• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marco Island: Things to do?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
In February we will be going to Marco Island for the first time. Besides the beach, what is there to do around there? Are there public golf courses nearby? What are some good restaurants? I plan on taking a boat tour thru the Everglades, but would like some other suggestions to fill up a week. I'm looking for suggestions for a couple, in their late-50's, as well as for a family of 4 that includes a 4 yr old and 1 yr old. Thanks.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Go here

Visit the web sites to decide which activities and restaurants you want. I also recommend the Naples Zoo.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I can help you narrow down your choices once you decide what you might want to do. I wouldn't make recommendations now without knowing more about what you want to do. Whatever you decide, DO plan on a boat trip (or maybe 3). You can't enjoy Marco without getting out on the water. If you want a fancy dinner on a 90 foot yacht, book the Marco Princess. To see the critters, book the Dolphin Explorer, to see the back water and 10,000 islands, I suggest Island Gypsy Excursions. The best way to see the area is book a guided wave runner tour. GET out on the water!

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Last year we took a catamaran sailboat tour out of Capri Island and it was a blast. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the boat / tour company.

Kurt

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My notes from 2012 say that we played golf twice at Hammock Bay (which we liked the best), twice at Rookery (which we also liked very much), and once at Eagle Lakes (which was not as memorable). The greens at the first two were some of the nicest I have ever played at----very 'true'. We paid a discounted fee of $75 then for morning times-----their web site now shows $219 !!!
(ezlinks has some $107 after 3pm).

We visited the Naples Farmer's market on Saturday, but liked the Marco one on Wednesday better----not sure if either is still in operation.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We visited the Naples Farmer's market on Saturday, but liked the Marco one on Wednesday better----not sure if either is still in operation.
Marco's farmer's market is alive and well. We were there 2 weeks ago and it was great.

Kurt

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
In February we will be going to Marco Island for the first time. Besides the beach, what is there to do around there? Are there public golf courses nearby? What are some good restaurants? I plan on taking a boat tour thru the Everglades, but would like some other suggestions to fill up a week. I'm looking for suggestions for a couple, in their late-50's, as well as for a family of 4 that includes a 4 yr old and 1 yr old. Thanks.
Black Pearl Pirate Tours sunset cruise is great with music, reasonably priced. I prefer to stay on the top deck, so get there early.

Farmers Market, fresh produce, food vendors, crafts, music, a must. My favorites are the fresh mozzarella cheese, gluten free crab cakes, gluten free falafel balls, vinegars, tomato’s, strawberries, handmade beaded items especially the key chains, Metal art, oh I can go on and on

Naples zoo, I keep going

Naples Botanical Gardens, another favorite, if you are a Bank of America customer there are days where you can get free admission, listed on the botanicals website.

Cafe de Marco is my favorite restaurant , as well as my partners, higher end restaurant. It is in the old Marco area. Service is fabulous. The jumbo pawns and potatos are expensive but worth. They provide free taxi service to and from where you are staying on the island, call prior to arrange.

Another restaurant that my family likes is Snooks Inn. Last time I was there I had the lobster tails and I was surprised how good they were.

CJs on the Bay is another favorite. When we are there during the Holidays we have always gone to CJs. I always get the seafood platter.

I also do like to cook in my unit, between my purchases at the farmers market and “the Paradise Seafood and Gourmet Market” I make great seafood meals. They have high quality seafood.

Now with running around to see attractions don’t miss the beautiful beaches and fabulous shell collecting.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Black Pearl Pirate Tours sunset cruise is great with music, reasonably priced. I prefer to stay on the top deck, so get there early.

Farmers Market, fresh produce, food vendors, crafts, music, a must. My favorites are the fresh mozzarella cheese, gluten free crab cakes, gluten free falafel balls, vinegars, tomato’s, strawberries, handmade beaded items especially the key chains, Metal art, oh I can go on and on

Naples zoo, I keep going

Naples Botanical Gardens, another favorite, if you are a Bank of America customer there are days where you can get free admission, listed on the botanicals website.

Cafe de Marco is my favorite restaurant , as well as my partners, higher end restaurant. It is in the old Marco area. Service is fabulous. The jumbo pawns and potatos are expensive but worth. They provide free taxi service to and from where you are staying on the island, call prior to arrange.

Another restaurant that my family likes is Snooks Inn. Last time I was there I had the lobster tails and I was surprised how good they were.

CJs on the Bay is another favorite. When we are there during the Holidays we have always gone to CJs. I always get the seafood platter.

I also do like to cook in my unit, between my purchases at the farmers market and “the Paradise Seafood and Gourmet Market” I make great seafood meals. They have high quality seafood.

Now with running around to see attractions don’t miss the beautiful beaches and fabulous shell collecting.

Thanks! These look like great suggestions!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
This is a great thread with my trip coming in May.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I heard their is a boat which seasonally runs down to Key West for the day; could be an easy, scenic way to get there....... Should be a fun time!

Not worth it, unless you stay overnight in Key West. 3 hours down, 3 hours on Key West, then 3 hours back. Not a good deal when you're on Marco. If you want to see Key West, plan on at least 3 extra days.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Last year we took a catamaran sailboat tour out of Capri Island and it was a blast. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the boat / tour company.

Kurt
That would be COOL BEANS (as seen in my Marco Review post) - very highly rated, but in February, take a sweat shirt and maybe sweat pants as it gets cold over the water in the winter!

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a fresh seafood market and great stone crab try Kirk Fish Company in Goodland about 5 miles from Marco
They also have several Bars and restaurants
They will also crack the crab for you-fine if you are eating later that day but not the best option if your keeping for a while
We went to The Big Bar for lunch . We sat by the water and the food was very good.
Do not have an opinion on the other establishments

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a fresh seafood market and great stone crab try Kirk Fish Company in Goodland about 5 miles from Marco
They also have several Bars and restaurants
They will also crack the crab for you-fine if you are eating later that day but not the best option if your keeping for a while
We went to The Big Bar for lunch . We sat by the water and the food was very good.
Do not have an opinion on the other establishments
Where is the Big Bar? I ate at the Little Bar.

Last edited:

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are right Little Bar it is.
It is a lot bigger than it looks more restaurant than Bar

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
For anyone who has visited the Everglades (especially in February)... is bug repellent recommended?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For anyone who has visited the Everglades (especially in February)... is bug repellent recommended?
Always have bug repellent. Conditions can vary from year to year. Unfortunately for some, like me, I don’t know I am bitten until after the fact, so taking the precaution upfront for me is best.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never used bug repellent in Florida, spend oct to end of May here

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have never used bug repellent in Florida, spend oct to end of May here
You are lucky. There were times I got lots of bites and my other half didn’t and the other way too. If there is a wind it is safe for me, cooler weather too. The everglades also was the specific area in Florida asked about so that was what my answer was for.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are lucky. There were times I got lots of bites and my other half didn’t and the other way too. If there is a wind it is safe for me, cooler weather too. The everglades also was the specific area in Florida asked about so that was what my answer was for.
Mosquito population very high and they are very large in Wisconsin, cannot even go outside

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Mosquitoes aren't a problem in winter - no rain, no standing water, no skeeters. Some beach areas are prone to no-see-ums, but that's not an Everglades issues. OK, buy a bottle to take with you, just in case, but I doubt you will need it. Come back in September - THEN you will!

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I was concerned about the Everglades. I read one tour description that said the price included bug repellent and it never occurred to me I might need it because I never needed it in Florida before. But I only go in February/March and maybe the bug repellent is only included on tours in summer. (?)

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Bring your own.
If you go anywhere near the Glades in Summer, you can encounter swarms.
Running from building to building is not fun.