• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott OceanWatch preferred building and floor?

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coronado Beach Resort, Fox Run, Coral Reef Beach Resort, Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines, Marriott Barony Beach, Sand Pebbles Resort, Westin Lagunamar
We are hoping to rent an OceanWatch week from an owner for July 4th week this summer. For those who love the MOW, what is your preferred building and floor? For the fireworks, we will probably go oceanfront, but not sure (knowing building/floor is only a request). Thanks!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL, be prepared to pay big dollars for a Fourth of July week ocean front villa. IMHO.

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coronado Beach Resort, Fox Run, Coral Reef Beach Resort, Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines, Marriott Barony Beach, Sand Pebbles Resort, Westin Lagunamar
Indeed. We may travel in June instead, depending on the cost. Either way, it certainly lt helps to hear from other tuggers!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Direct ocean front villas The Scallop, The Conch and The Starfish (only oceanfront villas).

Ocean Side Villas: The Scallop and The Conch

Play area for children Woodsy Area

The three villa building are The Maple, The Magnolia and the last villa built name is The Pine.

This Resort is A Ten IMHO.

To the OP, please read TUG Reviews and TripAdvisor Reviews.

Last edited:

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
OceanSide and OceanFront are great. The Maple and Pine buildings are great too, just further back away from the ocean. Obviously the higher the floor, the better.

While not 4th of July week, which is a great week to be there, because they do a fantastic carnival for kids that week only, there is someone that posted OceanFront July 5-12 on one of the many FB groups. I'm thinking he is a member of TUG too. The group I saw it in is called "MVC Deeded Owners No Discussion On DP".

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
We stayed in the Pine building last month and had a wonderful view of the ocean from our 10th floor unit. I would say that anything below the 9th floor for the back three buildings, you would be looking at trees and not ocean.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Even if you are renting from an owner, they may be able to put in certain requests but they aren't guaranteed and you won't likely know what you are going to get until you check in.

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I do remember that. It certainly doesn't hurt to make an informed request. Thank you!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, if you are booking directly with Marriott’s you can improve you chances of an ocean front villa. Please ask for a villa above the fifth floor.
Good Luck.

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. Renting from an owner of a platinum plus week may have a better chance of getting their building/floor request vs renting from an owner using points, correct? Or would it be different if it is a guest of the owner?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
OceanSide and OceanFront are great. The Maple and Pine buildings are great too, just further back away from the ocean. Obviously the higher the floor, the better.

While not 4th of July week, which is a great week to be there, because they do a fantastic carnival for kids that week only, there is someone that posted OceanFront July 5-12 on one of the many FB groups. I'm thinking he is a member of TUG too. The group I saw it in is called "MVC Deeded Owners No Discussion On DP".

If ocean front isn’t available is it better to go ocean side or ocean view?
I am assuming Oceanside means the sides of scallop and conch. What is next to those buildings that the balconies are actually facing? Is one preferable to the other?
If I choose ocean view could I end up in the tree buildings on an upper floor?
Booking with points so I think I’ll get what I book.
First trip there obviously.
Thanks!

Last edited:

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pedro47 noted the oceanfront vs ocean side buildings above. I believe ocean view is the higher floors in the back buildings. Lots of old threads can be searched that details this and provides an excellent map of the resort. From what I read, many love all three views for different reasons. I am looking to have an amazing ocean view since I am going to pay to rent from an owner.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pedro47 noted the oceanfront vs ocean side buildings above. I believe ocean view is the higher floors in the back buildings. Lots of old threads can be searched that details this and provides an excellent map of the resort. From what I read, many love all three views for different reasons. I am looking to have an amazing ocean view since I am going to pay to rent from an owner.

Thanks vmpt. I have read the thread and seen maps of the property. I was just asking luvourmarriott a few questions for myself since it sounds like they seem to have stayed at the resort before. Sorry to interrupt your thread I didn’t mean to be rude.
Maybe luvourmarriott would pm me if he has any info for me.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
We are hoping to rent an OceanWatch week from an owner for July 4th week this summer. For those who love the MOW, what is your preferred building and floor? For the fireworks, we will probably go oceanfront, but not sure (knowing building/floor is only a request). Thanks!

If going Oceanfront you best views by far will be in either the Scallop or Conch bldg but their are only a few oceanfront units in each of those buildings. The majority of Oceanfront units are in the Starfish which is all oceanfront units I believe.
I am assuming Oceanside means the sides of scallop and conch. What is next to those buildings that the balconies are actually facing? Is one preferable to the other?
Thanks!

No apologies needed here. Threads get off topic all day everyday. Definitely Oceanside versus Oceanview. We own Oceanside so we have stayed on all sides of the Conch and Scallop. You cant book individual rooms, only the view. But, you will get a pre arrival email where you can put specific request down or as a last resort call room control at OceanWatch. All of the Oceanside rooms have great views but our preferred is a high floor on the old JW side. Great pool and ocean views. We always request a high floor but not the top floor in any building because at OceanWatch the top floor doesn’t have roofs over the balcony.

Oceanview rooms are all located in the Pine or Maple and I believe above the eighth floor. We actually prefer those locations because of the Quiet Pool being closer but in Marriotts infinite wisdom we cannot request to stay in a unit of lesser view quality than what we own!

Whatever you end up with I am sure you will enjoy your stay. We look forward to our two weeks every year.

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you! No need for apologies regarding veering off topic on this thread...these should be helpful for everyone. :)

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Thanks!

I agree that ocean side is better than ocean view, but that is me. We prefer to be closer to the "main" pool and ocean. Others that enjoy the woodsy buildings usually prefer it for one of two reasons (that I've seen). First, it is where the Serenity pool is located, which is a "silent" pool, great to hang out at. Second, they have kids that prefer to be at the woodsy pool, which has a small water slide and splash area in the zero entry area.

The OceanSide views go like this.
Scallop facing north: Looking directly at the Grande Dunes Beach Club. This is a private facility, which is one of the many amenity center areas of a very large community called Grande Dunes, with homes from $300K - 2M+. It is a beautiful place. The low number villas, furthest from the beach, could have mostly tree view straight out, but still a angled view of the ocean.
Scallop facing south: Looks at the Conch building, and the main pool(s).
Conch facing north: Looks at the Scallop building, and the main pool(s).
Conch facing south: Looking down the beach and over the pools of the Marriott Resort hotel next door. This is a nice view as well. The only negative about this side, IMO, is the first floor could be looking at a brick wall and the shrubs that separate the two properties.

I definitely prefer Scallop. Mostly for parking purposes and access. In Conch, that is where the sales office is located. There is an entrance to the building on the 2nd floor where the sales office is, but they lock those doors after 5pm, because they close. So, you have to use the 1st floor entrance, which you could get to by a large staircase, or by driving down the parking garage to the basement. Parking anywhere near there is usually difficult, because there are few spaces, so you likely will be parking in the garage, which is outside the Scallop building.

Edited to add: This resort is actually pretty decent at documenting which view you had on each stay. They switch it up to give everyone a chance at lower/higher floors and pool/outer views. So, if you rent, you may not truly be able to request and get what you want unless it is lower occupancy.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I agree that ocean side is better than ocean view, but that is me. We prefer to be closer to the "main" pool and ocean. Others that enjoy the woodsy buildings usually prefer it for one of two reasons (that I've seen). First, it is where the Serenity pool is located, which is a "silent" pool, great to hang out at. Second, they have kids that prefer to be at the woodsy pool, which has a small water slide and splash area in the zero entry area.
Other reasons I like it back there is the parking situation, the pool decks also have move available deck chairs than main pool and the gym/indoor pool is located back there.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Each building has it's advantages. Being totally honest, I really could care less whether it's "oceanfront" or "oceanside." There are a few premium oceanFRONT rooms in Conch and Scallop that are nice, but chances are most would be assigned an oceanFRONT room in the Starfish Building... yes, it directly faces the ocean but you also would have the pool in view, so in my opinion it's not really that much different from oceanSIDE.

I agree with "LUVourmarriots" -- The only thing I don't like about Conch is the parking access. It's the same deck as Starfish and Scallop but it's just not as "convenient." But that is a very minor dislike.

We go often and I actually never request a specific building/floor because I'm truly happy with any of the units (we've only been assigned to garden view once-- and that was in late winter and the weather was rainy, so we appreciated the close access to the indoor pool and exercise room!).

We bought Myrtle Beach because that's what Marriott was selling at the time. We had every intention of buying oceanSIDE but there was no availability when we bought pre-construction, so we got oceanVIEW. Our plan was to go occasionally. It turns out we go a lot (often using points for short stays). My wife HATES Myrtle Beach but she LOVES OceanWatch. The joke in our family is that my wife doesn't leave the compound. A perfect day for her is when she takes long walks on the beach (she's got to be moving) and the activities department offers the popcorn bar. OceanWatch is her happy place.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

The OceanSide views go like this.
Scallop facing north: Looking directly at the Grande Dunes Beach Club. This is a private facility, which is one of the many amenity center areas of a very large community called Grande Dunes, with homes from $300K - 2M+. It is a beautiful place. The low number villas, furthest from the beach, could have mostly tree view straight out, but still a angled view of the ocean.
Scallop facing south: Looks at the Conch building, and the main pool(s).
Conch facing north: Looks at the Scallop building, and the main pool(s).
Conch facing south: Looking down the beach and over the pools of the Marriott Resort hotel next door. This is a nice view as well. The only negative about this side, IMO, is the first floor could be looking at a brick wall and the shrubs that separate the two properties.

I definitely prefer Scallop. Mostly for parking purposes and access. In Conch, that is where the sales office is located. There is an entrance to the building on the 2nd floor where the sales office is, but they lock those doors after 5pm, because they close. So, you have to use the 1st floor entrance, which you could get to by a large staircase, or by driving down the parking garage to the basement. Parking anywhere near there is usually difficult, because there are few spaces, so you likely will be parking in the garage, which is outside the Scallop building.

Edited to add: This resort is actually pretty decent at documenting which view you had on each stay. They switch it up to give everyone a chance at lower/higher floors and pool/outer views. So, if you rent, you may not truly be able to request and get what you want unless it is lower occupancy.

Thank you Brady I appreciate you taking the time to answer- exactly what I wanted to know.
I’ll have to talk to the family and see if they want a guaranteed ocean view which I guess puts us in the woodsy building or if they want to be closer to the beach but risk not getting much of a view depending on unit location with ocean side.
I’m booking with DC points so I’ll get what I book. This is our first trip to this resort although we have been to MB several times.

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Based on everyone's feedback we decided to save several hundred dollars an book an oceanside vs oceanfront week. Does anyone know if there is a difference between renting beach chairs and umbrella through MOW vs directly through the lifeguard service? Thanks

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, Ocean Front view is not worth the upcharge ($ or points) unless you can make sure of the specific building and/or building/floor location. We were deeply disappointed that we had a better view of the entrance of the hotel than of the ocean from our room in Starfish when we did a full points rental/reservation at OceanWatch late last summer. (Love the resort, dont agree with building view assignments and associated point allocations.)

FYI, we are not owners there, but that seemed to be the biggest determining factor for room assignment - even though we are Presidential, our voices were not heard -at all. Going forward, we will only reserve Ocean Side (1st preference) or Ocean View (2nd) at this resort, for this reason

And all that said, you may have better luck if you rent a week directly from a weeks owner...

Vicki

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Based on everyone's feedback we decided to save several hundred dollars an book an oceanside vs oceanfront week. Does anyone know if there is a difference between renting beach chairs and umbrella through MOW vs directly through the lifeguard service? Thanks

The chair prices are controlled by the City of Myrtle Beach, not the resort. You will love your Oceanside view regardless of what side of the buildings you stay on. If view is of major importance, request a high floor but, not the top floor. Top floors have no cover over them.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Thank you Brady I appreciate you taking the time to answer- exactly what I wanted to know.
I’ll have to talk to the family and see if they want a guaranteed ocean view which I guess puts us in the woodsy building or if they want to be closer to the beach but risk not getting much of a view depending on unit location with ocean side.
I’m booking with DC points so I’ll get what I book. This is our first trip to this resort although we have been to MB several times.

I re-read what I wrote, and I want to clarify one thing. The question that I was answering for you was, "What is next to those buildings that the balcony is actually facing?". So, my response for each view from the OceanSide units is literally if you stared straight out the balcony door. However, all of the OceanSide units have a view of the ocean, to the left or right, depending which way your balcony faces. Again, the only exception, that I know of, would be the first floor of Conch, facing south. First floor facing north has a view through the middle of the resort/pool area. We've had one of these units in the past and it was totally fine.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

For us that's a really subjective question and has varied trip by trip. View reviews from our experiences at MOW:

Ocean Front - IMHO, for close-up oceanfront the best units are those at the ocean-most ends of the Scallop and Conch building. Their oceanfront view is as close to the water as you can get at MOW. However, because those are short-rise buildings (5 floors +/-) with only 3 units on each floor facing the ocean they are hard to get. We've only gotten them once. For panoramic ocean views, the unit balconies on the top floors of the Starfish building are hard to beat (floors 14 and up). We've only gotten that once as well.

Ocean Side - The oceanside views from Scallop and Conch buildings have been great when we traveled with older kids since they are 'courtyard facing' and give a split view of the ocean as well as the Seaside, Kiddie, and Whirlpool Spa pools. We could check on the kids from our balcony and use the PA (Parent Announcement) system when we needed them to come upstairs. We've done this unit type a couple of times. As far as a floor preference, I guess it depends on how loud your PA system is.

Ocean View - We have spent more trips in this view type than any other. Floors 8 and above in the Pine and Maple building are considered Ocean View. It's a 5-8 minute walk to the beach, activity center, front desk, market, sales center, etc. However, from the Scallop, Starfish and Conch buildings it is a similar walk to the fitness center, indoor pool, serenity pool, heated outdoor pool, putting green, sport courts, kids/waterslide pool, and Treehouse kids play area (which are all near the Pine and Maple buildings). I would rate the balcony views from the top 4 floors of either building to be comparable to the views from the Starfish building (just not as zoomed in).

Garden View - We have stayed in this unit type once. The views were very green and lush. Our unit was near the serenity pool (which was lit up at night in different colors) and was enjoyable to sit on the balcony for a quiet evening and listen to the wildlife with the landscape lighting around the pool area.

In short, depending on what your interests are (fitness, quiet, kids activities, beach time) and travel situation (a couple, adult group, with kids, with grand-kids), which building will be the 'best' for your trip may vary. As far as going 'for the fireworks', we often go after Christmas and enjoy the New Year fireworks at Broadway at the Beach (which are early evening to be family friendly). We enjoy the fireworks while having dinner at one of the restaurants overlooking the BatB lagoon (which is where they launch them from). Just another option if July 4th doesn't turn out for you.

MOW is a favorite of ours. We've never been disappointed.