• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Gift Cards and Vistana

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
I am surprised WKORV wouldn't accept Marriott gift cards. What if someone rented a room via Marriott.com and intended to pay the front desk this way?
When I called WKORV South the front desk stated they "do" accept Marriott gift card
for food, beverage, etc. charged to room.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
When I called WKORV South the front desk stated they "do" accept Marriott gift card
for food, beverage, etc. charged to room.
My apologies. I misread your post - need to get that coffee to wake up! Great news because we own WKORVN and buy food at the pool.

Last edited:

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
My apologies. I misread your post - need to get that coffee to wake up! Great news because we own WKORVN and buy food at the pool.
No problem, I just didn't want you to miss out on buying them to use for charges to the room! We look forward to using them at WKORV/N also!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am also thinking about cabana rentals...Now...if only it works for maintenance fees... :ponder:

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
somebody posted this on flyer talk, I am not sure how accurate it is though, it is from 2001:

"What exchange rates are applied when traveling outside of the United States?
We actually use the Bank One's banking system to handle our exchange rates,
which are typically more favorable than those rates posted at the front
desk. When the card is applied during check-out, the hotel will used the
hotel's posted exchange rate to make sure the card is not 'over spent'. The
charge applied to the card will be done in the local currency, then
converted back to US Dollars immediately back here in the US. You can call
the Customer Service number to find out your balance at any time, as well as
your last 5 transactions. Again, the conversion rates used by our bank will usually be favorable to you when compared to the posted rates at the
hotels."
From 2001 is probably meaningless now. Back before 2010, or somewhere around there, Marriott changed gift card vendors. Their old cards were really just a Visa debit card hidden in a gift card design. The CVV code could be identified by something on the card. There were posts about it in the Marriott forum since many people used them to pay MFs once they knew how to enter the card information in to the website to apply a payment. With a completely different vendor, there is no telling how these work now.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Okay. I found that thread from 2010. People bought up the cards because Marriott was offering bonus MR points at the time. You could then use the card to pay your MFs. Again, they were just a Visa debit card and came with all the problems that they do. If your card was for $100 and your room charge was $107.50. Declined. Same PITA problems you get when some bozo decides to give you a Visa gift card for your birthday or holiday. You ended up with a bunch of cards with small balances unless a vendor knew to and could charge the exact balance left on the card.

Edited to Add: Reading through that old thread. You had to add a 4 to the beginning of the card number and there was a four digit code that was the expiration date. There was no CVV printed on the card but Marriott Vacation Club didn't require a CVV at that time in order to make a payment.