• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott - Hilton Head (Best Recommended)

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
We’re thinking about a drive to vacation ( although a long drive). We‘ve both been vaccinated, but are still being cautious. Neither of us are golfers. That said, for a Spring visit, sounds like GO would be best, but what would be missing if we stayed at Surfwatch or Barony? Sounds like Monarch may be a bit crowded, which might not be great these days.
never been to the area, so also thinking of day trips - what area highlights are reasonable? Are Savannah and/or Charleston good day trips, or better to tack on the beginning or end?
Tuggers always make great vacation planners- thanks for the input!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Both SW and Barony are further away from the action with less options in their immediate area though both are great resorts. We would prefer Barony for all but Garden view villas. They are better located for day trips though. Savannah is roughly an hour away, really slightly less depending on traffic. Charleston is a bit further. If I were going to Charleston I'd just stop en route and spend a couple of days rather than taking a day trip as it's in the range of 2 hours. Both are great places to visit and have some similarities. To me HHI is about Golfing, biking, the beach, nature walks, restaurants but most of all, relaxing.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Thanks Dean
i know there have been lots of posts about Sea Pines and biking. If not at Barony or Surfwatch has is there biking? I’d be more into the leisurely type, but Hubble is an avid rider.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dean
i know there have been lots of posts about Sea Pines and biking. If not at Barony or Surfwatch has is there biking? I’d be more into the leisurely type, but Hubble is an avid rider.
There is plenty of biking that direction but IMO it's much better in Sea Pines. Others are going to be more specific with the biking that way though.

Poette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We prefer Grande Ocean and Barony, but Surf Watch is also nice. Can't go wrong with any. Biking all over the island but Grande Ocean provides the pass into Sea Pines. Agree Charleston would be best for a stopover to/from Hilton Head, Savannah is a good day trip, Beaufort is also a quaint place to visit for the day, also Bluffton. The marine base, Parris Island, is near Beaufort but I'm not sure they are allowing visitors with Covid. Would recommend a trolly tour if visiting Savannah. Also agree that Hilton Head is best for relaxing. You will enjoy it!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Thanks Dean
We were at Barony in November and saw a decent number of cyclists on the paths and local roads on the north end of the island, some with some pretty good eqiupment/kits and motoring along. There was a 20+ cyclist group ride doing around 25 mph on one of the back roads, so it can be done. The bike trails in Sea Pines are too recreational (read: kids, dogs, slow-moving bikes and walkers) if you're looking to move around at a good clip.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Can anyone describe current state of affairs on HHI ?
We're booked for mid April at Barony (driving) and are wondering what will be open both there and the Island in general.
Feb 18 is drop dead date for cancellation without penalties.
We will both be fully vaccinated by then.
CDC is saying don't travel at all . . . .Thanks

We’re thinking about a drive to vacation ( although a long drive). We‘ve both been vaccinated, but are still being cautious. Neither of us are golfers. That said, for a Spring visit, sounds like GO would be best, but what would be missing if we stayed at Surfwatch or Barony? Sounds like Monarch may be a bit crowded, which might not be great these days.
never been to the area, so also thinking of day trips - what area highlights are reasonable? Are Savannah and/or Charleston good day trips, or better to tack on the beginning or end?
Tuggers always make great vacation planners- thanks for the input!

I don't think you need to worry one bit about which resort is "safer" or less crowded for Spring,
as they're all going to be the same, and that is, safe!
Last June it was safe, and in August, and in September...we were here all of those times. We practiced safe protocol, and felt fine.

And as for now on the island, it's great. We've been at Grande Ocean for two weeks and it deceivingly seems like a ghost town.
The guests are here, they're just staying in.
The parking decks are full, and occupancy is still significant-----
but you never run into anyone except when the weather is really good, and even then there are only a smattering of couples
out walking or biking.

I believe any of the Big Three resorts, and Monarch too, will all be a similar experience.
Monarch is crowded at the beach during Spring Break weeks and in summer, as they all are......
but maybe a bit more because of the Sea Pines Beach Club being adjacent.
But it's possible to avoid that by going down the beach 30 yards.
From now to April it's fine, and not any higher than another resort....later on it's proportionally higher.

Restaurants on the island are generally not very busy, maybe a few couples dining at any given time, depending on the restaurant.
Most all of them do practice safe distancing of tables. We feel very safe, and continue to dine out every meal.
We went to Poseidon for lunch today and it WAS crowded, but we sat on the fireplace side, an adjacent seating area,
in a booth, and no one else was there. We do tend to pick uncrowded times at all the restaurants....
we go early and request isolated tables, and that works. And we pick places that we know are OK.

Most everybody at Grande Ocean (and it's the same at all the resorts) stays in to cook meals.
We seldom even see people, maybe in a parking deck or walking around a pool, but the feel is of a deserted resort even though we know it's not.

Traffic on the island is always heavy, even now, but at the resorts it's different......seemingly quiet, no crowds at all anywhere, and very safe.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
update on Harbour Club-- picking up the parking pass at the Sea Pines building and avoiding the fee is for owners. We are using a getaway and Kendra at the front desk tells me we have to pay the fee once. She said to leave our second car at Harris Teeter and pay one fee and then pick up the two parking passes and then go back out and get the second car.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
update on Harbour Club-- picking up the parking pass at the Sea Pines building and avoiding the fee is for owners. We are using a getaway and Kendra at the front desk tells me we have to pay the fee once. She said to leave our second car at Harris Teeter and pay one fee and then pick up the two parking passes and then go back out and get the second car.
Bummer. We were staying at Monarch on DC points. Not sure I understand why they wouldn't just let you pick it up regardless, it seems that the parking pass would be for the length of the stay, so why not just let you pick it up at the gate. Unless that costs them extra?

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
"The bike trails in Sea Pines are too recreational (read: kids, dogs, slow-moving bikes and walkers) if you're looking to move around at a good clip."

As a local and a bike rider I agree. The riding in the Coligny area and in Sea Pines is filled during the summer with family groups where the oldest haven't been on a bike in 30 years and the youngest are just starting. Definitely to be avoided. Mid-Island from the Barony, or the Surfwatch, if you go West on 278 and make the a right on Union Cemetery Rd. (it will be the first right after you get to 278 from the Barony) you can then ride with few cars and even fewer bicyclists. As you make a right on to Union Cemetery you'll see an an African American cemetery on the left. The road will dead end into to Dillion Rd where you make a right. At the intersection with Beach City Rd there will be a Black church on your left and an historic Black school on your right. Make a right and on your right past some new houses and a kennel will be Mitchelville Freedom Park, https://exploremitchelville.org/discover. There is a gazebo in the park that overlooks the salt march where you can often see lots of long legged birds. The land in the distance viewed from the gazebo is Port Royal Plantation where the Barony is located outside the gated community.

After touring that, go back out to Beach City Rd, make a left and cross over Dillion Rd. A few yards on your right will be Fort Howell http://www.hiltonhead-sc.com/fort-howell.html. Across from Fort Howell is a runway for HHH. Sometimes there is a plane waiting to take off. Leaving Fort Howell go to the right and you'll get back to 278 in a few miles. There will be a circle stay to the right.

Hilton Head is rich in African American history. Take advantage of it. All of this will be on bike paths with many more interesting things to see then in Sea Pines and Coligny and is less dangerous with fewer other riders and less car traffic.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
"The bike trails in Sea Pines are too recreational (read: kids, dogs, slow-moving bikes and walkers) if you're looking to move around at a good clip."

As a local and a bike rider I agree. The riding in the Coligny area and in Sea Pines is filled during the summer with family groups where the oldest haven't been on a bike in 30 years and the youngest are just starting. Definitely to be avoided. Mid-Island from the Barony, or the Surfwatch, if you go West on 278 and make the a right on Union Cemetery Rd. (it will be the first right after you get to 278 from the Barony) you can then ride with few cars and even fewer bicyclists. As you make a right on to Union Cemetery you'll see an an African American cemetery on the left. The road will dead end into to Dillion Rd where you make a right. At the intersection with Beach City Rd there will be a Black church on your left and an historic Black school on your right. Make a right and on your right past some new houses and a kennel will be Mitchelville Freedom Park, https://exploremitchelville.org/discover. There is a gazebo in the park that overlooks the salt march where you can often see lots of long legged birds. The land in the distance viewed from the gazebo is Port Royal Plantation where the Barony is located outside the gated community.

After touring that, go back out to Beach City Rd, make a left and cross over Dillion Rd. A few yards on your right will be Fort Howell http://www.hiltonhead-sc.com/fort-howell.html. Across from Fort Howell is a runway for HHH sometimes there is a plane waiting to take off. Leaving Fort Howell go to the right and you'll get back to 278 in a few miles. There will be a circle stay to the right.

Hilton Head is rich in African American history. Take advantage of it. All of this will be on bike paths with many more interesting things to see then in Sea Pines and Coligny and is less dangerous with fewer other riders and less car traffic.

Enjoy.
Yeah, Steve. We were walking along that road when we saw the paceline. We turned around at Dillon (we were on a walk) but I wish I had my bike. I really enjoy wandering on my bike.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you interested in Civil War History, Hilton Head was home to Mitchelville https://www.hiltonheadisland.org/gullah/the-mitchelville-story/. Had the military been allowed by Washington to carry out their plans for the freedmen, The Port Royal Experiment, things might have been very different. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Royal_Experiment

One of the most important battles of the Civil War took place on Hilton Head, just a few miles from my house in the now gated part of the Port Royal community. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Port_Royal

This is a good summary of the Civil War forts on the Island. Note that they were earthworks so little remains. In my rides around our community I often go around Fort Sherman which still has raised earth fortifications now covered with shrubs and trees.

Last edited:

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
While we have stayed at almost all of the HHI resorts, Heritage and Harbour Club are still favorites of ours (we own Heritage but have stayed as often at HC). Great SeaPines location -- our family really likes to walk to Harbour Town, Greg Russell concerts (summer), iconic lighthouse, etc.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, Harbour Club is one of the most underrated Marriott timeshare resort. Wonderful units and a perfect location if you want to be on that part of the island. Also, small so not a lot of activity at the pool/grills. You can literally walk 100 yards to get to several restaurants and less than half a mile to many others. Sunsets are amazing.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain why Sea Pines is so desirable? We stayed at Grand Ocean this August (LOVED IT) and went into Sea Pines and just didn't get the hype.

Thanks!

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sea Pines is truly behind a gate so it somewhat quiets down after dark, but when its busy, its busy. I view Harbortown as somewhat of a tourist trap, but its cool also and there is always a lot going on. Same thing with the Salty Dog. Then there are some things that you won't see much or at all on the rest of the island, for example Baynard Ruins, Lawton Stables, Harbortown Golf Links, a Gullah family graveyard with recent burials, tree houses (on Deer Island), and lots of bike paths. I wouldn't trade ocean front for staying off the ocean, but if you are going to do so the Marriotts in Harbortown are better than the ones at Shelter Cove IMO.

The reason that Grande Ocean is so good is that you get passes to go to Sea Pines if you want or if you don't want to go you don't have to go. The whole area from the Ocean Gate around Coligny Circle to the main gate has more great things to do and places to eat than anywhere else on the island.

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sea Pines is nice for HarbourTown, the lighthouse, Greg Russell, and just a beautiful area for walks, bikes or beach. When Heritage included the Sea Pines golf, including Harbour Town, it was the best deal in timesharing, at least for golfers. Now, with second-rate courses, it’s nice but nothing special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk