• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Desert Sprinds, how easy is it to trade?

djplaw123

Reaction score
I am a New member. I have the opportunity to buy a prime week at Marriott Desert Springs Villas II -- two bedroom highest week time -- for an awesome price (have looked at many secondary sales sites and this really is a great price) from a dear friend. He has 8 Marriott and is getting older and reducing his inventory. Anyway, this resort is not my kind of place. We SCUBA and like Hawaii, USVI, Turks & Caicos and the like.

Can anyone give me thoughts on how easy it will be for me to get the places I like in Marriott inventory trading for the Desert Springs site?

Obviously this is not a good deal if I cannot go where I prefer with reasonable ability to trade.

Thanks. Dee

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can do a search and there are other posts of people who have been very happy with their trades from this resort. While I originally thought that the resort was not my thing either because I do not golf, I had a very enjoyable week here in May including a great mountain bike tour. If the price is right buy it and you will not regret it. You will probably get three trades a year with II - a one bedroom trade, a studio trade and an AC for the one bedroom side.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at DSV-I. Went to Kauai Beach Club this past July with trading DSV but it did take a sacrifice -- after 4 months of waiting I finally lowered my request to a one bedroom in Kauai and had to give up my 2 BR Feb. week.

I was very limited because we had a confirmed specific week in Maui that we needed to merge with it.

There is a Marriott owner website -- Ownertrades.com that are free trades among only Marriott owners. Check it out.

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to this property often and it would be a great trader, especially if you book highly desirable weeks during your season. That gives you greater trading power. So booking President's week and spring break are in high demand.

I think you should buy it! Your won't be disappointed and with the Marriott 24 day priority that will help you get your trades too.

Janna

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've owned DSVII for over 12 years. When we bought, we thought we'd always trade as we're beach people also. We did trade for points in the first few "use years" (We own EOY), but now LOVE using it during Spring Break. Heck, we even buy Getaways during the summer! Anyway, this past year was the first time I tried trading it through II. If your not having to travel during the peak school vacation times I think you'd do well. I got a 2bd Ko'Olina with our studio lockoff! Of course that was within the 60 days from travel window, but still fantastic! Oh, we gave up an Easter week and got the last week of May.
Go for it! But...what happens with ROFR in a "friend's" sale? What if Marriott wants to buy it back??
Good luck!

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
We've owned DSVII for over 12 years. When we bought, we thought we'd always trade as we're beach people also. We did trade for points in the first few "use years" (We own EOY), but now LOVE using it during Spring Break. Heck, we even buy Getaways during the summer! Anyway, this past year was the first time I tried trading it through II. If your not having to travel during the peak school vacation times I think you'd do well. I got a 2bd Ko'Olina with our studio lockoff! Of course that was within the 60 days from travel window, but still fantastic! Oh, we gave up an Easter week and got the last week of May.
Go for it! But...what happens with ROFR in a "friend's" sale? What if Marriott wants to buy it back??
Good luck!

Yes, ROFR should be a concern if the price is a smoking deal. Perhaps he should consider "gifting" it to you. If you then choose to repay the favor of the gift in someway, that is your choice. I am of course not suggesting anything illegal. Just worth a conversation for the two of you since you are good friends. Good Luck!

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a summer week at DSV II and have snagged the following trades:

Kona Coast -3 times- 2 bedroom units -one at Thanksgiving and two in the summer (deposited 2 bedroom twice, and used 1 bedroom side once)

Marriott Kauai Beach resort-2 bedroom summer week, got exchange one year to the day in advance (deposited 2 bedroom unit)

Waikiki Banyan-1 bedroom unit summer week (deposited Lockoff studio)

Maui Schooner - 1 bedroom unit (deposited 2 bedroom unit, waited 8 months for 2 bedroom then just settled)

Waiohai-2bedroom unit -the week after Thanksgiving (deposited 2 bedroom) and a week in October (using an AC for a labor day week deposit.)

Hope that helps.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
jlr10: Did you get Kona Coast thru II exchange or another exchange company? TIA

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
jlr10: Did you get Kona Coast thru II exchange or another exchange company? TIA

We used II for all of the trades. Kona Coast owners can book 2 years in advance. Our first trade there took one month to obtain, requested 12 months in advance. The second trade was confirmed 2 years to the day in advance (using our studio), and the last one was requested 12 months in advance, confirmed 8 months in advance.

Hope that helps.