• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott acquisition of Interval International

eellerman

TUG Member
Reaction score
How will Marriott's acquisition of Interval International going to affect Westgate (or other timeshare company) owners?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How will Marriott's acquisition of Interval International going to affect Westgate (or other timeshare company) owners?
MVW (Parent company for MVC) purchased ILG (Parent company of Interval) back in April of 2018. There hasn't been a whole lot that has changed.

I think a primary reason why MVW bought ILG was to get Vistana, and they got an exchange company that had a large membership base and pretty good margins (with memberships, exchange fees, ePlus, upgrade fees, etc).

Interval just recently raised rates, but they were probably overdue in comparison to RCI.

I would actually expect Interval to raise the price of membership by about $10+ per year in the next 6 months or so...simply because they can.

So far it has been business as usual, and I would expect that to continue.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So far, II has lost one big timeshare system. Diamond Resorts pulled out and created their own exchange company, DeX. I beleive DeX also obtains some inventory from RCI. As for some of the other timeshare companies. It is hard to say. Westgate really isn't a competitor on the hotel side of things, so I suspect they don't care too much. They are also targeting a different demographic of owners. I doubt owners will be impacted much unless the other companies want to change affiliations. Though even when that happens, they still have the option of using the previous exchange company. Thus the reason why some Marriott resorts also trade in RCI.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Wyndham had RCI, Marriott has II, Hilton has DeX so the big three are setting up to compete head on. Any bets on who is next to be bought- westgate and Bluegreen are the biggest independents i guess?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Wyndham had RCI, Marriott has II, Hilton has DeX so the big three are setting up to compete head on.

Let's hope HGVC/DRI launch DeX as a real, full-service online exchange. I believe that would perhaps improve the lethargy we have seen in the II and RCI competition.

I am sure we will see additional mergers and acquisitions. But I expect things are set for Marriott, Wyndham, and Hilton to be the big three for the foreseeable future.

In addition to the time share companies you mentioned, I wonder if Vacation Village is ever viewed by any of the larger players as something to be acquired.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Let's hope HGVC/DRI launch DeX as a real, full-service online exchange.
The only issue I see with DeX is their tier pricing structure. Makes some exchanges very unappealing and no real credit when exchanging down unless you really exchange down and can get 2 for 1.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Wyndham had RCI, Marriott has II, Hilton has DeX so the big three are setting up to compete head on. Any bets on who is next to be bought- westgate and Bluegreen are the biggest independents i guess?
Isn’t Westgate something of a dog?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Their resorts are supposed to be pretty good. Sometimes the rooms are in rough shape. Their sales practices are abhorrent.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

I think the resorts are kinda hit or miss. There are some great resorts like the Park City property. I think the same is true for BlueGreen as well.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
MVW (Parent company for MVC) purchased ILG (Parent company of Interval) back in April of 2018. There hasn't been a whole lot that has changed.

I think a primary reason why MVW bought ILG was to get Vistana, and they got an exchange company that had a large membership base and pretty good margins (with memberships, exchange fees, ePlus, upgrade fees, etc).

Interval just recently raised rates, but they were probably overdue in comparison to RCI.

I would actually expect Interval to raise the price of membership by about $10+ per year in the next 6 months or so...simply because they can.

So far it has been business as usual, and I would expect that to continue.

As a reminder, in the purchase of ILG, MVC also got Hyatt Residence Club. And also recently purchased Welk.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
II is not any better than DeX (in this regard) for people with a regular account that trades weeks.

I wish both II and DeX would adopt the RCI TPU type system.

But just having a DeX that works as it does that is expanded to an open system would be a good thing. I hope with 3 competitors there will be pressure for all of them to up their game.

The only issue I see with DeX is their tier pricing structure. Makes some exchanges very unappealing and no real credit when exchanging down unless you really exchange down and can get 2 for 1.

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a reminder, in the purchase of ILG, MVC also got Hyatt Residence Club. And also recently purchased Welk.
As a HRC owner I have seen some pluses to this. My last three II trades have all been prime season Marriotts.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
II is not any better (in this regard) for people with a regular account that trades weeks.

I wish both would adopt the RCI TPU type system.
All my RCI trades have been in points from HICV and Worldmark. They have excellent trading power. But I'm not sure how TPU's work or even if they apply for points/credits?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Points is like TPUs used in an RCI Weeks account in that a value is placed on your deposit that can be used as currency in trading. If you get 60 TPUs for a deposit in RCI Weeks, you can book 2 trades at 30 TPUs each instead of just one.

You can also pay to combine TPU deposits in RCI weeks.

With a regular II account (the mini systems that trade in points are different) you are limited to 1:1 trades. You can trade into a lesser unit if you wish, but there is no “change” left that can be used to book something else.

All my RCI trades have been in points from HICV and Worldmark. They have excellent trading power. But I'm not sure how TPU's work or even if they apply for points/credits?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a HRC owner I have seen some pluses to this. My last three II trades have all been prime season Marriotts.
When doing an Ongoing search, ILG will take whatever the best deposit is. I think Hyatt beats out just about anything that is outside of preference since they are points. I've had good luck with trades as well.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When doing an Ongoing search, ILG will take whatever the best deposit is. I think Hyatt beats out just about anything that is outside of preference since they are points. I've had good luck with trades as well.
I think since Marriott purchased Hyatt, we get priority access to Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think since Marriott purchased Hyatt, we get priority access to Marriott.
I am not aware of any Hyatt to Marriott priority or preference period like there is Marriott to Marriott. The only preference for Hyatt is Hyatt to Welk and there is also a Welk to Hyatt priority preference.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not aware of any Hyatt to Marriott priority or preference period like there is Marriott to Marriott. The only preference for Hyatt is Hyatt to Welk and there is also a Welk to Hyatt priority preference.
Maybe not, I’m not sure where I got that, but my Hyatt has been a great trader with them.

Last edited:

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn’t DeX built using some type of relationship with RCI or pulls some inventory from it?

Capital Vacations platform, Global Exchange is built the same way. It has a lot of the RCI getaway weeks listed in it.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Isn’t DeX built using some type of relationship with RCI or pulls some inventory from it?

Capital Vacations platform, Global Exchange is built the same way. It has a lot of the RCI getaway weeks listed in it.
I think they must because they show non-DRI resorts in there directory.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My understanding of DeX:

1) Everything consumer facing for those exchanging within DeX is branded as DeX

2) It functions as a true full exchange for exchanges taking place within the greater DRI community (points owners and weeks owners trading weeks across the system … but does not yet include HGVC)

3) For exchanges where one of the resorts is outside the DRI system, it is DeX on the consumer end and it is interfacing with RCI on the back end.

4) The way 1-3 work above, only enough DRI inventory is deposited into RCI to offset people in DeX (DRI) trading outside the system into RCI inventory.

5) The uniqueness of this system is that none of it is RCI branded and HGVC/DRI could grow it out and away from RCI if they want

6) It is only like $150 for an online exchange versus the $259 RCI charges

7) I have no idea what the DRI/RCI contractual arrangement is, but DRI/HGVC have leverage — they are by far the largest non-Wyndham timeshare system dealing with RCI.

I think they must because they show non-DRI resorts in there directory.

Last edited:

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
Global Exchange is very similar, internal trades are $159 & RCI is $189. CV is subsidizing those to get trades & I expect that rate to increase over time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
7) I have no idea what the DRI/RCI contractual arrangement is, but DRI/HGVC have leverage — they are by far the largest non-Wyndham timeshare system dealing with RCI.
I would think there is some anti competitive clause in their contract that would prevent DeX from trying to affiliate with any resorts already affiliated with RCI. If RCI were to lose HGV, it would just be a shell of small independant resorts and may fade into obscurity.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I read today in one of the Interval FB groups that someone is concerned/heard that Marriott is going to be outsourcing the interval call center to India. Can anyone confirm the validity of this? Is it possible that Marriott is taking interval call center employees to staff the VSE/MVC phone lines in anticipation of a new program? I’m sure they expect “higher than usual call volumes” when they roll out the new program enhancements

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I read today in one of the Interval FB groups that someone is concerned/heard that Marriott is going to be outsourcing the interval call center to India. Can anyone confirm the validity of this? Is it possible that Marriott is taking interval call center employees to staff the VSE/MVC phone lines in anticipation of a new program? I’m sure they expect “higher than usual call volumes” when they roll out the new program enhancements
Do they already outsource the Vistana and MVC call centers? I hardly ever call.