• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Frenchmans Cove Taxes

kdorward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received the actual tax bill for Marriott's Frenchmans Cove. Letters have gone out about the taxes being sent out. Anyone buying in St. Thomas will have back taxes to pay. Alot of the Marriot units have never had the taxes paid so they will have to pay a few years worth of taxes. I am just wondering what that will be for a unit purchased in 2005.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received the notice from Marriott. We have not received any tax bill from the USVI. Not a current or back tax bill. The email said the amnesty program ends on Sept 30, 2008. I was going to call Marriott on Thursday (first opportunity) and make sure I understand the email correctly and what I need to do.

As far as back taxes for new owners, I believe Marriott will be responsible for back taxes upto the date of purchase. I will ask them this question when I call.

I had no idea this tax issue existed. Hopefully it will be resolved painlessly.

kdorward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe we would be responsible from the date of purchase. We purchased in 2005 so we will probably owe 3-4 years of taxes. Anyone buying a St. Thomas unit now thru resale will probably get stuck with the back taxes. I thought they were being paid each year. We didn't receive the actual bill either, just the letter like you received.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a follow-up regarding the tax issue. According to MVCI member services: we pay taxes beginning the first use year. (For us the first use year was 2007 even though we purchased pre-construction in 2005.) Now this is where it gets murky, whoever owns the property on Jan 1, XXXX pays taxes for the prior year. Example: My use year begins in 2007 therefore I am listed as the owner beginning Jan 1, 2007 so I pay taxes on 2006 even though I did not have use in 2006. To further complicate things, the current tax bill they are collecting is for 2006! I called the USVI Tax assessor's office and spoke with a very nice woman named Juanita. She confirmed that we owe taxes beginning in 2006 since we were listed as owners on 01/01/07. She also said that the statements were sent out this week. FYI our tax bill is: $166.03. She also confirmed that we do not owe any delinquent taxes.

Also the number in the email from Marriott is wrong. The correct number for the Tax Assessor's office is: 340-776-8505.

I hope this helps another owner. I must say I was very disappointed with owner services. When I first started asking questions, the rep had no clue what I was talking about. I had to read him the letter. I finally got the information I needed after being placed on hold for 13 minutes...I timed it with my phone.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Further follow-up. As a matter of coincidence after my prior post I went to my mailbox and there was my tax bill for FC!! It was exactly as Juanita said. Taxes were for 2006 in the amount she gave me earlier. No delinquent taxes. FYI it is due 9/22/08.

Even though the tax rate is pretty high, I feel much better receiving something in black and white.

kdorward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that $166.03 for one year. That is really high if that is for one year. Is the tax bill for one year.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
i just received my tax bill today on a 2bdrm. $436.17 for tax year 2006. It states the minimum tax on residential property is $300.00. I bought in November '05 and closed in March '06. First usage was the week it opened in February '07. Lots of questions but I'll have to wait until Tuesday when the assessors office is open. I'd like to hear from a board member on this one but they are mostly, if not all, Marriott employee's at this time so I don't hold a lot of hope for that response.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Just posting as a comparison - Wyndham St Thomas at Bluebeard's BeachClub, my studio units last tax bill (for 2005? or 06??) was for $60, there is then a studio loft - taxes unknown to me and a 1BR, 1/5BA with taxes close to $200 a year

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,

Is tax assessed on purchase price? If so, we own 2 bedroom silver season and that could be why our taxes are lower.

Please post after you speak with the assessor's office.

kdorward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tax bill has two columns, assessed land which is $0 and assessed improvement which is $20,300. This is on a 2bdrm gold week that I bought in 2005 for 23,900. I wasn't expecting this much in taxes. This is just the 2006 taxes I guess we will soon get the 2007 bill and then the 2008 bill.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tax bill has two columns, assessed land which is $0 and assessed improvement which is $20,300. This is on a 2bdrm gold week that I bought in 2005 for 23,900. I wasn't expecting this much in taxes. This is just the 2006 taxes I guess we will soon get the 2007 bill and then the 2008 bill.

You are talkin' island time here - I have yet to get my 2006 tax bill - they have routinely been several years behind.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jim,

Is tax assessed on purchase price? If so, we own 2 bedroom silver season and that could be why our taxes are lower.

Please post after you speak with the assessor's office.

Yes, it is or rather 'assesed value'.