• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MarBrisa Good Deal or rescind

Crazych66

Reaction score
Hello first post here.

My wife and I just purchased from HGV MarBrisa and am not sure if we got a good deal.
We purchased a 1br Gold season for 3400 points every other year, with 8000 bonus points and 50,000 Hilton Honors points.

Sales price - $12350
Closing Costs - $995
MF/year - $897

After reading here, not sure this is a good deal. We have until 10 June to rescind. We intend to use the points of travel to other HGV resorts and to use RCI. Probably won’t use the home resort much.

Any feedback is welcome!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Rescind first and then come back and learn more. I would figure you could get the same contract as it is a gold 1br for free or almost free. This is with seller paying closing costs and transfer fes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Crazych66

Reaction score
Thanks for The feedback!
Rescind first and then come back and learn more. I would figure you could get the same contract as it is a gold 1br for free or almost free. This is with seller paying closing costs and transfer fes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
To answer your specific question - it is not a good deal. 99,9% of purchases made direct with the developer are not going to be good deal. You are paying an extra 60% to 90% in marketing, commissions and profits. 3400 points will not go far and will difficult just to give it away (after you have paid it off).

You can find a resale platinum 7,000 for $7,000 or less. Although you get more points with a platinum deed you don't pay more in maintenance fees compared to a gold or silver deed. The only thing you give up buying resale over direct is the elite status. However, you would need to purchase a minimum 14,000 points direct from HGVC to get the first tier elite. That would likely cost you $75,000 or more.

Crazych66

Reaction score
To answer your specific question - it is not a good deal. 99,9% of purchases made direct with the developer are not going to be good deal. You are paying an extra 60% to 90% in marketing, commissions and profits. 3400 points will not go far and will difficult just to give it away (after you have paid it off).

You can find a resale platinum 7,000 for $7,000 or less. Although you get more points with a platinum deed you don't pay more in maintenance fees compared to a gold or silver deed. The only thing you give up buying resale over direct is the elite status. However, you would need to purchase a minimum 14,000 points direct from HGVC to get the first tier elite. That would likely cost you $75,000 or more.
Thanks. We’d been reading this very thing on here and you summarized it very well. Thank you!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks. We’d been reading this very thing on here and you summarized it very well. Thank you!

HGV is not the best ownership for trading in RCI, its possible but there are extra fees and frankly HGV and DVC are the best rated systems in RCI so anything else will be a step down in quality. The sales people oversell it like its the best thing since sliced bread but there are much cheaper ways to trade in RCI.

Take a look in the Bargain Deals forum, there are some free Grandview timeshares that trade in RCI and have lower annual fees.

I’ve owned HGV for 20 years, traded once using RCI for a 3 day stay at HGV W 57th in NYC. Some people here use it for DVC but there are a very limited number of resorts that Disney deposits in RCI. I leverage my HGV points to stay at HGV resorts.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Thanks for the responses. Today we cancelled and will start getting smatree here!

And if you haven’t already, splurge for a TUG subscription. Best $15 you’ll ever spend! Welcome and enjoy the learning process. All of us were in similar situations to you at one point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
And if you haven’t already, splurge for a TUG subscription. Best $15 you’ll ever spend! Welcome and enjoy the learning process. All of us were in similar situations to you at one point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! Best $15 you will spend in vacationing.

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
The situation reminds me of this Iron Maiden song...

Run to the hills
Run for your lives

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk