• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Credit Card

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
So I was under the impression previously that with the RewardsPlus program I would be able to set my Marriott Rewards card to earn United miles on purchases. Turns out that the mile option only applies to hotel stays and other card purchases can only earn Marriott points. So with the extremely unfavorable exchange rate from Marriott points to United miles is there any reason not to just get a United credit card and convert the earned miles to Marriott points in the unlikely case that I would need to?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I was under the impression previously that with the RewardsPlus program I would be able to set my Marriott Rewards card to earn United miles on purchases. Turns out that the mile option only applies to hotel stays and other card purchases can only earn Marriott points. So with the extremely unfavorable exchange rate from Marriott points to United miles is there any reason not to just get a United credit card and convert the earned miles to Marriott points in the unlikely case that I would need to?

Unless you want marriot silver status or earn towards a higher status with spending. Marriott stays earn more marriot points then spending on a united card would. Also the few annual night is worth more than the annual fee.

I have the club card which gives 1.5 united mile per dollar spent. I use my marriot card once in awhile just to give it some use or if I am paying marriot.

Other hotel branded credit cards offer a higher earning rate on a different category but marriot is just with their hotel.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Converting points between programs is not usually a good use of points. If you want United Miles, get the MileagePlus Explorer card. Don't try to earn MR points to convert to miles, a bad use of MR points IMO. I don't know if you can even convert United miles back to MR points.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Other hotel branded credit cards offer a higher earning rate on a different category but marriot is just with their hotel.

Not true. The Marriott card also earns two points per dollar on restaurants, airlines and car rentals.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. The Marriott card also earns two points per dollar on restaurants, airlines and car rentals.

Okay. I do recall that. I guess I forgot as marriott points are just worth more than hilton and ihg. I use my hyatt card for restaurants. Or chase sapphire first friday of the month or chase freedom 1 quarter a year.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
Converting points between programs is not usually a good use of points. If you want United Miles, get the MileagePlus Explorer card. Don't try to earn MR points to convert to miles, a bad use of MR points IMO. I don't know if you can even convert United miles back to MR points.

I'm not looking to earn points just to convert, but I want to get the most value and flexibility and I know for sure you can transfer 50K United miles to Marriott points (1:1) per year. I am underwhelmed by the value of Marriott Reward points for anything other than hotel nights and converting them to miles seems like a bad deal apart from the travel packages. I am trying to get a better sense of the relative value of the points and if anyone has a better recommendation for choosing a point strategy.

jtdillian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard the Marriott Credit card earns 17 to 20 rewards for every $1 spent at a Marriott stay. And this converts to 17 to 20 United or American miles when using a travel package. That sounds better than any airline credit I ever heard of!!!!:cheer:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard the Marriott Credit card earns 17 to 20 rewards for every $1 spent at a Marriott stay. And this converts to 17 to 20 United or American miles when using a travel package. That sounds better than any airline credit I ever heard of!!!!:cheer:

Credit card earns 5 points for dollars at marriott stays. The other points come from actually staying at the hotel. Air and hotel is a good use of marriott points.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Travel packages are the best use of points IMO. Of course, you get a hotel cert as part of a travel package. So the most miles you can convert is 120,000 as part of a travel package. Though that might mean spending north of 300,000 MR points.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Credit card earns 5 points for dollars at marriott stays. The other points come from actually staying at the hotel. Air and hotel is a good use of marriott points.

We are finding that in SOME years, using Marriott points that we got from trading in unused timeshare property IS a good use of those points - but ONLY if you convert them as part of a vacation package, hotel and miles. (I held onto an erroneous position WAY to long, I found out!) These do NOT have to be used for the same vacation - we will take a train (nearby, easy) to Washington for 5 days, mainly so we can move a LOT of Marriott points into Delta SkyMiles - fee free. If you just want to transfer points into airline miles, it is NOT so cheap to do so! Since we take other trips outside of timesharing, periodically we find ourselves with extra property, and rather than go thru the hassle (for us) of renting it out, we convert to Marriott points - the old-fashioned hotel kind - because we have uses for them, too. Since they never expire, they are like that 10 pounds of meatloaf in my big basement freezer - you never know when you will find it handy. We have converted property into Destination points, too - often as part of a smart, shoulder-season usage - but a few times found ourselves with UNUSABLE leftovers ( there's that meatloaf again . . ). We seldom buy ANYTHING online without checking the Marriott Rewards shopping site - where you can often get multiples on points - or the Delta SkyMiles shopping site. We also just got a second pair of Delta cards - for the 50K in bonus miles they gave me after only spending a thousand dollars. We try to keep the flow going between HIS account and MY account of SkyMiles, because we do not want to pay to transfer miles back and forth even between ourselves - because THAT costs, too. So we plan ahead, and keep track of what card to use when, to reach a goal - and get nice bonuses, too. To have to PAY to use something that I earned, or was given through loyalty, is foolish - a little thought, and you find smart ways to make those cards sing - or at least hum a little. There are folks here that are top card holders, point categories, and REALLY smart about those top levels - but we think we are pretty efficient for OUR level. One pair of Delta Platinum (husband primary); *reverse* (wife primary) pair of Delta Gold; black Marriott card. Have a stack of others, but never use them - why? Right now, we need no more property, no more super-duper points, no more cards - we are fine because we finally are paying more attention to what we have, and how to use it. Works for us - your mileage may vary.
M

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to earn points just to convert, but I want to get the most value and flexibility and I know for sure you can transfer 50K United miles to Marriott points (1:1) per year. I am underwhelmed by the value of Marriott Reward points for anything other than hotel nights and converting them to miles seems like a bad deal apart from the travel packages. I am trying to get a better sense of the relative value of the points and if anyone has a better recommendation for choosing a point strategy.

We figure a Marriott hotel point for $0.0125. Checking Business class and First Class on overseas flights, we find that in some cases each then-converted SkyMiles (fee-free - travel package portion) comes out to 2 to 3 cents a SkyMile. Varies with the flight - but the high-cost tickets are the best use. Adn other people have different ways of looking at the math on this - as long as it isi positive, I am good.

Mamianka

Mamianka

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Travel packages are the best use of points IMO. Of course, you get a hotel cert as part of a travel package. So the most miles you can convert is 120,000 as part of a travel package. Though that might mean spending north of 300,000 MR points.

I agree, although you can get 132,000 miles if you choose United miles as part of the travel package.