and the sales person (for a new membership) I discovered two surprising things:

1. the transfer fee is equivalent to double the number of points your purchasing at a $1 a point (the purchase of a 2,500 point program is a $5,000 transfer fee)

2. Marriott has the first right of refusal to buy the "contract" (for lack of knowing the proper term) if they deem it's a "good value". For instance there are several 2,500 point vacation club "contracts" for sale on the secondary market at or around $17,000 (the actual cost on the secondary is much higher because of the transfer fee). The cost of a new vacation club membership through Marriott at this level (2,500 points) is $32,000

My question is, does anyone have experience with trying to purchase on the secondary market where Marriott exercised their right to repurchase and thereby stopped the sale? I'm trying to assess how common this is.

Thanks you in advance

HI.
Took me a minute to dig up my old post. Here it is: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1763359&postcount=3

This will give a concrete example of the resale points purchase cost.

In Short:

• Yes, there is certainly an MVC points ROFR. It's currently around $5 per point. Yes, they do exercise it (as reported by posters)
  • No, the fees are not 2x. The 'junk fee s' to Marriott are approximately $2 per point . Total $7 per point plus about $150 'other' fees
  • The minimum "junk fee" charge for resale points purchase is $3000. So, if you buy less than 1500 points, you will still pay $3000 ($2 per point for 1500 points) If you buy more than 1500, you will pay $2 per point.
  • Points can easily be rented for 'near' the cost of MF's; about $0.47 per point. So, buy minimum points and rent what you need above that.
There are currently (or were) 4 ways to get points:

1. Buy from developer
  2. Buy resale
  3. Buy 'bundle' of legacy week and matching points to re-qualify the legacy week (ending up at about $7 a point best case--may be dead now)
  4. Re-qualify legacy weeks by purchasing a minimum # of points from developer (2500 for 1 week, 3500 for xx weeks etc...) an ongoing program--may not be offered for new buyers???
That should answer your questions. I think GregT or Dioxide45 are tracking the current ROFR on points. You can search the thread for ROFR points.

Welcome to TUG my friend! :wave:

Last edited:

tgattone

Reaction score
I really appreciate everyones input. This helps me better understand my options and strategy.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I really appreciate everyones input. This helps me better understand my options and strategy.

If you have any specific questions, after reading the above, you'll get lots of advice from posters. Sometimes more than you want....:eek:

Anything the sales people told you is subject to 'selective interpretation' (others might call these outright-lies). Don't know how experienced you are, but you can also post here: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208742
and get answers that might help you.

I personally looked at the MVCI (DC points) system. I still am (resale), but the minimum investment of 10k plus $$$ MF's for a minimum number of points has kept me out of the market. Same for the re-qual option.

If you're serious about Marriott, consider a legacy lock-off. Lot's of good vaca for less $$$. Strongly depends on your vacation desires and needs, however. If you answer the questions in the post above (follow the instructions on the post) you'll get better information to help you with your decisions.

cheers!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
An important step in your evaluation is to determine where you want to go (most often), in what type of unit, and in what season. Then look at how many points it will take and calculate from there over 10-15 years, taking into consideration the upfront cost and annual maintenance fees.

Other than creative midweek or specialty weeks, its next to impossible to justify any DC purchase.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
HI.
Took me a minute to dig up my old post. Here it is: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1763359&postcount=3

This will give a concrete example of the resale points purchase cost.

In Short:

• Yes, there is certainly an MVC points ROFR. It's currently around $5 per point. Yes, they do exercise it (as reported by posters)
  • No, the fees are not 2x. The 'junk fee s' to Marriott are approximately $2 per point . Total $7 per point plus about $150 'other' fees
  • The minimum "junk fee" charge for resale points purchase is $3000. So, if you buy less than 1500 points, you will still pay $3000 ($2 per point for 1500 points) If you buy more than 1500, you will pay $2 per point.
  • Points can easily be rented for 'near' the cost of MF's; about $0.47 per point. So, buy minimum points and rent what you need above that.
There are currently (or were) 4 ways to get points:

1. Buy from developer
  2. Buy resale
  3. Buy 'bundle' of legacy week and matching points to re-qualify the legacy week (ending up at about $7 a point best case--may be dead now)
  4. Re-qualify legacy weeks by purchasing a minimum # of points from developer (2500 for 1 week, 3500 for xx weeks etc...) an ongoing program--may not be offered for new buyers???
That should answer your questions. I think GregT or Dioxide45 are tracking the current ROFR on points. You can search the thread for ROFR points.

Welcome to TUG my friend! :wave:

#3 above - "Buy 'bundle' of legacy week and matching points to re-qualify the legacy week (ending up at about $7 a point best case--may be dead now)"

is still available via marriott resale website or onsite presentation.

#4 above- Re-qualify legacy weeks by purchasing a minimum # of points from developer (2500 for 1 week, 3500 for xx weeks etc...) an ongoing program--

only applies if you bought resale outside of Marriott post June 2010 but before August 2015. Not sure if this program is still going. I opted for this back in September.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
#4 above- Re-qualify legacy weeks by purchasing a minimum # of points from developer (2500 for 1 week, 3500 for xx weeks etc...) an ongoing program--

only applies if you bought resale outside of Marriott post June 2010 but before August 2015. Not sure if this program is still going. I opted for this back in September.

I believe SeaDoc last posted that this was extended through 12/30/15 and I have not seen anything posted to say it was extended beyond that. I also believe when it was last extended, the points purchase requirement was increased to 3000, 4000 and 5500 respectively.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe SeaDoc last posted that this was extended through 12/30/15 and I have not seen anything posted to say it was extended beyond that. I also believe when it was last extended, the points purchase requirement was increased to 3000, 4000 and 5500 respectively.

Yes, this was the latest news I heard as well. Since I bought DP when they initially rolled it out, I didn't get any further emails of the extended deadline and new requirements.